Anyone here ever use nootropic (brain, cognitive) supplements?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I've explored the concept of nootropics. Basically I want to increase my focus and with it my "brain power" to assist in sharpening the mind, improving focus.

Long story short, any of you ever use brain supplements? If so, did they work other than a placebo effect? I know caffeine and sugar provide the brain energy, but I'm trying to cut down on that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've seen some sold online for ridiculous costs, I'd like to at least get some feedback before I ever consider some of this stuff. If I have to, I might pursue a cocktail of supplements.

I've explored the concept of nootropics. Basically I want to increase my focus and with it my "brain power" to assist in sharpening the mind, improving focus.

Long story short, any of you ever use brain supplements? If so, did they work other than a placebo effect? I know caffeine and sugar provide the brain energy, but I'm trying to cut down on that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've seen some sold online for ridiculous costs, I'd like to at least get some feedback before I ever consider some of this stuff. If I have to, I might pursue a cocktail of supplements.
No, but I HAVE stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....................................................I kid, I kid! In all seriousness, I've never tried these supplements.

First and foremost ... have you quit drinking any alcoholic beverages? ... if not, forget supplements, they won't work ... next, do you exercise your brain? ... spend time and study chess, focus on bringing your Elo rating up to 1600 USCF or 1800 ICC ... or if failure is an option, try to understand how the opposite sex thinks, that'll sharpen your mind ... if you're a man, stop multi-tasking, you just don't have enough DNA to do this and maybe dropping that habit is all you need to do ...

If you do try the supplement route, focus on general health ... if the rest of your body is healthy, then it will naturally follow your brain will be healthy ... Vitamin E specifically is difficult to get in processed foods, next would be getting your Vitamin B complex in proper balance ... and drink peppermint tea, two pints a day, cures everything (especially poverty in the peppermint growing regions of the world) ...

And under NO circumstances participate in political discussion boards on the internet ... that's like AIDS for the brain, will rot you from the inside out ...

First and foremost ... have you quit drinking any alcoholic beverages? ... if not, forget supplements, they won't work ... next, do you exercise your brain? ... spend time and study chess, focus on bringing your Elo rating up to 1600 USCF or 1800 ICC ... or if failure is an option, try to understand how the opposite sex thinks, that'll sharpen your mind ... if you're a man, stop multi-tasking, you just don't have enough DNA to do this and maybe dropping that habit is all you need to do ...

If you do try the supplement route, focus on general health ... if the rest of your body is healthy, then it will naturally follow your brain will be healthy ... Vitamin E specifically is difficult to get in processed foods, next would be getting your Vitamin B complex in proper balance ... and drink peppermint tea, two pints a day, cures everything (especially poverty in the peppermint growing regions of the world) ...

And under NO circumstances participate in political discussion boards on the internet ... that's like AIDS for the brain, will rot you from the inside out ...

I don't drink. I play chess almost daily, my rating on there has increased. In some time limits, it's improved greatly.

Meh, political discussion isn't all bad. There are a few nuggets of wisdom now and again.

Nice post, thanks.

Forum List

Back