Eat more Meat.

• Banned
Quote:

In recent years, the burgeoning vegan movement has tried to position itself not only as ethically minded, but also as a diet that will confer extraordinary health benefits. The ethical case for protecting animals from depraved living conditions and slaughter seems well justified, but the health benefits of veganism are questionable.

Earlier this year, the Guardian quoted Oxford academic Dr Marco Springmann: ‘If the world were to adopt a vegan diet by 2050, the global economy would benefit to the tune of $1.1 trillion savings in healthcare costs.’ Rick Miller, spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association, agrees: ‘There’s lots of well-controlled science and research to show that adopting a predominantly plant-based diet probably has the biggest impact on health [compared to other diets] for all the chronic diseases.’

Epidemiological studies have found correlations between meat intake and an increase in practically every leading cause of mortality – from heart attacks to stroke to cancer. Yet there is far more to the story than this simple correlation would imply. To understand why eating meat is not harmful but rather beneficial to our health, it is crucial to understand the difference between body weight and body composition.

Body weight tells us nothing about body composition, about how much of the body is muscle v fat. The amount of fat someone has is a much better predictor of their risk of developing preventable diseases. Many athletes are technically considered overweight or even obese when looking at weight alone, but they are actually in rude health because they have low levels of body fat.

Why veganism can be bad for your health.

Eat more meat
Real story:
15 years ago, one of our employees was in an office, he was married to a vegetarian. He tried to seem pleased and all argued about the harm of meat. For lunch, he ate a standard diet - grated carrots with sour cream and drinking a glass of boiled water. But he could not make a career and quit.
5 years ago, I saw him.
He divorced his wife, began to eat meat. And he became vice-president of a small bank.

• Banned
Why veganism can be bad for your health.

Eat more meat
Real story:
15 years ago, one of our employees was in an office, he was married to a vegetarian. He tried to seem pleased and all argued about the harm of meat. For lunch, he ate a standard diet - grated carrots with sour cream and drinking a glass of boiled water. But he could not make a career and quit.
5 years ago, I saw him.
He divorced his wife, began to eat meat. And he became vice-president of a small bank.

Vegans are one step further. No sour cream. Or anything dairy.

no meat means you have to take supplements to live

if you have to take supplements to live.....

Then they argue that you can get all your protein from beans. Usually black ones.
you can get more protein from beans and nuts than from meat.

it's just not the right protein and w/o the rest of what you get in meat you end up getting less into you.

and it's not just about protein, that's a huge mistake.

You can get a full protein from beans and a carb.

But veganism is mostly smarmy bullcrap. If someone doesn't want to eat animals, fine. That's their business. But the overbearing morally-superior lecturing from these people is as annoying as fuck.

That doesn't mean you should go and eat steak every meal of the day - fish is generally better for you. But meats have certain minerals your body needs.

But veganism is mostly smarmy bullcrap. If someone doesn't want to eat animals, fine. That's their business. But the overbearing morally-superior lecturing from these people is as annoying as fuck.

That doesn't mean you should go and eat steak every meal of the day - fish is generally better for you. But meats have certain minerals your body needs.
the fake moral highground bean eaters just make be want to put bacon on my bacon.

They can do what they like, and I even like some of their food. But it's the proselytising I can't stand. And the quoting of facts and figures, like reading from a spread sheet.

From the article

A vegan diet is only nutritionally complete with the supplementation of vitamins, such as Vitamin B12. Without careful management, veganism can lead to nutritional deficiency. In April, researchers at University College London warned parents with children on vegan diets that lack of protein can cause ‘irreversible damage’, including stunted growth and even brain damage. In 2016, a 14-month-old boy who had been fed a vegan diet by his parents was admitted to hospital with malnutrition.

But if eating a high-protein diet is so beneficial, why do studies find correlations between meat intake and poor health outcomes? The answer lies in the limitations of epidemiological studies. Such studies can be used to identify trends, but never a causal link between two variables. A higher meat intake is associated with a higher risk of death, but this is not because meat is unhealthy. Rather, it is because those who consume more meat are also more likely to smoke, drink heavily, overeat and under-exercise. Conversely, vegans tend to lead more virtuous lifestyles, doing more exercise and abstaining from tobacco and alcohol.​

My daughter flew over to visit me in the US. She had gone full-on vegan since the last time I'd seen her. The whole household ended up eating that way. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Three of us went out one day, to Chick-fil-A in protest.

From the article

A vegan diet is only nutritionally complete with the supplementation of vitamins, such as Vitamin B12. Without careful management, veganism can lead to nutritional deficiency. In April, researchers at University College London warned parents with children on vegan diets that lack of protein can cause ‘irreversible damage’, including stunted growth and even brain damage. In 2016, a 14-month-old boy who had been fed a vegan diet by his parents was admitted to hospital with malnutrition.

But if eating a high-protein diet is so beneficial, why do studies find correlations between meat intake and poor health outcomes? The answer lies in the limitations of epidemiological studies. Such studies can be used to identify trends, but never a causal link between two variables. A higher meat intake is associated with a higher risk of death, but this is not because meat is unhealthy. Rather, it is because those who consume more meat are also more likely to smoke, drink heavily, overeat and under-exercise. Conversely, vegans tend to lead more virtuous lifestyles, doing more exercise and abstaining from tobacco and alcohol.​

You can say that again.

Like 150 mile bicycle rallies, on Sunday mornings.

no meat means you have to take supplements to live

if you have to take supplements to live.....

Then they argue that you can get all your protein from beans. Usually black ones.

Its not just protiens but certain amino acids you get from meat. I believe eating meat is healthy but it must be kept in mind.... the quality of the meat which allows you to not overcook it. I do believe over cooked meat and fat can be harmful. It also breaks down the amino acid chains which are absorbed by your body when its over cooked

Killed-cow-for-Vegans.jpg

Forum List

Back