Easter Weekend yum yum

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Here's the menu...

Hill Meat spiral ham with their glaze. I think it will be good. It better be, I paid a fortune for it.

Candied sweet potatoes
Potato salad
Shrimp salad
Jello salad (wow a lot of salad, lol)
Carrots
Apple pie
Rolls

I feel like I need more green stuff; though the salad is green. I didn't get asparagus; I'm about asparagus'ed out.

Anyway, yum yum.

The potato salad:

Easter eggs from the hunt this morning....we had 16 and used 12. Peel and wash them, then cut them up. I let my daughter do it; pieces are unevened and frequently pastel.

One potato for every egg. I used twelve potatoes; peeled and cut and boiled in salted water until they're REALLY done.

1 can of medium black olives, halved (this is what kids are for)
3 big kosher garlic dills chopped coarsely
3 green onions, chopped

Mix vigorously with salt, pepper, a dash of garlic powder, and about 1-1/2 C +/- of Best Food's mayo (Hellman's).

Sometimes I add a dash of pickle juice if it tastes like it needs it, but this time, it was perfect.

• Banned
Candied sweet potatoes:

Baked sweet potatoes. After baking for a long time until they're all the way done, let them sit for a good long time and then the jackets will just lift right off.

Brown sugar
Canned milk or any sort of cream.
Salt
Butter
Marshmallows

Cut up sweet potatoes or just mash them. Mix with butter, cream, brown sugar, salt. You can do this anyway you want. You can do it like mashed potatoes, where everything is mashed together uniformly; or you can melt the butter and brown sugar, mis in a little cream or milk and pour it over the cut up potatoes (in a casserole dish, incidentally).

Cover the top with marshmallows. Bake @ 350 or whatever until the marshmallows are brown.

• Banned
Easy jello salad (really super easy):

Red Jello
Bananas

Make the jello. Let it set until almost completely set.

Slice up firm bananas.

Fold them in.

Yup that's it, lol.

But you serve it with whipped cream, and lots of it. The kids will gobble it and it will keep them from getting sick on all the other crap (candy and sechlike) that they'll be eating. I serve this with dinner; I don't serve it as a dessert. Because there will be someone who doesn't want anything else that's on the table....most likely the kid that has eaten the most candy so far. Jello w/banana and whipped cream will keep that kid quiet at the table.

Last edited:
turkey breast on grill....mac/cheese, asparagus, salad, sweet tater casserole...i add pineapple and pecans but i slow cook them just like you ....i find 350 is good for that ....i will bake them tonight....
yeast rolls...deviled eggs...chocolate covered strawberries.....cheesecake..chocolate chip cookies and i am hoping coconut cookies...beer/tea/wine/water

• Banned
turkey breast on grill....mac/cheese, asparagus, salad, sweet tater casserole...i add pineapple and pecans but i slow cook them just like you ....i find 350 is good for that ....i will bake them tonight....
yeast rolls...deviled eggs...chocolate covered strawberries.....cheesecake..chocolate chip cookies and i am hoping coconut cookies...beer/tea/wine/water

Oh YUM that sounds good too...

We'll devil eggs tomorrow; we'll use the eggs the kids color tonight and hunt for tomorrow.

I really always want to bug out on the pie, but sometimes you just have to make it, you know? I haven't made any in a long time; I can't even remember the last time. When I was with the kids' dad and we had a huge houseful of kids, I made apple pies like crazy. They're cheap. And pretty much everybody will eat apple pie. I don't think I ever threw any out.

Smoked alligator tail ( black cayman) here with chayote-green banana-sausage picadillo and home grown pita and hummus.
Gotsta heat up the Dutch oven and do the pita. The rest is done.

My pies are in...but, per usual something always happens...this time, no pie plates. Where are they? I have no idea. They've been farmed out (with pies) to one and all and I guess I didn't get them back. So I had to buy fake pie plate at the store. So the pies are sorta small and funky, lol.

Forum List

Back