My Best Chicken Dish

dannyboys

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2013
With over fifty years daily cooking experience, some in my own restaurant, this is one of my best self created chicken recipes.
The point is less is more sometimes.
Very clear tasting.
My very best self created Halal chicken dish ever. Sort of Basque inspired in that they don’t use many herbs or spices. We can get Halal chicken at my butcher but any chicken will do.

In large SS sauce pan meaning tall sides and enough area to easily hold four chicken thighs

1 1/2 C water

2 T best olive oil

1 large white onion finely diced

the rough chopped crushed cloves of 1 large garlic. Seems like a lot but the dish has no strong garlic flavour.

simmer gently until the onion/garlics are cooked…..about ten minutes

Stir in 3 or 4 T of Salsa (heat range is up to you. I use mild) or 2 T of tomato paste or 3T ketchup

Stir in 2 C of rough chopped button mushrooms

Add 2T of best quality paprika. Not the cheap shit!

Add 1t sea salt

Stir in about 1 1/2 to 2 T of cooled roux. This I made before and let cool. The roux is 2 T of butter and 2 T flour.

Cover with a lid and slow simmer for about 15 minutes
Adjust the thickness of the sauce using a white fruity wine. You don't want the wine to dominate the sauce so I use it sparingly. You want the sauce to be not too thin or too thick. About the consistency of cream.

Place on top of the sauce 4 large chicken thighs skin left on. Use either bone in or boneless.

Place about 2 C of quartered carrots cut about three inches long on top of the thighs.

Cover and slow simmer for about ten minutes then turn the thighs over and slow simmer for another ten minutes.

When you turn the thighs make sure the carrots are well submerged in the sauce.

Before serving season with salt but no pepper.

The dish is now ready to serve.

Notice only the salsa/tomato paste or ketchup has any herbs.

The key is for the basic ingredients to have their flavours dominate.

If you are serving four peel and cube into about 1 1/2 inches cubes 2 large russet potatoes and hard simmer them starting in salted cold water until they are just cooked. This will only take about five minutes.

Drain but leave a few T of the cooking water with the potatoes.

Add to the potatoes about 3 T of butter and the juice of 1 lemon. I squeeze the lemon into a bowl so I can remove any lemon pips.

Cover the potatoes and put on very low heat until the potatoes have absorbed the butter/lemon.

You will find the lemon adds a very nice taste treat to the potatoes.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

My Best Chicken Dish

Sorry... Just had to do it... :dunno:

$_35.JPG

With over fifty years daily cooking experience, some in my own restaurant, this is one of my best self created chicken recipes.
The point is less is more sometimes.
Very clear tasting.
My very best self created Halal chicken dish ever. Sort of Basque inspired in that they don’t use many herbs or spices. We can get Halal chicken at my butcher but any chicken will do.

In large SS sauce pan meaning tall sides and enough area to easily hold four chicken thighs

1 1/2 C water

2 T best olive oil

1 large white onion finely diced

the rough chopped crushed cloves of 1 large garlic. Seems like a lot but the dish has no strong garlic flavour.

simmer gently until the onion/garlics are cooked…..about ten minutes

Stir in 3 or 4 T of Salsa (heat range is up to you. I use mild) or 2 T of tomato paste or 3T ketchup

Stir in 2 C of rough chopped button mushrooms

Add 2T of best quality paprika. Not the cheap shit!

Add 1t sea salt

Stir in about 1 1/2 to 2 T of cooled roux. This I made before and let cool. The roux is 2 T of butter and 2 T flour.

Cover with a lid and slow simmer for about 15 minutes
Adjust the thickness of the sauce using a white fruity wine. You don't want the wine to dominate the sauce so I use it sparingly. You want the sauce to be not too thin or too thick. About the consistency of cream.

Place on top of the sauce 4 large chicken thighs skin left on. Use either bone in or boneless.

Place about 2 C of quartered carrots cut about three inches long on top of the thighs.

Cover and slow simmer for about ten minutes then turn the thighs over and slow simmer for another ten minutes.

When you turn the thighs make sure the carrots are well submerged in the sauce.

Before serving season with salt but no pepper.

The dish is now ready to serve.

Notice only the salsa/tomato paste or ketchup has any herbs.

The key is for the basic ingredients to have their flavours dominate.

If you are serving four peel and cube into about 1 1/2 inches cubes 2 large russet potatoes and hard simmer them starting in salted cold water until they are just cooked. This will only take about five minutes.

Drain but leave a few T of the cooking water with the potatoes.

Add to the potatoes about 3 T of butter and the juice of 1 lemon. I squeeze the lemon into a bowl so I can remove any lemon pips.

Cover the potatoes and put on very low heat until the potatoes have absorbed the butter/lemon.

You will find the lemon adds a very nice taste treat to the potatoes.

ENJOY!!!!!!!
Just add some red wine, little cinnamon, to your dish over rice and it'll be a Moroccan style dish.

I like Chicken thighs browned like you did with olive oil butter garlic and onions, but replace tomato based ingredients with tablespoons of pumpkin filling and soy milk in place of cream and add Curry spice to make a unique INDIA style dish.

Forum List

Back