Earthquake hits Pennsylvania

A quake in the city of Bolivar, PA last night shook the city.

No deaths reported as of yet.

wow a 2.9.....unless you are right were that is happening you may not even feel that....

Even IF you were right on top of it 99.9999999% would not feel it.
i was ten miles from a 3.1 it knocked me back unto the side of my truck and all the garage doors on the street i was delivering on seemed to be sucked in and then out.....you would feel a 2.9 if you were on top of it.....

wow a 2.9.....unless you are right were that is happening you may not even feel that....

i was ten miles from a 3.1 it knocked me back unto the side of my truck and all the garage doors on the street i was delivering on seemed to be sucked in and then out.....you would feel a 2.9 if you were on top of it.....

I'm a geologist, and no, you wouldn't. There's no way a 3.1 could do that to you either. Most people won't notice a 3.5 down to a 3.0. If you are in a quiet room the effect is similar to a truck passing outside.

A 4.1 could move you like you describe. Especially if you were standing on quaternary aluvium and the ground is saturated.

"....you would feel a 2.9 if you were on top of it....."

Not necessarily so.....
From Phys.Org
"A quake's destructive force depends not only on its strength, but also on location, distance from the epicenter and depth."

Your 3.1 may have been a shallow quake where-as the one last night in PA. may have been a deep one. Many factors attribute to the severity of a quake.

I'm a geologist, and no, you wouldn't. There's no way a 3.1 could do that to you either. Most people won't notice a 3.5 down to a 3.0. If you are in a quiet room the effect is similar to a truck passing outside.

A 4.1 could move you like you describe. Especially if you were standing on quaternary aluvium and the ground is saturated.
sorry you are right west i got the wrong numbers it was a 4.1.....but i have felt lots that were less than 3.5......we used to get them quit often....but there aint nothing like experiencing the big ones like the high 6's and the 7.3 Landers quake....

sorry you are right west i got the wrong numbers it was a 4.1.....but i have felt lots that were less than 3.5......we used to get them quit often....but there aint nothing like experiencing the big ones like the high 6's and the 7.3 Landers quake....

Yes, I have "enjoyed" the effects of several in the 7.0+ range.

quite a rush aint it?....

It's the FRACKING!!!!!.....It's ALL because of the FRACKING!!!!! Stop the FRACKING!!!!!!

Sorry. I figured some nut job was gonna start screaming that so I figured I would get it out of the way.

7.6 for me in 2012. Many other 5-6.5

Oh, yeah. After 30 seconds of shaking you begin to figure out it's going to be a doozy.

i go with this answer based on words that appear to mean what they should and i don't feel like looking them up. :)

that and he's a geologist.

Oh, yeah. After 30 seconds of shaking you begin to figure out it's going to be a doozy.
i was in seattle in 96 when we got hit. it was so bizzarre. i was talking to my brother in law in orlando and i stopped the conversation and said "hey, the table is shaking, the couch is shaking - wow, we're all shaking EARTHQUAKE and got up and did the little dance too. hung up with my brother in law and saw my best friend at the time just give a blank look and calmly walk outside.

don't remember how "big" it was but it was pretty amazing.

7.6 for me in 2012. Many other 5-6.5

My biggest was a 7.9, but I was on bedrock so didn't have any problems.

The Covid Quake

Forum List

Back