Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Compasses are very inaccurate due to the earths massive tilt
You are not really going north
You’re going more NW

The compass that points N is actually pointing to the South Pole?? You’re going N but the pole is misnamed
They need to rename the Poles to match the compass

You’re going more NW

The compass that points N is actually pointing to the South Pole?? You’re going N but the pole is misnamed
It's not the tilt it's the spinning...A compass displays the magnetic north.
The magnetic and geographic poles don’t line up

You’re going more NW

There's magnetic north and true north. We always used true north when navigating our map courses (treks through the wilderness).

You’re going more NW

Of course not they are around twenty degrees off. But it also depends where you are on the Earth and the degree of declination.

You’re going more NW

There's magnetic north and true north. We always used true north when navigating our map courses (treks through the wilderness).
Depends on your longitude

You’re going more NW

I didn't go to Ranger school in the Army, so I never learned much about compasses. That's why they made the GPS, for dummies like me.

You’re going more NW

I didn't go to Ranger school in the Army, so I never learned much about compasses. That's why they made the GPS, for dummies like me.
You didn't need to go to Ranger school to learn how to use a compass it was part of basic training.

You’re going more NW

You didn't need to go to Ranger school to learn how to use a compass it was part of basic training.
Many don’t know this !!
I am just sharing my HS Science knowledge and it helps me to remember

You’re going more NW

Many don’t know this !!
I am just sharing my HS Science knowledge and it helps me to remember
I learned in Boy Scouts or was it Webelos?

You’re going more NW

And lining up less all the time. But whether you are going NW to get to North pole, kind of depends on where you are starting from,right. Granted magnetic north pole is shifting to the west.

You’re going more NW

They covered it rudimentarily. Those who went to get an 11B20 Infantry MOS and especially those who went for Airborne training and Ranger school got far more schooling in the use of a compass and a map.

How do I know that? My MOS was 13E20, or Fire Direction Control in the 2/10 Field Artillery Battalion at Ft. Benning. My Bn trained the Airborne Rangers in the use of calling in artillery strikes, so they had to know their compass.

The better nautical charts will show lines of equal magnetic deviation ... so captains or pilots know precisely the difference between compass heading and true heading ...

You’re going more NW

It's much more complex than that.

Yes, you're right about the Earth's magnetic north pole really being the south pole, in the strict sense of how poles are defined on magnets. Magnets were defined by which direction which pole tends to point, and since opposite poles attract, the Earth's magnetic north pole, which attracts the north pole of a magnet, is really the south pole.

Scientific nomenclature is littered with such odd little inconsistencies,based on more primitive abilities to make sense of what could be observed. In his experiments with electricity, Benjamin Franklin spent some time observing arcs, trying to determine which way they jumped. Once he thought he had as good a guess as he could make, he defined the positive pole as that from which he thought electricity was coming, and negative as where he thought it was going. To this day, much work is done using the “conventional flow” assumption, that electricity flows from positive to negative, though now we know that it is electrons that are actually moving, and in the opposite of that direction. Electrons, of course, have a “negative” charge, only because “Positive” and “Negative” were defined well before we knew what we were actually defining.

Anyway, back to the Earth and its magnetic field, and how it relates to a compass and a dip needle. It's much more complex than what most people assume, that no matter where you are on Earth, that the compass' needle will point straight toward the magnetic poles. As this map shows, the magnetic field does not run along straight lines, and this is only showing it in two dimensions. You wouldn't be able to tell from this map, but where I am in Sacramento, California, the magnetic field is actually running close to vertical. magnetic north is more or less northish, but much closer to straight down than to north.

1605489906788.png

You’re going more NW

They covered it rudimentarily. Those who went to get an 11B20 Infantry MOS and especially those who went for Airborne training and Ranger school got far more schooling in the use of a compass and a map.

How do I know that? My MOS was 13E20, or Fire Direction Control in the 2/10 Field Artillery Battalion at Ft. Benning. My Bn trained the Airborne Rangers in the use of calling in artillery strikes, so they had to know their compass.
Ah, a technical bush beater, killer...

You’re going more NW

Spare me the pain, True North is the Earth' Axis. Uranus doesn't have an axis cause something big hit it.

Last edited:
You’re going more NW

Damned global warming! :mad:

Chicago. ESAW.

Once you have figured that out you're able to make better use of a magnetic compass.
Blame the rotating Iron core for why the magnetic compass fails. We are on the verge for a reversal of polarity. What else can go wrong in 2020?

You’re going more NW

True North is based on the pole. Magnetic North shifts because it is based on and effected by the iron molten core of the Earth.

True North can be determined by the constellations, where Magnetic North cannot.

Forum List

Back