Driver Safety and Caution

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I was reading on a neighborhood forum today a rant by a local driver who has had two accidents and apparently several close calls while driving recently, all caused by people using cellphones.

I don't doubt the woman, but...

Over the years I have been taught three acceptable approaches to driving, to wit...
  • What I will call "Option Zero" is simply driving with the assumption that everyone else on the road will drive legally and competently. That option is not acceptable.
  • Option One is "Defensive Driving." DD is NOT assuming that everyone else on the road is going to behave properly, and taking caution, for example when starting out at a red light to ensure that nobody in the crossing lanes is going to run the light and, let's say, kill you. That's OK.
  • Option Two, which I learned at a MSF course, and I recommend for motorcyclists is to assume that other people will do the stupid or dangerous thing, and drive (ride) accordingly.
  • Option Three, which I have adopted on my own, is one level up from Option Two: Assume that everyone on the road is out to get you. I drive my car under Option Two and ride my MC under Option Three.
For example, I do not make turns across traffic. Period. If I need to get to a home or business that is on the opposite side of the road, I arrange my route so that I will be turning Right into that business. If a driver pulling out of a driveway does not look directly at me, I try not to proceed until s/he does. (One reason why I HATE dark tinted glass on cars).

As a result of the way I drive, I RARELY have any "close calls." Maybe one or two a year. I haven't been in a collision since 1975, when a woman ran into the back of my car when I slowed down for a car turning left ahead of me. I can't remember the last time I felt threatened on my MC. At least 20 years ago.

But as time goes by I wonder if I've just been lucky. EVERYBODY has close calls and the occasional accident, right?

What is normal for a competent driver?

I would add to that waiting and looking for a second or two before starting through an intersection on a green light. Driver inattention and late yellow (i.e., red) light entry into intersections seems to be constantly increasing.

Another tip is to assume that the other driver is a complete moron when you are backing out of a blind parking space. Many people speed up to get around you without any conception of your limited visibility.

I was reading on a neighborhood forum today a rant by a local driver who has had two accidents and apparently several close calls while driving recently, all caused by people using cellphones.

I don't doubt the woman, but...

Over the years I have been taught three acceptable approaches to driving, to wit...
  • What I will call "Option Zero" is simply driving with the assumption that everyone else on the road will drive legally and competently. That option is not acceptable.
  • Option One is "Defensive Driving." DD is NOT assuming that everyone else on the road is going to behave properly, and taking caution, for example when starting out at a red light to ensure that nobody in the crossing lanes is going to run the light and, let's say, kill you. That's OK.
  • Option Two, which I learned at a MSF course, and I recommend for motorcyclists is to assume that other people will do the stupid or dangerous thing, and drive (ride) accordingly.
  • Option Three, which I have adopted on my own, is one level up from Option Two: Assume that everyone on the road is out to get you. I drive my car under Option Two and ride my MC under Option Three.
For example, I do not make turns across traffic. Period. If I need to get to a home or business that is on the opposite side of the road, I arrange my route so that I will be turning Right into that business. If a driver pulling out of a driveway does not look directly at me, I try not to proceed until s/he does. (One reason why I HATE dark tinted glass on cars).

As a result of the way I drive, I RARELY have any "close calls." Maybe one or two a year. I haven't been in a collision since 1975, when a woman ran into the back of my car when I slowed down for a car turning left ahead of me. I can't remember the last time I felt threatened on my MC. At least 20 years ago.

But as time goes by I wonder if I've just been lucky. EVERYBODY has close calls and the occasional accident, right?

What is normal for a competent driver?
I was read your forum and I give you some components of a normal driver below:

Talented
One of the main characteristics of a decent driver is that the person in question ought to be sufficiently talented to deal with any circumstance out and about. A decent driver ought to have the right stuff to control the vehicle in each circumstance.

Information
Expertise is not by any means the only quality that a decent driver has. The individual in question ought to likewise have appropriate and finish information on pretty much every one of the important principles of the street. A decent driver likewise knows about their vehicle.

Self-control
It is extremely simple to encourage others to drive according to rules however being self-restraint while driving is perhaps the best nature of a decent driver. Perhaps crossing a red light makes you look cool for quite a while yet in addition seriously jeopardizes your life while on street.

Persistence
At the point when you are out and about, not a race will return home or work first, since everybody has an alternate objective. Subsequently, showing restraint is an awesome and important nature of a decent driver.

Readiness
Not every person is a decent driver like you, there are many individuals out and about who dislike you. Subsequently, being a decent driver, you should be totally ready and constantly out and about for the well-being of yourself and individuals like you.

Mechanical Skills
Dislike an expert technician however a decent driver ought to know the essential mechanical abilities so that when the need emerges, the individual in question can investigate the fundamental issues of their vehicle.

Mindful
One of the main characteristics of a decent driver is that the person is capable. You won't necessarily be traveling solo in the vehicle. Consequently, it is vital to be mindful and deal with individuals going with you.

Enough Practice
Practice makes a man wonderful which is the justification for why you ought to have to the point of being a decent driver. Likewise, the more you practice, you will get more used to the circumstances out and about.

Care for vehicle
Being a decent driver likewise includes dealing with the vehicle one is driving. This implies keeping a beware of the opportune overhauling of the vehicle alongside fuel utilization.

Wellness
Wellness is likewise one of the significant characteristics of a decent driver. In the event that an individual is fit to drive, just the person in question is given a permit to drive a vehicle, regardless of which vehicle it is. A normal driver must know all the driving safety tips.

These are components that I know. I think these components may help you.

Forum List

Back