Drinking The Blood of the Great Patriot

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Well...not really drinking blood...but the Limey's did refer to it that way.

And....today is the anniversary of that appellation....here's why:

1. Yesterday, October 21 was the anniversary of the momentous naval Battle of Trafalgar (1805). Lord Nelson, the 'Great Patriot' of the title, fought against Napoleon's combined French and Spanish fleet.

2. In an amazing end-around, Nelson broke with traditional naval warfare by dividing his forces in two, the first attacking sections of the enemy line, while the other attacks at right angles, breaking through the lines and cutting off retreat. While the enemy had 33 ships, and Nelson only 27, he sunk or captured 15 while losing none.

a. Trafalgar was to be the last major pitched battle between two large fleets of sailing wooden warships. Within sixty years the first iron battleships was launched. The new technology was steam engines and ever-thicker armor.

3. Nelson flew this signal from is ship: England expects that every man will do his duty. Just prior to the great battle, Nelson went down to his cabin and composed the following prayer:
“May the great God whom I worship grant to my country and for the benefit of Europe in general a great and glorious victory…For myself, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may His blessing light upon my endeavors for serving my country faithfully.”

Wounded, his last word were “I have done my duty. I thank God for it.”

4. Now....France and Spain were Catholic...and every dead sailor had to be brought home and interred in holy ground. Not so for Britain, which 'buried' the dead at sea.
But not the hero Nelson!

5. On this day, October 22, 1805, the body of the great Lord Nelson was brought back on board the Victory. Unable to make a coffin, Nelson’s body was placed in a large cask, called a leaguer, which was now filled with brandy.

Since then, navy-issued rum has been named “Nelson’s blood.”

As a U.S. Marine I was invited on a British ship In Jamaica in the early 60's and shared a portion of their legendary rum rations. I found it to be a little watered down compared to the shore faire. Sadly it seems that the rum rations were fazed out in the British Empire in 1970.

Forum List

Back