DOW down nearly 1000 points

I just don't see the concern or the difference. I am in support of transparency in political support, but not limits.

And the whole "ALL CORPORATIONS ARE EVUL" Schtick is getting old.

All corporations are not evil. But, it is in the interest of a lead mining company to cheaply dump mine tailings, which is directly against the public interest of protecting the environment.

Tar Creek Superfund site - Wikipedia

it is in their best interest to reduce costs within the law. Assuming they would just dump the tailings knowing the damage it would cause implies you think they are evil.
Hence why we need regulations because Marty says Corporations will not do the right thing unless forced to do so.

Regulations are one thing, onerous regulations that do nothing than make work for lawyers, or even worse are stealth attempts at banning a given industry or practice is something else.

As an example, reasonable limits on stack discharges for a given power plant, good. Making those limits so onerous as to make it impossible to generate power with that method economically, bad.

The petroleum industry fought to keep leaded gas legal for a decade or more, because it was an "onerous" to force the industry to retool refineries. After all, poisoning the air never hurt anybody. The tobacco industry did even worse.

You forget that cars also had to be redesigned to work on unleaded gas.

All corporations are not evil. But, it is in the interest of a lead mining company to cheaply dump mine tailings, which is directly against the public interest of protecting the environment.

Tar Creek Superfund site - Wikipedia

it is in their best interest to reduce costs within the law. Assuming they would just dump the tailings knowing the damage it would cause implies you think they are evil.
Hence why we need regulations because Marty says Corporations will not do the right thing unless forced to do so.

Regulations are one thing, onerous regulations that do nothing than make work for lawyers, or even worse are stealth attempts at banning a given industry or practice is something else.

As an example, reasonable limits on stack discharges for a given power plant, good. Making those limits so onerous as to make it impossible to generate power with that method economically, bad.

The petroleum industry fought to keep leaded gas legal for a decade or more, because it was an "onerous" to force the industry to retool refineries. After all, poisoning the air never hurt anybody. The tobacco industry did even worse.

Oh, the AGONY!

Oh, the AGONY!

yes it would be if you had to buy a new car if leaded gas was rapidly phased out instead of gradually.

Oh, the AGONY!

yes it would be if you had to buy a new car if leaded gas was rapidly phased out instead of gradually.

Maybe you are not old enough to remember that they have been selling unleaded gasoline at the pump at least since the 1940's.

Well, the stock market took another big dive today. Wonder if this is going to continue for the rest of this week, especially in light of how many more companies and travel services that are being shut down.

Well, the stock market took another big dive today. Wonder if this is going to continue for the rest of this week, especially in light of how many more companies and travel services that are being shut down.

I'm betting a further drop, considering that not even a Fed rate cut could turn the tide.

I suspect that the market is going to form a rather large trading zone around current levels. Until investors are able to determine the virus's effect on earnings, I expect the market to be turbulent with more thousand point days ahead. One big unknown is how warmer weather will effect the spread of the virus. If the current rate that it is spreading continues globally continues in the warmer months, then we are going to be in for a huge drop in the market. However, if reported cases start dropping with warmer temperatures then we will probably be testing new highs this summer if not sooner.

Oh, the AGONY!

Maybe you are not old enough to remember that they have been selling unleaded gasoline at the pump at least since the 1940's.

and most cars were still made to run on leaded gas until the change was mandated.

I still remember as a kid my father having to add an additive every tank to keep some old clunker running when lead gas was phased out.

So if I understood CNBC last nite one or more of the big banks is in trouble again and the elevator down in the market was their blackmailing the FED into this big rate cut....CNBC called it pricing in a rate cut. Obviously we need a FED Chairman more beholden to the people than the banks. Bailout was theft....are you ready to be robbed again.

Forum List

Back