Dopey Donald Trump dithers while economy burns ... The US might already be in a recession

I'm no fan of Trump, but this was going to happen from the moment the first person was infected.

Exactly, this is a textbook Black Swan event. It doesn't matter who is President, this type of thing will cause problems. One look around the world is all it takes to make this point.

While Dopey Donald Trump is blubbering and whining the US economy is in flames.

Air travel has almost ceased. Boeing appears in desperate trouble.

The cruise ship business has stopped.

Travel businesses are shriveled.

Stores and shops are closed.

Concert business moribund.

Sporting events canceled.

Oil and gas industry withers as price falls.

People told to avoid the office and stay home.

Pay checks have dried up.

Dopey Donald Trump is out of his depth.

The US might already be in a recession

Peter Coy 20 hrs ago

NCAA tournament games closed to fans

Let’s just say it: The longest economic expansion in U.S. history may already be over, killed by Covid-19.

It might seem crazy to talk about a recession when jobs are plentiful. Today the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced a decline in the February unemployment rate to 3.5%, tying a 50-year low.

But a recession isn’t when things are bad. It’s when they aren’t quite as good as they were at the peak. (Conversely, an “expansion” begins when the economy hits bottom and starts back up.)

When economic historians look back, they may pick February as the peak of the expansion that began in June 2009. That would give it a longevity of 128 months, the longest in records maintained by the National Bureau of Economic Research going back to 1854.

This wouldn’t be the first time the U.S. was in a recession without knowing it. In the summer of 2008 policymakers of the Federal Reserve were still predicting decent economic growth for that year and the next—even though a recession had begun the previous December, as later determined by the business cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research. ...

Trump is putting people before the "economy".

And leftists whine. What morons... the stock market will be back up soon enough after Trump has saved as many Americans as possible from the death virus.

Peter Coy 20 hrs ago

Let’s just say it: The longest economic expansion in U.S. history may already be over, killed by Covid-19.

It might seem crazy to talk about a recession when jobs are plentiful. Today the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced a decline in the February unemployment rate to 3.5%, tying a 50-year low.

But a recession isn’t when things are bad. It’s when they aren’t quite as good as they were at the peak. (Conversely, an “expansion” begins when the economy hits bottom and starts back up.)

When economic historians look back, they may pick February as the peak of the expansion that began in June 2009. That would give it a longevity of 128 months, the longest in records maintained by the National Bureau of Economic Research going back to 1854.

This wouldn’t be the first time the U.S. was in a recession without knowing it. In the summer of 2008 policymakers of the Federal Reserve were still predicting decent economic growth for that year and the next—even though a recession had begun the previous December, as later determined by the business cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research. ...

Trump is putting people before the "economy".

And leftists whine. What morons... the stock market will be back up soon enough after Trump has saved as many Americans as possible from the death virus.

Dopey Donald Trump is the most dangerous virus.

Trump permitted the murder of Jamal Khashoggi by MBS to further the Trump personal economy.

Donald Trump's favorite charity is Donald Trump.

Peter Coy 20 hrs ago

The announcement that no passengers in Europe will be allowed into the US for 30 days?
There goes American Airlines.
Plane-crash-800x445.jpg

Think of all the American tourists in Europe right now taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower and visiting museums and cathedrals. A lot of them have probably saved for years to have this trip of a lifetime, and now they've got to figure out a way to live there for a MONTH? And businessmen? I know some major corporations already stopped international visits, but not all. Talk about Australians pulling knives over toilet paper. Can you imagine European airports today, with all the Americans trying to get home TODAY?
I'll tell you what, I am VERY GLAD that I am not a worker at an American embassy in Europe today, while all those people try to get home before the ban begins tomorrow.

Think of all the American tourists in Europe right now taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower and visiting museums and cathedrals. A lot of them have probably saved for years to have this trip of a lifetime, and now they've got to figure out a way to live there for a MONTH? And businessmen? I know some major corporations already stopped international visits, but not all. Talk about Australians pulling knives over toilet paper. Can you imagine European airports today, with all the Americans trying to get home TODAY?
I'll tell you what, I am VERY GLAD that I am not a worker at an American embassy in Europe today, while all those people try to get home before the ban begins tomorrow.

Lives of Americans should be the number 1 priority, period!

The stock market and economy? A far distant 2nd.

Anyone who disagrees publicly, should remember that if an elderly relative of yours dies.

Once this passes, the market will come back. But, if your elderly relative dies, they will NEVER come back!

Peter Coy 20 hrs ago

The world is in a pandemic, people are dying, and this nutcase is looking to blame someone for his stocks going down. smh Liberals care about no one but themselves.

^^^ Uneducated on the topic ^^^ The ban does not include American citizens. As a prudent measure, they may be tested on arrival back in the states. Liberals! smh Everyone of them is that ignorant guy at work we all know that complains about everything but offers no solutions.

Anyone who disagrees publicly, should remember that if an elderly relative of yours dies.

Once this passes, the market will come back. But, if your elderly relative dies, they will NEVER come back!
I am not necessarily disagreeing with the decision--I am just empathizing with all the Americans who are stuck in Europe right now. Does that make sense? I'm one of those at risk, so I may be dead before this passes. However, until then I need to eat and I am terrified my job (I'm in education, part-time, no bennies through an adult ed program) will be shut down for the duration.

^^^ Uneducated on the topic ^^^ The ban does not include American citizens. As a prudent measure, they may be tested on arrival back in the states. Liberals! smh Everyone of them is that ignorant guy at work we all know that complains about everything but offers no solutions.
Thanks for the information; where did you get it? I read one article that didn't mention details.

Don't forget that Europe is struggling with this same pandemic and measures to contain it.. Many of those touristy places are closing or are already.

Anyone over there for a vacation is already having their planned activities being curtailed by those countries, business's and sites of attraction.

Nobody planned this happening to this extent and sometimes shit happens that ruin your plans...……..I would expect anyone over there to change their plans ASAP to get home before travel is shut off

Thanks for the information; where did you get it? I read one article that didn't mention details.

I saw it on the news last night. My brother in law is in Germany right now and we thought he would be stuck until they outlined the particulars. Also saw it here.

How will this affect Americans traveling from Europe?
The department plans to issue a notice "requiring U.S. passengers that have been" traveling in parts of Europe to "travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures," said Acting Secretary Chad Wolf.

Vice President Mike Pence said in an interview with CNN Thursday that Americans and legal residents returning to the US from Europe will be funneled through 13 airports for screening. He did not name the airports.

The travelers will also have to self quarantine for 14 days, Pence said.

Coronavirus: What travelers should know after Europe travel ban

------
No fun if you're vacationing for sure. But given the state of the pandemic and looking at other places like Italy it seems like a good precaution. Oh, the United Kingdom is excluded. Last note, many tourist attractions in Europe are already closing anyway.

Last edited:

Peter Coy 20 hrs ago

The world is in a pandemic, people are dying, and this nutcase is looking to blame someone for his stocks going down. smh Liberals care about no one but themselves.

You are right. Dopey Donald Trump is a nutcase who seeks only lies and excuses to divert the blame away from his actions and inactions.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with the decision--I am just empathizing with all the Americans who are stuck in Europe right now. Does that make sense? I'm one of those at risk, so I may be dead before this passes. However, until then I need to eat and I am terrified my job (I'm in education, part-time, no bennies through an adult ed program) will be shut down for the duration.

I understand OL, and I sympathize, honest.

Try suggesting to your employer to at least temporarily move classes online, then you protect yourself, and your students.

And while I usually do not agree with your politics OL, I expect you to keep yourself as safe as possible. You seem sincere, and a very decent person. I expect you to stay around as a voice of reason on here, and in the country.

Just hunker down for a little while my friend. Stick your head up in a few weeks, and see how things are going.

In the meantime, come on here and pass your free time debating with me. I will treat you with respect, I promise!

Just so you know-------> I am in Florida at this moment, and because of what is going on, I am leaving very early to return home. If I have to get ill, rather there than here. Very disconcerting, but the prudent thing to do.

Take care.

Peter Coy 20 hrs ago

You are right. Dopey Donald Trump is a nutcase who seeks only lies and excuses to divert the blame away from his actions and inactions.

Don't worry. The pandemic will subside and your precious stocks will recover. But right now the President is trying to save American lives.

damn quote feature won't work at the moment...…..BUT...……@OldLady I would suspect any time loss from your job will be compensated atleast in part by the financial protections the Administration is working on.

ETA......even that didn't work, hmmmmmmm

At a time when America needs a leader, they can trust and rely on, America is cursed with a dishonest self-absorbed known prolific liar.
"known" ? lol. More like perceived, by those dumb enough to be duped by leftist media propaganda.

I have challenged dozens of posters claiming Tump to have told lies. I asked them to produce ONE lie told by Trump. None have ever succeeded.

Forum List

Back