DOMA ruled unconstitutional

BOSTON — An appeals court ruled Thursday that a law that denies a host of federal benefits to gay married couples is unconstitutional.

The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston said the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, discriminates against gay couples.

The law was passed in 1996 at a time when it appeared Hawaii would legalize gay marriage. Since then, many states have instituted their own bans on gay marriage, while eight states have approved it, led by Massachusetts in 2004

:clap:

Boston court: Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional - BostonHerald.com

i guess the judges forgot to read the bible.

:rofl:
This puts Roberts court in a very difficult position. Good. They can earn their pay the right way.

A civil Union should be for ANY two people who wish to share their lives however they want.

Its an easy unexpensive way to say "hey were a finacial unit".

Its none of ANYONES business why they are a unit.

Last edited:
Guess it was that damn racist, bigoted, hateful, homophobic DEMOCRAT president in 1996 that allowed DOMA to be passed...Bill Clinton.

Yes he did. He learned the time was not yet right and he bowed to political necessity. I'm sure he's laughing now and thinking "I knew it wouldn't last."

That's right, he understood it can't get knocked down until someone props it up first.

Yep....now there is the beginning of documented case law on the matter.

But....if two straight men are roommates, and one has employer provided health insurance, and the other doesn't, they can pretend to be gay, get a shotgun-wedding for cheap, then claim they are both in the one insurance plan. Fraud? Scam? Yep. Hell, a guy with insurance could allow another male friend to "rent" his insurance for a fee. Fake a marriage, and the other guy pays a rental fee per month to be on that guys insurance. I'm sure this scam already exists with male/females though.

But what can we do. Society is "evolving".

Back when I was a notary, a older man came in with a young man. He was barely 18. They had entered into a California civil union and wanted me to notarize their application.

As it turned out the boy was the best friend of the man's son. They were entering into this civil union so the friend could be on the man's insurance through his work. The boy's father had gotten a job overseas and he didn't want to go. So, he moved in with his best friend and by use of the civil union, was able to get on Dad's insurance.

Fraud, yes, scam, yes, legal, certainly. The state cannot tell you who to love, or not love. There is no mandate that same sex couples be in love, or even be a couple.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! I'm sure they told all this to a stupid file clerk. :lmao:

If you don't think the GOP is a force against freedom and prosperity for the non rich and the country, you're just ignorant and misled. Read up on WHATEVER the issue is!

Thanks for 9/11, the stupidest wars ever, the huge growth of Alqaeda, the DEPRESSION, and now the paralysis of congress since 2/2010.

Romney platform: Cut taxes on rich, destroy Medicare/aid/SS/Health Reform, dereg Wall St, EPA, raise Pentagon spending, work on debt in 2035-- You are duped. Change the channel.

A person is only dupied if they don't want radical islam to be opposed, medicare privatized, obamacare ended, the EPA stopped, the government to go back to reasonable regulation of Wall Street and the country defended. Since conservatives want all these things they aren't duped at all. They are simply voting for the candidate who reflects their concerns.

Civil unions should be for anyone.

The old neighbor next door with no heirs to leave his shit to and the single mom next door who drives him to his Drs visits.

The two sisters whos husbands are dead and need some more finacial seciurity.

The two friends who dont ever want to be married to anyone.

Guess it was that damn racist, bigoted, hateful, homophobic DEMOCRAT president in 1996 that allowed DOMA to be passed...Bill Clinton.

Yes he did. He learned the time was not yet right and he bowed to political necessity. I'm sure he's laughing now and thinking "I knew it wouldn't last."

:lol: HA! What a joke. You'll defend a left winger at all costs, wont you? So Billy truly believed in the gay rights movement......but, as the most powerful man in the world, decided to go against his moral beliefs and instead passed this hateful, bigoted legislation?

So let me guess. George W. Bush truly believes in higher taxes for the rich, BUT....the time wasn't right, and he passed tax cuts for the rich, and one day will laugh and say "I knew it wouldn't last".

You folks never fail to amaze me.

I lived that time and watched very closely since it was personal to me. Did you do the same? Slick Willy has always been a politician first. We knew that DOMA would never last....he's a lawyer...he could not help but know it would never stand up forever. He threw a milksop to the stupid, stupid Social Conservatives and they lapped it up....just like they got suckered with the DADT compromise.

Who is laughing now?

But....if two straight men are roommates, and one has employer provided health insurance, and the other doesn't, they can pretend to be gay, get a shotgun-wedding for cheap, then claim they are both in the one insurance plan. Fraud? Scam? Yep. Hell, a guy with insurance could allow another male friend to "rent" his insurance for a fee. Fake a marriage, and the other guy pays a rental fee per month to be on that guys insurance. I'm sure this scam already exists with male/females though.

Back when I was a notary, a older man came in with a young man. He was barely 18. They had entered into a California civil union and wanted me to notarize their application.

As it turned out the boy was the best friend of the man's son. They were entering into this civil union so the friend could be on the man's insurance through his work. The boy's father had gotten a job overseas and he didn't want to go. So, he moved in with his best friend and by use of the civil union, was able to get on Dad's insurance.

Fraud, yes, scam, yes, legal, certainly. The state cannot tell you who to love, or not love. There is no mandate that same sex couples be in love, or even be a couple.

When I was in tech school at Keesler AFB three of my friends got married to someone they knew for less than a month so they could get off base housing.

When I was in tech school at Keesler AFB three of my friends got married to someone they knew for less than a month so they could get off base housing.
That happened a great deal in the military....and it's totally legal.

there's nothing to prevent a man and a woman from doing the exact same thing; it's probably fairly common.

i hope your health insurance includes injuries caused by bunched panties.

:lol:

twit

BOSTON — An appeals court ruled Thursday that a law that denies a host of federal benefits to gay married couples is unconstitutional.

The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston said the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, discriminates against gay couples.

The law was passed in 1996 at a time when it appeared Hawaii would legalize gay marriage. Since then, many states have instituted their own bans on gay marriage, while eight states have approved it, led by Massachusetts in 2004

:clap:

Boston court: Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional - BostonHerald.com

i guess the judges forgot to read the bible.

:rofl:
This puts Roberts court in a very difficult position. Good. They can earn their pay the right way.

no it doesn't, but feel free to spin it that way. :thup:

I agree, it is a state issue, not a federal issue, just like the Immigration issue in Arizona and the Marijuana issue in California.

The immigration issue is different, since setting standards for naturalization is a Constitutional duty of the federal government.

:lol: HA! What a joke. You'll defend a left winger at all costs, wont you? So Billy truly believed in the gay rights movement......but, as the most powerful man in the world, decided to go against his moral beliefs and instead passed this hateful, bigoted legislation?

So let me guess. George W. Bush truly believes in higher taxes for the rich, BUT....the time wasn't right, and he passed tax cuts for the rich, and one day will laugh and say "I knew it wouldn't last".

I lived that time and watched very closely since it was personal to me. Did you do the same? Slick Willy has always been a politician first. We knew that DOMA would never last....he's a lawyer...he could not help but know it would never stand up forever. He threw a milksop to the stupid, stupid Social Conservatives and they lapped it up....just like they got suckered with the DADT compromise.

Who is laughing now?

Well....the judge said the law interferes with the STATES RIGHT to define marriage. So...really...it just allowed states the power to ban gay marriage. Thats all.

And, you say that Democrat was playing pure politics, not governing based on principles and integrity. And you think we should vote MORE Democrats in?

And no, I wasn't watching politics closely in the mid-late 90's. I was working night shift in Fulton County, GA (Atlanta). Had more important and risky things to keep an eye on.

That happened a great deal in the military....and it's totally legal.

SO as a Naval Officer, you proudly scammed the system, while legally allowed, morally wrong........and then preach integrity and honesty to others? I'm so disappointed.

Who is laughing now?

Well....the judge said the law interferes with the STATES RIGHT to define marriage. So...really...it just allowed states the power to ban gay marriage. Thats all.

And, you say that Democrat was playing pure politics, not governing based on principles and integrity. And you think we should vote MORE Democrats in?

And no, I wasn't watching politics closely in the mid-late 90's. I was working night shift in Fulton County, GA (Atlanta). Had more important and risky things to keep an eye on.

are you saying that republicans govern based on *principles and integrity*?

that's some funny shit right there. :lol:

Who is laughing now?

Yes.

That President...as pretty much all presidents before him and those after him. Lincoln pulled the same thing with the Emancipation Proclamation...playing to the Abolitionists without really freeing much of anyone. If I dug hard enough, I could probably find such examples for all Presidents.

Ah...and what is more important than keeping informed on our country's doings? You have problems keeping informed on political current events while working night shifts? How odd.

Who is laughing now?

are you saying that republicans govern based on *principles and integrity*?

that's some funny shit right there. :lol:

He's also apparently saying that working a night shift prevents him from keeping informed about current events.

Forum List

Back