DOJ Sues Texas In Voting Rights Lawsuit, Alleging Discrimination Against Black And Latino Voters

We'll agree to stop the gerrymandering when Democrats agree to stop importing voters from south of the border.
one has nothing to do with the other to me. the overall crux of the issue is both sides do it and the DoJ is going after 1 side and ignoring history.

that is weaponizing the gov.

Everyone's a politician when it comes to drawing districts buddy, lol

Inherently political act
Several states now have independent commissions to draw districts and they have done a much better job at it than when the politicians control it. Others, like Iowa, have rules in place that govern the drawing of districts to prevent political gerrymandering.

then another method needs to be found to accomplish the reasons having to redistrict is necessary. come up with a way that would be unbiased and enforce it to both sides.

good luck.
There are many ideas out there. Decreasing the number of districts but having more representatives in each district is one such way. I do not think a 'non-partisan' group established to draw the districts is a good solution but it is another that is floated around on many different forms. At the very least, removing the ability to draw districts that span multiple localities connected through tiny corridors needs to be done away with. The districts should start out as simple geometric shapes that are then detailed to reach population requirements. Those should be more flexible as well. It is less of a problem that one representative may represent 10% more or fewer people than a district drawn specifically to pool alike voters from desperate communities together to reduce their overall voting power. Some ways would require a constitutional amendment, something that I think needs to be done anyway to properly address it, and others do not.

The one thing that we can guarantee is ignoring it entirely is not going to fix anything. Demanding that it is not possible is not going to fix anything. Taking the 50 separate entities we have in this nation and letting them explore possibilities, OTOH, will give us an idea of what might work and what will not work. That is one of the benefits of a federal system like ours.

I just gave you solutions. You can't solve it in the system we have. No

Would require a constitutional convention to change the way we run federal elections. States same thing need to move to a very complex voting system relative to what we have. That would solve gerrymandering.

There is no such thing as an "independent" process to draw districts every 10 years with a new census. More independent yes, independent, no
Yes you can.

You have to have a tiny imagination if you think this problem is unsolvable. The only way to ensure failure is to never try in the first place.

Several states now have independent commissions to draw districts and they have done a much better job at it than when the politicians control it. Others, like Iowa, have rules in place that govern the drawing of districts to prevent political gerrymandering.

So because they call it independent it is?

Those are not independent. The label does not make them so. And even if they were 100% free of partisan bias, they'd still be politicians they'd just be independents.

That's the problem. What you're describing is at best a more independent process. The system inherently advantages Republicans becasue of the way they skew rural. So how does an independent committee weigh that reality? Doing anything for democrats seems unfair. But the whole point is ameliorate this modern problem of so many people being in cities.

Just think it through.

Even an algo can't be independent. Some one wrote the algo and knew what results it would spit out before they approved it...lol

Yes you can.

You have to have a tiny imagination if you think this problem is unsolvable. The only way to ensure failure is to never try in the first place.

No you have an inability to follow through your line of thought

Take whatever solution you want with a current 1 man 1 vote no complications system. You will not get independent districting.

Algos, committees, etc. All tainted by the human element somewhere along the line. I'm going to know what the algo is going to do before i approve it.

And that's before you get to the design of our system which favors rural voters....And many of these republican advantages are just inherent to the system with the demographic breakdown. So how far do you take this balancing act? Political decision. There is no objectively correct, fair, or independent answer to that question.

You people are just weak minds who can't solve problems. That's your issue.

Instead of just hoping elites, who i assure you are not that competent, will solve your problems. Why don't you try to think about how they might do so before you give them any credibility. It's absurd.

Take whatever solution you want with a current 1 man 1 vote no complications system. You will not get independent districting.

Algos, committees, etc. All tainted by the human element somewhere along the line. I'm going to know what the algo is going to do before i approve it.

And that's before you get to the design of our system which favors rural voters....And many of these republican advantages are just inherent to the system with the demographic breakdown. So how far do you take this balancing act? Political decision

You people?

Is that really the best you can do? You start with a straw man and end with a personal attack. You might want to look in the mirror.

Like Democrats never gerrymander?

They can't because they're all in big cities. Much harder for them to draw advantageous maps. And they would look crazy. A sliver going into the big city then expanding out into rural/suburbs.

That's why they cry about it so much in 2021. We've never had this urban/rural divide so deeply

You people?

Is that really the best you can do? You start with a straw man and end with a personal attack. You might want to look in the mirror.

I'm brown you dipshit

I'm talking about you feminine ***** with no sense.

I don't see blacks whining about gerrymandering they seem to have the sense to like their own districts lol

The Justice Department on Monday sued Texas over the state's redistricting plan for House maps over the next decade, accusing Republican line-drawers of illegally undermining minority groups' right to vote.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said the DOJ reviewed the Lone Star State's redistricting plan and found "they include districts that violate the Voting Rights Act." The lawsuit serves as a response to the map Republican Gov. Greg Abbott enacted in October, which independent analysts suggest gives the GOP an unfair partisan advantage.

Opinion:
The Texas Democrat Party is highly racist.
They want racially segregated congressional districts.
In the 2010 redistricting they went all the way to the USSC several times to get approval for racially segregated congressional districts, but the USSC ruled against them every time.
The thing about these racist Texas Democrats is that no matter how much they are accommodated to, they will never be happy.

Texas redistricting case: U.S. Supreme Court upholds …

Jun 25, 2018 · In a 5-4 vote, the high court upheld 10 of 11 congressional and state House districts that the maps’ challengers said intentionally …

I'm brown you dipshit

I'm talking about you feminine ***** with no sense.

I don't see blacks whining about gerrymandering they seem to have the sense to like their own districts lol

Wow, you really are an idiot. I assumed you people was an moronic reference to paint me as a partisan. YOU pulled race into it as though that was insinuated anywhere at all...

I wonder what ***** was supposed to be.....

The Justice Department on Monday sued Texas over the state's redistricting plan for House maps over the next decade, accusing Republican line-drawers of illegally undermining minority groups' right to vote.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said the DOJ reviewed the Lone Star State's redistricting plan and found "they include districts that violate the Voting Rights Act." The lawsuit serves as a response to the map Republican Gov. Greg Abbott enacted in October, which independent analysts suggest gives the GOP an unfair partisan advantage.

Opinion:
The Texas Democrat Party is highly racist.
They want racially segregated congressional districts.
In the 2010 redistricting they went all the way to the USSC several times to get approval for racially segregated congressional districts, but the USSC ruled against them every time.
The thing about these racist Texas Democrats is that no matter how much they are accommodated to, they will never be happy.

Texas redistricting case: U.S. Supreme Court upholds …

Jun 25, 2018 · In a 5-4 vote, the high court upheld 10 of 11 congressional and state House districts that the maps’ challengers said intentionally …
It is almost irrelevant anyway, the SCOTUS is heavily weighted on giving states the free reign (as the constitution actually does specifically spell out) to run their elections and representatives as they see fit.

It would have to be pretty egregious for the court to strike it.

Wow, you really are an idiot. I assumed you people was an moronic reference to paint me as a partisan. YOU pulled race into it as though that was insinuated anywhere at all...

I wonder what ***** was supposed to be.....

Oh yea that's what you meant

Shut the fuck up you pale little bitch

hahahaha, accidently talking shit to some one higher than you in the intersectional hierarchy

If you want to fix this, advocate for something that will fix it. But it seems 95%+ of democrats have no idea how to do that.

And that's before you get to the design of our system which favors rural voters....And many of these republican advantages are just inherent to the system with the demographic breakdown. So how far do you take this balancing act? Political decision. There is no objectively correct, fair, or independent answer to that question.

Instead of just hoping elites, who i assure you are not that competent, will solve your problems. Why don't you try to think about how they might do so before you give them any credibility. It's absurd.
hey - the plan he outlined above is a start and throwing some ideas out there. no one is going to make a perfect post in here and turn the world around, so we discuss what could be done if we put forth the effort.

the whole "weak minded" shit was just bullshit.

Oh yea that's what you meant

Shut the fuck up you pale little bitch

hahahaha, accidently talking shit to some one higher than you in the intersectional hierarchy

If you want to fix this, advocate for something that will fix it. But it seems 95%+ of democrats have no idea how to do that.
god what a fucktard.

ignore+1

hey - the plan he outlined above is a start and throwing some ideas out there. no one is going to make a perfect post in here and turn the world around, so we discuss what could be done if we put forth the effort.

the whole "weak minded" shit was just bullshit.

This is a trite topic it's 2021

Throwing some ideas out there? No he's not

He's just parroting what he read and didn't' think about....At all

As is just about everyone in this thread, clearly.

Forum List

Back