Dog Has A Hot Spot

Clipper

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2018
Our 3 year old chocolate lab has what I belive is a hotspot on his back. He's losing his hair in a couple places & he digs at the spots. My vet is on vacation until next week & I'm wondering if there's anything I can do until the vet is back from vacay.

Dab it with hydrogen peroxide once in a while ?
Go to Walburgmart Drug center and grab a triple antibiotic ointment(all the same) until the vet gets back.
If you have a farm supply close it'll be 1/4 the price....or 4x. Depends who owns the joint, as always
Keep it dry(rain n shit) and out of direct sun

Don't know, but when my uncle's hog dogs had any kind of skin problems, he poured used motor oil on them. Don't know what it did, or if it helped, but it made them stink like hell.

Our 3 year old chocolate lab has what I belive is a hotspot on his back. He's losing his hair in a couple places & he digs at the spots. My vet is on vacation until next week & I'm wondering if there's anything I can do until the vet is back from vacay.

Do what Likkmee said but just FYI don't be surprised if it is a skin allergy.

Every had some nasty shit and went to the beach only to see it disappear ?
Salt always helps most anything of that sort but let the vet see if there is an underlying POS your eye cant see. A microscope is a handy lil critter to have
sushi.jpg

Coconut paste. Worked on our Australian Cattle Dog's hot spot last summer.

Oh, I know exactly about having a lab (black instead of chocolate however) and trying to figure out the cause of the allergy. He had a constant need to itch his back so much it caused crusty scabs to appear. We took him to the vet (two different ones over the years) to try to figure out what was causing it. First doc thought diet. We switched to high protein, easily digestible fat dry food...no help. Second doc tested for all kinds of things...skin allergy tests, no fleas since he had a preventive every 3 months, ear mite medicine helped his ears.

Here is a helpful site-oatmeal bath or medicated dog bath might help, coconut oil is listed as potential help, others.

Good luck! I hope your vet is more current about ways to identify source and effective treatment options than the two vets I tried locally. Labs are the best- I've had two and likely at least one more in the near future:)

We haven't changed his food so I don't think it's a food allergy. I'll try that antibiotic ointment. I bought some spray from PetSmart which is supposed to be for a hotspot. Money down the drain.

We haven't changed his food so I don't think it's a food allergy. I'll try that antibiotic ointment. I bought some spray from PetSmart which is supposed to be for a hotspot. Money down the drain.
I think that is mainly an anti-itch tonic.

Oh, I know exactly about having a lab (black instead of chocolate however) and trying to figure out the cause of the allergy. He had a constant need to itch his back so much it caused crusty scabs to appear. We took him to the vet (two different ones over the years) to try to figure out what was causing it. First doc thought diet. We switched to high protein, easily digestible fat dry food...no help. Second doc tested for all kinds of things...skin allergy tests, no fleas since he had a preventive every 3 months, ear mite medicine helped his ears.

Here is a helpful site-oatmeal bath or medicated dog bath might help, coconut oil is listed as potential help, others.

Good luck! I hope your vet is more current about ways to identify source and effective treatment options than the two vets I tried locally. Labs are the best- I've had two and likely at least one more in the near future:)

Sometimes dogs develop a staph allergy and staph is EVERYWHERE. Happened to a beagle we had. She pretty much spent the last few years of her life in a constant battle with me as to how to trick her into eating the cephalexan. Wrapping it in cheese worked for a long time and then she got wise.

Sometimes dogs develop a staph allergy and staph is EVERYWHERE. Happened to a beagle we had. She pretty much spent the last few years of her life in a constant battle with me as to how to trick her into eating the cephalexan. Wrapping it in cheese worked for a long time and then she got wise.
Beagles rule!

Forum List

Back