Doesn't this go a bit too far?

Dr Gregg

Rookie
Jan 28, 2010
This seems to go a bit far, stupid irrational fears. To me it would seem like a harmless joke that I've hear nearly everybody make similar type comments when they are venting about a bad day. I guess at least she wasn't fired, but come on. there was harvard professor fired a while back for having pictures of him doing a funnel or something. It's ridiculous if you ask me. Thoughts?

Facebook: Professor suspended for posts | HigherEdMorning.com

She thought it was a humorous post about wanting to kill her students — but school administrators didn’t agree. See what you think. When Gloria Gadsden, a social professor at East Stroudsburg University, made the following comments on Facebook, she says she was joking:

“Had a good day today, didn’t want to kill even one student Now Friday was a different story …”
“Does anyone know where I can find a very discrete hitman, it’s been that kind of day.”
A student told the university’s administrators about the comments, and the school acted swiftly: Gadsden was suspended indefinitely for making threats.

Marilyn Wells, interim provost and vice president for academic affairs, gave the following statement: “Given the climate of security concerns in academia, the university has an obligation to take all threats seriously and act accordingly.”

But according to The Chronicle for Higher Education, the professor believes her complaint of racial harassment against the school last month is at least partially to blame for her current suspension.

When students post things about wanting to "kill" someone, they get suspended. Teachers should be held to the same standard

This seems to go a bit far, stupid irrational fears. To me it would seem like a harmless joke that I've hear nearly everybody make similar type comments when they are venting about a bad day. I guess at least she wasn't fired, but come on. there was harvard professor fired a while back for having pictures of him doing a funnel or something. It's ridiculous if you ask me. Thoughts?

She thought it was a humorous post about wanting to kill her students — but school administrators didn’t agree. See what you think. When Gloria Gadsden, a social professor at East Stroudsburg University, made the following comments on Facebook, she says she was joking:

“Had a good day today, didn’t want to kill even one student Now Friday was a different story …”
“Does anyone know where I can find a very discrete hitman, it’s been that kind of day.”
A student told the university’s administrators about the comments, and the school acted swiftly: Gadsden was suspended indefinitely for making threats.

Marilyn Wells, interim provost and vice president for academic affairs, gave the following statement: “Given the climate of security concerns in academia, the university has an obligation to take all threats seriously and act accordingly.”

But according to The Chronicle for Higher Education, the professor believes her complaint of racial harassment against the school last month is at least partially to blame for her current suspension.

Yes and no. In normal circumstances, yes, it's going a little too far, but when you look at this being posted so close to a woman, a teacher, bringing a gun into a University and shooting people, not really. This Professor should have thought a little bit more about the current events before posting. We here in Minnesota had EVERY high school in St. Paul on lockdown earlier this week because an idiot Facebook user posted a threat to the school district that someone was going to bring a gun into two different schools in the city and start shooting. As a Professor the person who posted about finding a hitman should have been smarter than that.

Rick

• Banned

Yes and no. In normal circumstances, yes, it's going a little too far, but when you look at this being posted so close to a woman, a teacher, bringing a gun into a University and shooting people, not really. This Professor should have thought a little bit more about the current events before posting. We here in Minnesota had EVERY high school in St. Paul on lockdown earlier this week because an idiot Facebook user posted a threat to the school district that someone was going to bring a gun into two different schools in the city and start shooting. As a Professor the person who posted about finding a hitman should have been smarter than that.

Rick

I think a warning and telling her not to do it would of sufficed instead of a suspension. Yes, this day and age you should know that this type of bullshit it looked at, but I still don't think its right

Rick

I think a warning and telling her not to do it would of sufficed instead of a suspension. Yes, this day and age you should know that this type of bullshit it looked at, but I still don't think its right

Students are suspended IMMEDIATELY for bringing anything that could be construed as a weapon to school. Even a plastic knife will get a student suspended. Yeah, I can see your point, but I also think this will give a message to any other teachers/professors who might be stupid enough to even think about joking about something like this.

Rick

• Banned

Rick

Students are suspended IMMEDIATELY for bringing anything that could be construed as a weapon to school. Even a plastic knife will get a student suspended. Yeah, I can see your point, but I also think this will give a message to any other teachers/professors who might be stupid enough to even think about joking about something like this.

Rick

This is college, not HS. Students would get suspended over a plastic knife in college? If that's the case that is a shame, as these kids are young adults and should be treated like such

Rick

This is college, not HS. Students would get suspended over a plastic knife in college? If that's the case that is a shame, as these kids are young adults and should be treated like such

You're right, I don't think that is the case in college. But, most if not all colleges are "gun free zones" and it is even a Federal crime to have fireworks on most college campuses. I just don't think this Professor was using their head, and I think that a slap on the wrist wouldn't have been enough punishment.

Rick

Rick

You're right, I don't think that is the case in college. But, most if not all colleges are "gun free zones" and it is even a Federal crime to have fireworks on most college campuses. I just don't think this Professor was using their head, and I think that a slap on the wrist wouldn't have been enough punishment.

Rick

Yeah, I understand. This example may not be as ridiculous as some of the other's I've heard due to the recent events. But its just troublesome thinking that what you choose to do in private, which is completely legal, could influence your job. Seems restrictive to me. I can see the concern, and I'm glad she wasn't fired, but this brings up that issue of what you do in private, or say on facebook could lead to you losing your job

Facebook....

Facebook is the mark of the beast.

I will never join facebook, almost did once.

A few in here have facebook accounts with pictures of themselves and extensive Bio's.....TMI. Just googled their nicks and up they pop. One is quite well known in here. Anything we post, even in here, is forever in many databases going back years. one can dig up posts from USMB and others going back years to their beginnings.

Is it true one cannot close the facebook account totally down, and remove all data about themselves? I heard rumors it was difficult if not impossible, but that's just hearsayI don't know.

Rick

Rick

Within weeks of an Alabama professor going on a shooting spree, this teacher thinks it is a joke?

Suspend her for stupidity

Rick

Within weeks of an Alabama professor going on a shooting spree, this teacher thinks it is a joke?

Suspend her for stupidity

WOW, we actually agree on something. I'm going to mark today down on my calendar.

Rick

I agree also.

These folks are supposed to be so smart??

They lack common sense to the max. Jeeze.

Forum List

Back