Does the money you earn belong to you or the state?

The only solution is to ask each man to give as he is able- to ask all members of society to contribute as they are able to ensure society as a whole can continue to thrive.
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Great idea, uncle Karl. :rolleyes:

It was actually Thomas Jefferson's idea

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." --Thomas Jefferson to Thaddeus Kosciusko, 1811. ME 13:41

Jefferson on Politics & Government: Taxation

Hey, I'm all about it! Let's go back to Jefferson era taxation. No income tax and very few taxes generally. Jefferson is rolling over!

I submit that sales ( buyer's) tax is NOT regressive.
Those who earn less, spend less. Therefore those on the lower rungs of the economic ladder pay LESS in sales tax. So actually those who earn more and spend more pay a proportionate share of sales taxes.

It is regressive. Poor people spend it all, and get taxed on it all. While rich people invest and don't get taxed on earnings for decades. Rich people also save, earning interest. Rich people also give money away, getting tax deductions. Rich people also have more qualified accountants and more tax deductions.

Trust me, Warren Buffet says that he pays less federal income tax than his own secretary.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5B-2LoC4s[/ame]

Taxes, Warren Buffett, and Paying My Fair Share - NYTimes.com

In case you didn't know it he is the second wealthiest human alive.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." --Thomas Jefferson to Thaddeus Kosciusko, 1811. ME 13:41

Hey, I'm all about it! Let's go back to Jefferson era taxation. No income tax and very few taxes generally. Jefferson is rolling over!

But there were taxes on imports. How would you like to pay a 25% tariff on every imported good you buy, starting with oil and plastics?

EVERYTHING I earn belongs to me. What a stupid question. Taxes are just legalized theft, which GASP still makes it theft!

But there were taxes on imports. How would you like to pay a 25% tariff on every imported good you buy, starting with oil and plastics?

good idea to me, it would create american jobs and american products. sign me up.

Those who earn less, spend less. Therefore those on the lower rungs of the economic ladder pay LESS in sales tax

You don't understand marginal utility or the disproportionate impact of taking 10 from 20 versus taking 10 from 200.

Also, those with sufficient resources can oft evade sales tax by buying from afar. Interestingly, the people who make your argument also tend to oppose tariffs.

Last edited:
The only solution is to ask each man to give as he is able- to ask all members of society to contribute as they are able to ensure society as a whole can continue to thrive.

"The collection of taxes... has been as yet only by duties on consumption. As these fall principally on the rich, it is a general desire to make them contribute the whole money we want, if possible. And we have a hope that they will furnish enough for the expenses of government and the interest of our whole public debt, foreign and domestic." --Thomas Jefferson to Comte de Moustier, 1790. ME 8:110

"We are all the more reconciled to the tax on importations, because it falls exclusively on the rich, and with the equal partition of intestate's estates, constitutes the best agrarian law. In fact, the poor man in this country who uses nothing but what is made within his own farm or family, or within the United States, pays not a farthing of tax to the General Government, but on his salt; and should we go into that manufacture as we ought to do, he will pay not one cent." --Thomas Jefferson to Pierre Samuel Dupont de Nemours, 1811. ME 13:39

nice link Hadn't seen these quotes before

Fine by me if it fuels American innovation and the adoption of alternative fuels and plastics alternatives. Get us off our oil addiction and you help the environment, boost our economy, and reduce our dependence on nations that'd love to see us all dead.

Internal Combustion by Edwin Black--Home Page

or see the abridged version:

The Plan by Edwin Black - Home Page

I wouldn't recommend it, but hell yeah! The savings I would receive from the tax change would easily offset the price of goods.

you are tarded.
THAT is your response? After all of your blather about who owns what ,how the government is basically the "company store" you come up with "you are tarded"?..
Most of us know that bringing a gun to a gunfight in lieu of a lesser weapon increases one's chances of success, tenfold..Guess you missed that meeting.
Now you can go pick on someone your own size and scream at them how you "schooled" them.
This is the major leagues ,pal. You're outclassed at this level.

yup, that is my response and it is more than you deserve. Somebody wastes their time trying to teach you a few simple facts about reality and you are not only so stupid that you can't listen, but you bite the hand that educates you.

There is an old maxim about arguing with ignoramammals like you:

Don't argue with a fool, other people may not be able to tell the difference.
You haven't even gotten out Class A ball puppy.
You are a rank amateur.
Who the fuck are you to be so presumptuous as think you can teach anyone a God Damned thing.
You have a room temperature IQ.

heads out of asses, folks. tariffs are not good public finance policy, particularly for an economy like ours, if they ever were.

You haven't even gotten out Class A ball puppy.
You are a rank amateur.
Who the fuck are you to be so presumptuous as think you can teach anyone a God Damned thing.
You have a room temperature IQ.

Yawn, fart, burp.

Call me when your second brain cell divides.

OK your time is up, next!

heads out of asses, folks. tariffs are not good public finance policy, particularly for an economy like ours, if they ever were.

no, no, the question was what is worse, paying tariffs on foreign goods or paying 0% federal tax and FICA, along with state unemployment taxes.

this is just a demo that behind your rhetoric, you are a partisan hack without real interest in balanced budgets. i agree we could do with plenty more balance in government, but the complexion of politics at the moment is the result of a backlash against disingenuous 'conservatives' like yourself looking to spend future money rather than continue budget responsibility.

The more you post, the less sense you make... You sound like a child who thinks he has it all figure out, but the blinders he wears keep him from seeing the truth...

The upcoming backlash is against the failed policies of an entirely democrat controlled government... The backlash is against 0bamacare and bailouts and democratics who promised change, but only made things worse....

At some point you're going to have to wake up and face reality...

ETA: I want less spending, both now and in the future, dumbass....

now and in the future, but not in the past.
You're obviously slow... I already stated I didn't want the excessive spending that happened in the past... Maybe if you ask an adult to help you with the big words you can figure out what I actually posted and not what you think I posted...

you are a johnny-come-lately tax-cut-conservative hypocrite evidenced by your partisan disposition to clinton's budgets.
What a stupid inference... I'm not surprised, based upon reading your posts, though...

you've already stated you think he's a joke, and in the context of fiscal responsibility, then contended that you want to keep more of your money like a bushite tax-cut leech on the future.
Again, I must gather that you are slow and unable to read what I actually wrote... Let me know if you need a refresher and I'll think about repeating myself...

You do have an uncanny knack of being wrong though... I'm not a republican or a "bushite"... I complained about Booooooosh's spending and lack of veto pen for ages, but I already said that, didn't I?

faced with the devastation these policies afforded our economy, you lined up with partisan ranks with empty resolve to spend less. this didn't pan out when your heroes had control and were met with no opposition to the scale we see today. it is a political cycle.

I lined up with no one... I'm anti-spend-what-we-don't-have... Always have been - always will be... No matter the controlling party... You, just remain a tool of the Democrat party.... Good for you...:clap2:

i'm not blind to the coincidence of fake political angst any given autumn. two years ago it went the other way. as an entrenched partisan, you are a hypocrite for participating in the farce of it all.

You are blind, alright... Seem to be a leftist hack who wants it all now and doesn't care who you have to steal from to get it... Fortunately, the upcoming gridlock will slow you down a bit...

Now I have to go think how I'll survive that a Clintonista tool thinks I'm a hypocrite partisan hack...:eek:

no, no, the question was what is worse, paying tariffs on foreign goods or paying 0% federal tax and FICA, along with state unemployment taxes.

yes, yes, i think tariff policy is the lamest choice of the two, hands down. dark-age mode, and a bad fit with our economy.

its settled i guess, house. i think you're a tax-cut-con half-wit partisan hack hypocrite (and a pussy for the neg-rep i could give a shit about) and you think i'm a democrat. ...and you don't think i can read. i could really care less if you're my fairy godmother or the tweeker trying to wash my windows for smack yesterday, so i'd leave it at that.

its settled i guess, house. i think you're a tax-cut-con half-wit partisan hack hypocrite (and a pussy for the neg-rep i could give a shit about) and you think i'm a democrat. ...and you don't think i can read. i could really care less if you're my fairy godmother or the tweeker trying to wash my windows for smack yesterday, so i'd leave it at that.

If you didn't care about the Neg rep, why mention it? :)

Oh geez, now the flaming leftist Clintonista blue dress wearing cigar inserting Bubba-slurping pussy is whining about neg rep...

It doesn't get any more pathetic....

Forum List

Back