Does Scripture Support Liberalism?

Jesus taught to give to the poor.

Let's just stop there.

Period.

He also taught us not to steal. Why do you ignore that part of his post?

You do not bless a man by robbing a person and giving it to someone else. Even if your intentions are noble, you've committed an evil against a person.

It's not our job to make people who are rich give to the poor. They are the ones responsible for their stewardship. They are the ones who have to answer to God for what they do.

The power of heaven does not come with compulsion. It comes with persuasion, long suffering, kindness, gentleness, meekness, love unfeigned, etc.

It's unrighteous dominion that comes with force.

Jesus said to pay your taxes, yet you call it robbery. Your attempt to justify greed exposes what you really love. Robbing the rich to feed the poor, or robbing the poor to give to the rich, which will God have mercy on?

The fact that Jesus told people to obey the law does not change the fact that taxes were actually theft at the time he made that comment. That sort of defeats your less than moronic attempt to use the teachings of Jesus to argue that taxes are not stealing.

Yesterday the news exposed Paul Ryan's compassion. He's sponsoring a bill that takes $126 million from campaigns to give to cancer research, after a little girl died from a brain tumor, while at the same time cutting $1.5 billion from the same program.

Please Avatar, preach to us about robbery.

Then what mercy will you have?

What the fuck are you babbling about? Does the fact that Bernie Madoff gave money top charity negate the fact that he stole the money in the first fucking place? If not, how the fuck does it justify it when the government does the exact same fucking thing?

Let's just stop there.

Period.

You do not bless a man by robbing a person and giving it to someone else. Even if your intentions are noble, you've committed an evil against a person.

It's not our job to make people who are rich give to the poor. They are the ones responsible for their stewardship. They are the ones who have to answer to God for what they do.

The power of heaven does not come with compulsion. It comes with persuasion, long suffering, kindness, gentleness, meekness, love unfeigned, etc.

When it comes to the matter of taxes, then it's no longer called stealing.

That is simply your view and/or opinion.

The view that not paying your taxes, is equal to stealing from the government is equally if not more valid.

Hence I didn't bother with that nonsense.

I won't be addressing this point again either.

Thanks.

The opinion of everyone who listened to Jesus when he taught was that tax collectors were thieves. This as backed up by the fact that those tax collectors got to keep whatever money they collected that was over and above what they had to pay the government, and all of them lived pretty high on the hog. Does the fact that it was completely legal somehow make it not stealing? Are your morals defined by man's law, or God's?

One can surely argue that.

In my morning devotion I came across a text that I never noticed before, well, not like this at least....

Proverbs 11:25 (King James Version)

The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.

Pretty cool huh?

That chapter also had some other good nuggets...

Proverbs 11:4 (King James Version),
Proverbs 11:9 (King James Version),
Proverbs 11:24 (King James Version),
and
Proverbs 11:28 (King James Version)

Words of pure wisdom.
Somebody mentioned something about the negative connotation of the word fat and it's comparison to the liberal soul. However, I found another text in the same book showing that it's not negative at all.

Behold...

Proverbs 13:4 (King James Version)

One can surely argue that.

In my morning devotion I came across a text that I never noticed before, well, not like this at least....

Proverbs 11:25 (King James Version)

The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.
Pretty cool huh?

That chapter also had some other good nuggets...

Proverbs 11:4 (King James Version),
Proverbs 11:9 (King James Version),
Proverbs 11:24 (King James Version),
and
Proverbs 11:28 (King James Version)

Words of pure wisdom.
Somebody mentioned something about the negative connotation of the word fat and it's comparison to the liberal soul. However, I found another text in the same book showing that it's not negative at all.

Behold...

Proverbs 13:4 (King James Version)

I guess you are determined to preach this even if you have to torture the text long enough to do so.

I dont think anyone is disputing that the scriptures teach us to be liberal with what we have. The disputation is taking that to mean that liberalism, which has nothing to do with being liberal, is somehow justified in the scriptures.

I still havent seen any attempt to address the following verse that the Lord is telling us to be liberal by selling what we have been blessed with instead of keeping it all for ourselves.

I've never considered selling what we have as being liberal with what we have, but that's what the scriptures are teaching. It really is a great passage. I just don't see how the passage turns into justifying legalized Robbery.

I assume you mean 'does Jewish Scripture support liberalism?' since the OP's use of Proverbs suggest that and not Christianity.

Always puzzles me when "Christians" rely so heavily on Jewish Torah and Tanach in their arguements then in the next one claim they're not bound to Jewish theocratic law.

As to the actual question, if we assume historical liberalism and modern liberalism are roughly the same, then yes.

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
- Matthew 19 NIV

Last edited:
I dont think anyone is disputing that the scriptures teach us to be liberal with what we have. The disputation is taking that to mean that liberalism, which has nothing to do with being liberal, is somehow justified in the scriptures.

I still havent seen any attempt to address the following verse that the Lord is telling us to be liberal by selling what we have been blessed with instead of keeping it all for ourselves.

I've never considered selling what we have as being liberal with what we have, but that's what the scriptures are teaching. It really is a great passage. I just don't see how the passage turns into justifying legalized Robbery.

the whole premise of the teachings of Jesus to be leftard is idiocy.

And that is a new trend in the leftist brainwashing machine - to use the hated religion when they think it serves them ( because the vast majority of the populace is extremely ignorant) - and preach that Jesus advocated income redistribution through high taxation :lol:

which He, obviously, did not, but when did the left cared about the Truth?

Vox, see my post above about Matthew 19. You're either ignorant or a liar. But you're one of them.

Odd, nothing you've said in that posts makes Vox ignorant or a liar. Perhaps you should worry less about whether others are lying and more about whether you are.

And that is a new trend in the leftist brainwashing machine - to use the hated religion when they think it serves them ( because the vast majority of the populace is extremely ignorant) - and preach that Jesus advocated income redistribution through high taxation :lol:

leftard is preferable to voxturd. What would a shithead like you know about the truth?

Vox, see my post above about Matthew 19. You're either ignorant or a liar. But you're one of them.

Odd, nothing you've said in that posts makes Vox ignorant or a liar. Perhaps you should worry less about whether others are lying and more about whether you are.
Oh how sweet, coming to the defense of your con brother. Shitheads can defend themselves.

I haven't defended you yet. But if the time comes, i will.

The Left lies about everything, so of course they have no problem claiming Jesus and Einstein and Stalin as one of their own

Jesus said to pay your taxes, yet you call it robbery. Your attempt to justify greed exposes what you really love. Robbing the rich to feed the poor, or robbing the poor to give to the rich, which will God have mercy on?

Taxes hurt the poor as much as they hurt the rich. Not sure why you seem to think it matters how much money a man makes. I don't think the Lord would justify me in hating any of my brethren.

Nor do I see how it's greedy to want people to minister to the needs of others on their own rather than having the government steal their money to pretend to help the poor.

Your arguement is based on the belief that the government is stealing from you and robbing you when you pay taxes. If one rejects that concept, your ideas have no weight and seem false.

Taxes hurt the poor as much as they hurt the rich. Not sure why you seem to think it matters how much money a man makes. I don't think the Lord would justify me in hating any of my brethren.

Nor do I see how it's greedy to want people to minister to the needs of others on their own rather than having the government steal their money to pretend to help the poor.

Your arguement is based on the belief that the government is stealing from you and robbing you when you pay taxes. If one rejects that concept, your ideas have no weight and seem false.

Let's see, taking money by force. The very definition of Robbery.

You can reject the truth, but it doesn't make it less true.

It is legalized stealing. The reason I don't take a second job is because they would want all of my money and I wouldn't be home.

Stop paying your taxes and watch as the government comes down on you in order to force you into compliance with your concept of non theft.

What did "liberal" mean 2-3000 years ago. Jesus taught to give to the poor, (a lesson that definitely needs some caveats), but he didn't advocate taking wealth from the rich by force. It's supposed to be voluntary--something modern liberals have no ability to comprehend, except when they excuse their leaders from the rules they make for the rest of us.

Let's just stop there.

Period.

yeah, sure... Jesus instructed us to be charitable to those less fortunate...

and I'm cool with that...

but he didn't call upon government agencies to force us to do it...

Forum List

Back