Does Scripture Support Liberalism?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
One can surely argue that.

In my morning devotion I came across a text that I never noticed before, well, not like this at least....

Proverbs 11:25 (King James Version)

The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.

Pretty cool huh?

That chapter also had some other good nuggets...

Proverbs 11:4 (King James Version),
Proverbs 11:9 (King James Version),
Proverbs 11:24 (King James Version),
and
Proverbs 11:28 (King James Version)

Words of pure wisdom.

Last edited:
What did "liberal" mean 2-3000 years ago. Jesus taught to give to the poor, (a lesson that definitely needs some caveats), but he didn't advocate taking wealth from the rich by force. It's supposed to be voluntary--something modern liberals have no ability to comprehend, except when they excuse their leaders from the rules they make for the rest of us.

What did "liberal" mean 2-3000 years ago. Jesus taught to give to the poor, (a lesson that definitely needs some caveats), but he didn't advocate taking wealth from the rich by force. It's supposed to be voluntary--something modern liberals have no ability to comprehend, except when they excuse their leaders from the rules they make for the rest of us.

Jesus taught to give to the poor.

Let's just stop there.

Period.

Let's just stop there.

Period.

The teachings were to give of your possessions to the poor not to steal from your neighbor and give it to the poor.

1. One can surely argue that.

In my morning devotion I came across a text that I never noticed before, well, not like this at least....

The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.
    Pretty cool huh?

You would have to teach covenant theology which I don't agree with.
Proverbs is not a doctrinal book.

In an agrarian society, it is easier to tithe because the land produced what you need. In a Capitalistic society, you don't have guarantees because everything is based on supply and demand and whether or not you can give someone a product for the right price.

The covenant you think you were grafted into has changed because blessings are based on the righteousness of nations and those blessings gave rise to the wicked who went into captivity and all I can say is read Hebrews 11 because righteous people suffered.

It is funny that our country can spend 50 billion on the NSA but can't feed people at home. If you want attitudes to change in this world and for people to be nicer to our country, you could help the poor but limiting government because I'm sure there are some poor people who could spend that money on food and clothing and seeing a dentist than giving it to the government which is not going to take care of them.

Liberalism is not the system of God because a tenant is to liberate people from God and when government becomes God by giving out all the handouts, you put up barriers for people to look to God. It is a farce.

1. blessing
  2. (source of) blessing
  3. blessing, prosperity
  4. blessing, praise of God
  5. a gift, present
  6. treaty of peace
  7. Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 69
AV — blessing 61, blessed 3, present 3, liberal 1, pools 1
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Spending 50 billion on the NSA provides lots of jobs to a broad spectrum of industries.

Compassion for the elderly, the poor, the sick, and women and children. Those are liberal ideals. Greed, hate, war and prejudice are the ideals of the GOP and fake christians.

Using lies destroys your credibility and integrity. There is no force, it's taxes, which Jesus said to pay. You try to deceive by telling lies about what Jesus taught.

Spending 50 billion on the NSA provides lots of jobs to a broad spectrum of industries.

They are playing online gaming and infiltrating the website second life.

It does nothing for the GDP.

When your grandkids are limited to one child per family policy because each American is in debt 100,000 or more, it isn't blessings but slavery.

Interpreting the teachings of Jesus Christ to fit a political agenda is a fool's game. Conservatives try to show that His teachings makes for cover when they show disdain and hatred for homosexuals. Conservatives tried to justify slavery and Jim Crow by interpreting Biblical passages. That showed not only their innate bigotry, but their religious hypocrisy.

Nothing Jesus said is applicable to current political philosophies. Pushing the round peg of political ideology through the square hole of scripture erodes the politics and dilutes the scripture. It's a messy paint box, the Bible. Leave it out of politics.

You do realize that this entire chapter, each verse begins with the "evil" example, and ends with the good. In that context with the entire chapter - "The liberal soul shall be made fat" - does not to me sound like a good thing.
But who knows...it is a poem written thousands of years ago that obviously hasn't the slightest bearing on modern civilization specifically. So either way - another pointless thread by you.

Interpreting the teachings of Jesus Christ to fit a political agenda is a fool's game. Conservatives try to show that His teachings makes for cover when they show disdain and hatred for homosexuals. Conservatives tried to justify slavery and Jim Crow by interpreting Biblical passages. That showed not only their innate bigotry, but their religious hypocrisy.

Nothing Jesus said is applicable to current political philosophies. Pushing the round peg of political ideology through the square hole of scripture erodes the politics and dilutes the scripture. It's a messy paint box, the Bible. Leave it out of politics.

each American is in debt 100,000 or more, it isn't blessings but slavery.
Yep, and the cons drove us into that debt with tax cuts for the rich, subsidies to corporate business, and the industrial military complex....war.

Last edited:

Pretty cool huh?

In an agrarian society, it is easier to tithe because the land produced what you need. In a Capitalistic society, you don't have guarantees because everything is based on supply and demand and whether or not you can give someone a product for the right price.

The covenant you think you were grafted into has changed because blessings are based on the righteousness of nations and those blessings gave rise to the wicked who went into captivity and all I can say is read Hebrews 11 because righteous people suffered.

It is funny that our country can spend 50 billion on the NSA but can't feed people at home. If you want attitudes to change in this world and for people to be nicer to our country, you could help the poor but limiting government because I'm sure there are some poor people who could spend that money on food and clothing and seeing a dentist than giving it to the government which is not going to take care of them.

Liberalism is not the system of God because a tenant is to liberate people from God and when government becomes God by giving out all the handouts, you put up barriers for people to look to God. It is a farce.

1. blessing
  2. (source of) blessing
  3. blessing, prosperity
  5. a gift, present
  6. treaty of peace
I think you've driven well off the reservation Chuck.

You do realize that this entire chapter, each verse begins with the "evil" example, and ends with the good. In that context with the entire chapter - "The liberal soul shall be made fat" - does not to me sound like a good thing.
But who knows...it is a poem written thousands of years ago that obviously hasn't the slightest bearing on modern civilization specifically. So either way - another pointless thread by you.

It is basically a tax on the poor so that the rich don't have to take care of this country. Blessings means I have to give but never the government gives to me. That is a hypocritical teaching.

So do you believe the Bible is the Word of God or that it's just a book of stories, and in the case of these texts...poems; Which one?

Pretty cool huh?

1. blessing
  2. (source of) blessing
  3. blessing, prosperity
  5. a gift, present
  6. treaty of peace
I think you've driven well off the reservation Chuck.

I never really wanted to live on a reservation. All I wanted was to live as a fully functional human being.

It is a make work project. If I told you to sweep a dirt road, does it make any money? Does it generate any income? Can you sell it? No.

If money doesn't matter then why not just give it to the poor? It was never the intent to help the poor (Democrats and Republicans) and there are a lot of rich democrats in congress with a majority in the Senate.

50 Billion could have started up real businesses with real jobs.

So do you believe the Bible is the Word of God or that it's just a book of stories, and in the case of these texts...poems; Which one?

Proverbs was undoubtedly written by not only well educated men, but well written men. Most likely the royal scribes. Some think it is a collection of writings by various tribal leaders and their scribes. Either way it is a fascinating book written by some very, very smart people about ways to conduct a society....in ancient times.

Last edited:

Let's just stop there.

Period.

He also taught us not to steal. Why do you ignore that part of his post?

You do not bless a man by robbing a person and giving it to someone else. Even if your intentions are noble, you've committed an evil against a person.

It's not our job to make people who are rich give to the poor. They are the ones responsible for their stewardship. They are the ones who have to answer to God for what they do.

The power of heaven does not come with compulsion. It comes with persuasion, long suffering, kindness, gentleness, meekness, love unfeigned, etc.

It's unrighteous dominion that comes with force.

Compassion for the elderly, the poor, the sick, and women and children. Those are liberal ideals. Greed, hate, war and prejudice are the ideals of the GOP and fake christians.

i don't see how you show compassion to the elderly, the poor, the sick or anyone else by making them dependent on an uncaring government.

If you truly care for these people, you will take care of them yourself instead of outsourcing it to others. You will teach them how to provide for themselves.

Taking wealth from others to pay off people to keep politicians in power is hardly Christian. Nor is it compassionate.

Forum List

Back