Does Mental Disability excuse antisocial and ethical behavior?

Does Mental Disability excuse antisocial and ethical behavior?

• Mostly

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Seldomly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
It depends, you know?

IMO,there is antisocial and then there is antisocial....

If you cross a red line whith your antisocial then we have a problem here.

I myself is antisocial in many ways. Much of it is due to Asperger's syndrome.

This answer to your question is as simple as asking yourself if you could excuse a mentally ill neighbor who broke into your home and set it on fire. Let's say you get yourself, your pets and your family out of the house before it burns down. Could you show mercy even though your mentally disabled neighbor reduced your home to a pile of ash? What if you stopped your troubled neighbor from burning down your home in the nick of time but then you had to live beside him knowing he might try the same thing again and again? Questions, questions, questions, oh my.

This answer to your question is as simple as asking yourself if you could excuse a mentally ill neighbor who broke into your home and set it on fire. Let's say you get yourself, your pets and your family out of the house before it burns down. Could you show mercy even though your mentally disabled neighbor reduced your home to a pile of ash? What if you stopped your troubled neighbor from burning down your home in the nick of time but then you had to live beside him knowing he might try the same thing again and again? Questions, questions, questions, oh my.

I think your example is a bit of a stretch. To be mentally ill enough to set fire to someone's home means you either don't know right from wrong or you are actively trying to hurt or kill people.

Being antisocial just means you get no pleasure from interacting with people and dislike society. Antisocial people still go out in public, grocery shop etc. But they avoid anything except the absolute minimum of interaction. But they do not wish any ill towards people.

I think your example is a bit of a stretch. To be mentally ill enough to set fire to someone's home means you either don't know right from wrong or you are actively trying to hurt or kill people.

Being antisocial just means you get no pleasure from interacting with people and dislike society. Antisocial people still go out in public, grocery shop etc. But they avoid anything except the absolute minimum of interaction. But they do not wish any ill towards people.

I agree and I wasn't attempting to generalize or stigmatize antisocial individuals. The OP seemed focused on excusing antisocial behavior due to diagnosis of mental disability—a potentially slippery slope of an operating theory—in my opinion. Rubber stamping antisocial behavior as always socially benign can be detrimental to public safety. That being said, I also agree many antisocial afflicted individuals can fall prey to victimization both at the hands of the general public and predatory therapists, particularly those therapists seeking or holding advanced criminal behavior degrees.

OK. By antisocial I do not mean criminal activity. I mean something both ethical and is very strongly condemned by Society.

I wonder about the claim that most of those with aspergers distrust authority figures.

I think part of it is as someone with aspgers, that i question everything.

Authority imho has to have a good reason for being in authority and making rules and not just "i told you so" or "that the one paying for a website makes the rules."

Because i think we have often seen in our own history how power tends to corrupt.

Like just turn to the news and see police officers beating a teenager or a Black man simply because they are suspected for being a criminal.

Or how Politicians will accept bribes from special interest groups and hug children, while creating laws that further erode our freedoms.

I think i saw a saying once, that said that Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I myself is antisocial in many ways. Much of it is due to Asperger's syndrome.

This is antisocial personal disorder
You or a friend might say “I’m antisocial,” meaning that you'd like to spend time alone that day—or most of the time.

But when psychologists use the term “antisocial,” they don’t mean loners. To be diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder, you need to treat others badly, breaking trust and rules without remorse.

In response to your question, it depends.

But when psychologists use the term “antisocial,” they don’t mean loners. To be diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder, you need to treat others badly, breaking trust and rules without remorse.
I am sorry I did not express my definition clearly. By antisocial, I mean someone who disregards Society's values.

If the antisocial behavior involves exposing themselves in front of girls, at a school.....

That's a red line IMO

Not acceptable.
That is unethical antisocial behavior.

I am guilty of ethical antisocial behavior as the thread title suggests. I point out injustice within Society. Many people would not tolerate it.

Forum List

Back