Does Evolution Lead to Fear of Aliens?

This is your opinion based on vastness of space. This is what atheist scientist Carl Sagan believed. He would not accept UFO sightings as he thought they were unreliable. It means there wasn't a sighting that a scientist would accept unless he was a weirdo. First, show us there's an advanced alien species. Can you show a single-cell one? Oh yeah, Carl Sagan sent time capsules into space for intelligent aliens to find, but still no response. He died with no evidence of aliens. I would think so would you.
I have no illusions that we will ever meet an alien species

If you'll noticed I qualified the statement you are responding to with "assuming they exist"
I do not doubt that somewhere in the universe another life form exists whether we will ever know that before we go extinct is another matter altogether

My bad. I was more open minded about aliens and another life form existing until I heard the fine tuning theory. Now I tend to doubt it. If there is, then there would be a good chance it escaped from our planet. For example, if we found bacteria growing on the moon. Moon Microbe Mystery Finally Solved

I think extrapolating the properties of the entire universe from our most minuscule little corner of it to be an error.
Why? You do realize that we are not extrapolating from our minuscule little corner, right? The red shift tells us that everything is moving away from us. That coupled with the solutions of Einstein's Theory of General relativity - which has been confirmed in a myriad of ways - tells us that all the matter in the universe occupied the space a million billion billion times smaller than a single atom and then expanded and cooled.

that has nothing to do with life in the universe does it? I didn't even mention the big bang

You didn't mention much science either. Big oak trees come from little acorns, but the little acorns first came from big oak trees. Thus, the universe started from what? Teensy, tiny invisible particles?

Before weren't you theorizing that Jesus was an avatar from another world? Now you're claiming his kingdom is not of this world. Which world is this?

Yes. Which world is this? Earth?

Where am I suppose to find this world?

The kingdom of God is within.

Thinking is the best way to travel.

Using thinking, I don't think it's on Earth because we all end up leaving it. Now, some may return as written in the Bible but what about heaven? Where is that in your thinking?

EDIT: Actually, I'm asking this because there is one thing that puzzled me about heaven.

Last edited:
Before weren't you theorizing that Jesus was an avatar from another world? Now you're claiming his kingdom is not of this world. Which world is this?

Yes, whats the difference?

so then you admit god and his kingdom only exists in the minds of men

No, For a being to qualify as God his existence would have to be absolute, his essence incorporeal, his kingdom eternal and sovereign over all lesser forms of life on every planet whether its governance is perceived by the minds of men or not.

They could be among but have the ability to look human because the might have the ability to take-on human form by stealing our bodies while we sleep.

Sure, maybe Jesus was an avatar from another world under orders, a higher form of intelligent life in a disturbing disguise, wearing the clothes of an uncultured first century Jewish peasant of no account with the ability to travel through space and time and the authority to direct the course of history for either good or evil by living among humans, testing their mettle, and disappearing into thin air relatively unnoticed at the time from time to time.....

But look at the evidence. That's not what the Bible says.

Sure it does. Jesus said that he came from heaven and that didn't come of his own accord,God sent him. His kingdom is not of this world. Jesus said the words he spoke are words the Father gave him to speak as his highest ranking representative to this world. And he said that he would come again, relatively unnoticed, like a thief in the night.

Before weren't you theorizing that Jesus was an avatar from another world? Now you're claiming his kingdom is not of this world. Which world is this? Where am I suppose to find this world?
you have to be a jesus boot licker your whole life then die to find out

I don't think one has to be boot licker like those who kiss Darwin's arse. All one has to do is follow Jesus. Anyway, there's the other routes which one can discover, too.

Using thinking, I don't think it's on Earth because we all end up leaving it. Now, some may return as written in the Bible but what about heaven? Where is that in your thinking?

It is the highest realm of conscious life, a dimension of incorporeal beings and spheres of intelligences eternal in nature, only open to the pure of mind who accept divine instruction, master the law, and become holy as God is holy..

8763-hawking.jpg

Renowned celebrity physicist Stephen Hawking is at the forefront of the search for extra-terrestrial life. But he warns against making contact with aliens as he fears they will be two-billion-years ‘more evolved’.

"Time and again I am confronted with the view from young people that “Of course there are aliens out there. We can’t be the only ones.” This is a surprise to many of the older church folk in my acquaintance. However, CMI’s UFO authority, Gary Bates, indicates that in his experience belief in aliens can be found across all age groups—including churchgoers. Surveys estimate that more than 80% of Western peoples believe that ET is ‘out there somewhere’ which presumably encapsulates a lot of believers also.1 But many young folk in particular have been influenced by science fiction notions of aliens traversing the galaxy in their faster-than-light spaceships and advanced weaponry. And older folk are especially surprised to see that young people’s belief in extra-terrestrials often goes hand-in-hand with a morbid fear of what aliens will do to them.

Belief in aliens—and fear arising from that—is a logical outflow of our young people having been sold the idea that we are the result of evolution, not creation. Life evolved on Earth (the argument says), therefore elsewhere in the universe—billions of years older than our solar system according to evolutionary reckoning—it would surely have evolved there, too.2 As well-known Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) researcher Seth Shostak said when asked why he believed in the existence of intelligent extraterrestrials:

By hawking evolution to a vulnerable public, they’re also hawking fear of aliens, too
“To believe that they don’t exist requires positing that what’s happened on Earth is some sort of miracle. I find that premise a tougher sell than to think that intelligence is a fairly frequent development in a 14-billion-year-old cosmos.”3"

It's amusing in that it's science fiction, but I also know that people who believe in other people will believe it no matter how smart they think they are. To believe that they don't exist means that some kind of miracle happened on Earth.

1. Bates, G., and Cosner, L., UFOlogy: the world’s fastest-growing ‘scientific’ religion?, 2016; creation.com/ufology. ET needed evolution, 2016; creation.com/et-evolution.
  2. DiGregorio, B., Interview: The alien hunter, New Scientist 199(2674):42–43, September 2008; newscientist.com.
  3. DiGregorio, B., Interview: The alien hunter, New Scientist 199(2674):42–43, September 2008; newscientist.com.
Full article here
Hawking fear of aliens - creation.com

Well, if one were to start with the premis that God was responsible for the Big Bang, there are not many inconsistencies left to deal with.

It is the highest realm of conscious life, a dimension of incorporeal beings and spheres of intelligences eternal in nature, only open to the pure of mind who accept divine instruction, master the law, and become holy as God is holy..
Have you done this? Are you as holy as God is holy?

It is the highest realm of conscious life, a realm of incorporeal beings and spheres of intelligences eternal in nature, only open to the pure of mind who accept divine instruction, master the law, and become holy as God is holy..

Ok, I think we agree that God created heaven and the angels first. If so, what were God and the angels doing before he created Adam and Eve? What made Lucifer rebel against God?

8763-hawking.jpg

Renowned celebrity physicist Stephen Hawking is at the forefront of the search for extra-terrestrial life. But he warns against making contact with aliens as he fears they will be two-billion-years ‘more evolved’.

"Time and again I am confronted with the view from young people that “Of course there are aliens out there. We can’t be the only ones.” This is a surprise to many of the older church folk in my acquaintance. However, CMI’s UFO authority, Gary Bates, indicates that in his experience belief in aliens can be found across all age groups—including churchgoers. Surveys estimate that more than 80% of Western peoples believe that ET is ‘out there somewhere’ which presumably encapsulates a lot of believers also.1 But many young folk in particular have been influenced by science fiction notions of aliens traversing the galaxy in their faster-than-light spaceships and advanced weaponry. And older folk are especially surprised to see that young people’s belief in extra-terrestrials often goes hand-in-hand with a morbid fear of what aliens will do to them.

Belief in aliens—and fear arising from that—is a logical outflow of our young people having been sold the idea that we are the result of evolution, not creation. Life evolved on Earth (the argument says), therefore elsewhere in the universe—billions of years older than our solar system according to evolutionary reckoning—it would surely have evolved there, too.2 As well-known Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) researcher Seth Shostak said when asked why he believed in the existence of intelligent extraterrestrials:

By hawking evolution to a vulnerable public, they’re also hawking fear of aliens, too
“To believe that they don’t exist requires positing that what’s happened on Earth is some sort of miracle. I find that premise a tougher sell than to think that intelligence is a fairly frequent development in a 14-billion-year-old cosmos.”3"

It's amusing in that it's science fiction, but I also know that people who believe in other people will believe it no matter how smart they think they are. To believe that they don't exist means that some kind of miracle happened on Earth.

1. Bates, G., and Cosner, L., UFOlogy: the world’s fastest-growing ‘scientific’ religion?, 2016; creation.com/ufology. ET needed evolution, 2016; creation.com/et-evolution.
  2. DiGregorio, B., Interview: The alien hunter, New Scientist 199(2674):42–43, September 2008; newscientist.com.
  3. DiGregorio, B., Interview: The alien hunter, New Scientist 199(2674):42–43, September 2008; newscientist.com.
Full article here

Well, if one were to start with the premis that God was responsible for the Big Bang, there are not many inconsistencies left to deal with.

The creation scientists are saying the BBT is wrong although it helps them with Genesis. BBT explains it in a material world or with a material explanation.

I have no illusions that we will ever meet an alien species

If you'll noticed I qualified the statement you are responding to with "assuming they exist"
I do not doubt that somewhere in the universe another life form exists whether we will ever know that before we go extinct is another matter altogether

My bad. I was more open minded about aliens and another life form existing until I heard the fine tuning theory. Now I tend to doubt it. If there is, then there would be a good chance it escaped from our planet. For example, if we found bacteria growing on the moon. Moon Microbe Mystery Finally Solved

I think extrapolating the properties of the entire universe from our most minuscule little corner of it to be an error.
Why? You do realize that we are not extrapolating from our minuscule little corner, right? The red shift tells us that everything is moving away from us. That coupled with the solutions of Einstein's Theory of General relativity - which has been confirmed in a myriad of ways - tells us that all the matter in the universe occupied the space a million billion billion times smaller than a single atom and then expanded and cooled.

that has nothing to do with life in the universe does it? I didn't even mention the big bang

You didn't mention much science either. Big oak trees come from little acorns, but the little acorns first came from big oak trees. Thus, the universe started from what? Teensy, tiny invisible particles?
you want to rehash the accepted science feel free.
The big bang is a theory that fits our observations so it is useful in that way.

The thread is , I thought, about the possibility of other sentient life in the universe

8763-hawking.jpg

Full article here

The creation scientists are saying the BBT is wrong although it helps them with Genesis. BBT explains it in a material world or with a material explanation.
Then this would imply aliens on another planet were also created by God. Right? I don't really see any inconsistencies yet.

Let me put it this way.

It is not possible that I could have taken scripture read by billions of people for thousands of years and in full view of believers and unbelievers alike produced new meaning never seen or heard before, impossible to un-see, unless comprehension denied up to this point in space and time had been granted to me by God.

No, For a being to qualify as God his existence would have to be absolute, his essence incorporeal, his kingdom eternal and sovereign over all lesser forms of life on every planet whether its governance is perceived by the minds of men or not.
well then you cannot think your way to god or his kingdom as you say

well then you cannot think your way to god or his kingdom as you say
That is probably true, but notional belief does usually come before conviction. If you don't notionally believe it is possible, you will never take the steps to actually experience it for yourself which is the only way you will ever truly know.

Let me put it this way.

It is not possible that I could have taken scripture read by billions of people for thousands of years and in full view of believers and unbelievers alike produced new meaning never seen or heard before, impossible to un-see, unless comprehension denied up to this point in space and time had been granted to me by God.
Actually it is possible. Who said you are right?

Then you're good with science fiction, for the most part. There's more evidence of God if you ask me.
God created the Natural Universe and all the laws within it. We were born with brains and heart. The expectation seems to be that we should use both. Science is a method to study the laws of God's work and, therefore, science is the study of the divine.

To ignore our gifts and to ignore the God's creation is to deny God.

They could be among but have the ability to look human because the might have the ability to take-on human form by stealing our bodies while we sleep.

Sure, maybe Jesus was an avatar from another world under orders, a higher form of intelligent life in a disturbing disguise, wearing the clothes of an uncultured first century Jewish peasant of no account with the ability to travel through space and time and the authority to direct the course of history for either good or evil by living among humans, testing their mettle, and disappearing into thin air relatively unnoticed at the time from time to time.....

But look at the evidence. That's not what the Bible says.

Sure it does. Jesus said that he came from heaven and that didn't come of his own accord,God sent him. His kingdom is not of this world. Jesus said the words he spoke are words the Father gave him to speak as his highest ranking representative to this world. And he said that he would come again, relatively unnoticed, like a thief in the night.
What Jesus "said" is all hearsay.

Of course it is. So what. If you care to find out if there is any truth in any of it, you have to sort it out. Like any rumor, to know the truth you have to go to the source.

I heard that the guy claimed to have achieved the power of life over death. His teaching is that life is potentially permanent.

Wouldn't you like to have and know a more exalted experience of life than just eating garbage and wallowing around in your own feces every day??
Sorry, I don't live my life by rumours. Jesus claimed a lot of things, none of which have been proven to be true. So really, all you have is wishful thinking, and if I go by your response, a full diaper also. :D

What does it say about a concept of 'God' that 'creation' had to be in stages/days and not all complete at once? It should be obvious that any and all descriptions of 'God' limit 'God' and can at the very most only be a tool for explaining, as to a child.

What does it say about a concept of 'God' that 'creation' had to be in stages/days and not all complete at once? It should be obvious that any and all descriptions of 'God' limit 'God' and can at the very most only be a tool for explaining, as to a child.
Disagreed. While some descriptions of God do limit God such as "Do as I say, not as I do", creating the universe via the Big Bang and evolution instead of instantly formed is a form of growth, not a limitation.

FWIW, most modern Christians believe in both the Trinity and a "personal God" (one who grants wishes through prayer). I am more like Thomas Jefferson in that I'm a Deist, a believer in a "watchmaker" God; one that creates the Universe then allows it to grow naturally on its own. Why would God do this? A long asked question of which I do not have the answer.

Forum List

Back