Does Earth's magnetic field have any effect at all on the climate? Bueller? Anyone?

Do you have an authoritative link expressing those views Frank?
Just listening to the AGW Cult on here. Are now saying that changes in the magnetic field might account for climate change in Greenland

No. I hate to tell you this, but none of the constituents of the Earth's atmosphere are affected by magnetic fields. There is a hypothesis that's been floating around for some time that contends that cosmic ray particles are responsible for seeding the growth of clouds and thus the Earth's magnetic field, by affecting the number and energy level of such particles, affects the climate. Check out The earth's magnetic field impacts climate//Viewzone. This sort of effect was also investigated at CERN just a couple years ago.

Here, from Wikipedia's article on the solar wind

Pressure
The wind exerts a pressure at 1 AU typically in the range of 1–6 nPa (1–6×10−9 N/m2)*, although it can readily vary outside that range.

The ram pressure is a function of wind speed and density. The formula is

P = mp * n * V2= 1.6726×10−6 * n * V2

where mp is the proton mass, pressure P is in nPa (nanopascals), n is the density in particles/cm3 and V is the speed in km/s of the solar wind

Atmospheres

The solar wind affects other incoming cosmic rays interacting with planetary atmospheres. Moreover, planets with a weak or non-existent magnetosphere are subject to atmospheric stripping by the solar wind.

Venus, the nearest and most similar planet to Earth, has 100 times denser atmosphere, with little or no geo-magnetic field. Space probes discovered a comet-like tail that extends to Earth's orbit.[45]

Earth itself is largely protected from the solar wind by its magnetic field, which deflects most of the charged particles; however some of the charged particles are trapped in the Van Allen radiation belt. A smaller number of particles from the solar wind manage to travel, as though on an electromagnetic energy transmission line, to the Earth's upper atmosphere and ionosphere in the auroral zones. The only time the solar wind is observable on the Earth is when it is strong enough to produce phenomena such as the aurora and geomagnetic storms. Bright auroras strongly heat the ionosphere, causing its plasma to expand into the magnetosphere, increasing the size of the plasma geosphere and injecting atmospheric matter into the solar wind. Geomagnetic storms result when the pressure of plasmas contained inside the magnetosphere is sufficiently large to inflate and thereby distort the geomagnetic field.

Although Mars is larger than Mercury and four times farther from the Sun, it is thought that the solar wind has stripped away up to a third of its original atmosphere, leaving a layer 1/100th as dense as the Earth's. It is believed the mechanism for this atmospheric stripping is gas caught in bubbles of magnetic field, which are ripped off by solar winds.[46] In 2015 the NASA Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) mission measured the rate of atmospheric stripping caused by the magnetic field carried by the solar wind as it flows past Mars, which generates an electric field, much as a turbine on Earth can be used to generate electricity. This electric field accelerates electrically charged gas atoms, called ions, in Mars' upper atmosphere and shoots them into space.[47] The MAVEN mission measured the rate of atmospheric stripping at about 100 grams (≈1/4 lb) per second.[48]

* 1.4504 x 10^-13 to 8.7023 x 10^-13 psi which is enough to compress a 100 mile column of 7.35 psi air as much as 5.5 millionths of an inch. If I understood him correctly, Billy Bob is claiming that variations in the solar wind pressure could be responsible for global warming due to this compression and decompression.

Last edited:

Pressure
The wind exerts a pressure at 1 AU typically in the range of 1–6 nPa (1–6×10−9 N/m2)*, although it can readily vary outside that range.

where mp is the proton mass, pressure P is in nPa (nanopascals), n is the density in particles/cm3 and V is the speed in km/s of the solar wind

Atmospheres

The solar wind affects other incoming cosmic rays interacting with planetary atmospheres. Moreover, planets with a weak or non-existent magnetosphere are subject to atmospheric stripping by the solar wind.

Venus, the nearest and most similar planet to Earth, has 100 times denser atmosphere, with little or no geo-magnetic field. Space probes discovered a comet-like tail that extends to Earth's orbit.[45]

Earth itself is largely protected from the solar wind by its magnetic field, which deflects most of the charged particles; however some of the charged particles are trapped in the Van Allen radiation belt. A smaller number of particles from the solar wind manage to travel, as though on an electromagnetic energy transmission line, to the Earth's upper atmosphere and ionosphere in the auroral zones. The only time the solar wind is observable on the Earth is when it is strong enough to produce phenomena such as the aurora and geomagnetic storms. Bright auroras strongly heat the ionosphere, causing its plasma to expand into the magnetosphere, increasing the size of the plasma geosphere and injecting atmospheric matter into the solar wind. Geomagnetic storms result when the pressure of plasmas contained inside the magnetosphere is sufficiently large to inflate and thereby distort the geomagnetic field.

Although Mars is larger than Mercury and four times farther from the Sun, it is thought that the solar wind has stripped away up to a third of its original atmosphere, leaving a layer 1/100th as dense as the Earth's. It is believed the mechanism for this atmospheric stripping is gas caught in bubbles of magnetic field, which are ripped off by solar winds.[46] In 2015 the NASA Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) mission measured the rate of atmospheric stripping caused by the magnetic field carried by the solar wind as it flows past Mars, which generates an electric field, much as a turbine on Earth can be used to generate electricity. This electric field accelerates electrically charged gas atoms, called ions, in Mars' upper atmosphere and shoots them into space.[47] The MAVEN mission measured the rate of atmospheric stripping at about 100 grams (≈1/4 lb) per second.[48]

* 1.4504 x 10^-13 to 8.7023 x 10^-13 psi which is enough to compress a 100 mile column of 7.35 psi air as much as 5.5 millionths of an inch. If I understood him correctly, Billy Bob is claiming that variations in the solar wind pressure could be responsible for global warming due to this compression and decompression.
Let me know when you get your degree in atmospheric physics. Wiki has serious failures..

Then show us a better source with different values.

And for someone who has just today criticized my reference to the IPCC and their sources as a fallacious appeal to authority, you wasted little time in pulling up your own.

The magnetic field coupled with earths rotation is what drives all weather.

Rubbish, unless you can show me what in our atmosphere is magnetic. Hold out a magnet and tell me how many Nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, methane or water droplets it attracts. What droves our weather is the SUN, coupled with the rotation and tilting of our Earth. The Sun heats the atmosphere and the rotation causes it to mix in an uneven way. The Earth's attempt to equalize and distribute the heating and related water vapor is what drives weather.

Rubbish, unless you can show me what in our atmosphere is magnetic. Hold out a magnet and tell me how many Nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, methane or water droplets it attracts. What droves our weather is the SUN, coupled with the rotation and tilting of our Earth. The Sun heats the atmosphere and the rotation causes it to mix in an uneven way. The Earth's attempt to equalize and distribute the heating and related water vapor is what drives weather.
Explain why our atmosphere is not flung from our planet with rotation.. I'll wait.

Explain why our atmosphere is not flung from our planet with rotation.. I'll wait.

Wow. You really are ignorant. Is that what attracts people to social media, too stupid to have any real life? What, are you some dumbass who thinks that magnetic attraction holds it to the planet? Idiot, GRAVITY keeps it from being flung from the planet, same as us. The Earth doesn't spin fast enough to overcome gravity. It's called centripetal vs. centrifugal force. Christ, you don't even have a 5th grade education. If you still don't believe me, please do try to prove me wrong. The magnetic field of the Earth has NOTHING to do with the weather, climate, nor keeping the sky and the oceans from flying out into space. Wow.

Please give some slack to Frank, his crusade was created by waves of energy which emanate from solar flares and ionic waves from the occasional comet.

Frank's theories are disturbed - in many ways - but in this case by magnetism. He had been advised to remove the Iron plate in which he lines his hat and replace it with aluminum foil, but his new MAGA hat came without any filters at all and he must have used the iron hat which under magnetic influence rattle the gray matter even more than the usual abnormal.

A=G/E

WHAT?!?!? Are you actually suggesting that the Earth's atmosphere is held by the Earth's magnetic field?

Wow. You really are ignorant. Is that what attracts people to social media, too stupid to have any real life? What, are you some dumbass who thinks that magnetic attraction holds it to the planet? Idiot, GRAVITY keeps it from being flung from the planet, same as us. The Earth doesn't spin fast enough to overcome gravity. It's called centripetal vs. centrifugal force. Christ, you don't even have a 5th grade education. If you still don't believe me, please do try to prove me wrong. The magnetic field of the Earth has NOTHING to do with the weather, climate, nor keeping the sky and the oceans from flying out into space. Wow.

As the mechanism to gravity has not been established the term magnetism is used to explain the downward force that is applied to molecules in our atmosphere.

It is this downward pull (pressure) is magnetic in nature as it pulls against all matter and all matter has an electrical charge variance to which it is attracted.

And it matters to how the flows on earth propagate..
Earth’s magnetic field is collapsing and it is affecting the climate

Carry on with your rant..

Last edited:
As the mechanism to gravity has not been established the term magnetism is used to explain the downward force that is applied to molecules in our atmosphere.

It is this downward pull (pressure) is magnetic in nature as it pulls against all matter and all matter has an electrical charge variance to which it is attracted.

Wow. Have you run this past your advisor?

Last edited:

Wow, dude, you are generally on topic when it comes to politics, but you should stay far and away from science topics! I know 4th graders with more smarts than you. But thanks for the laugh---- there is no possibility of intelligent conversation here with anyone so backward as you apparently too lazy to even make the effort of do a couple easy searches on gravity and magnetism to prove yourself totally wrong, so I'm going to copy some of your comments to let some scientist friends of mine read your comments to see that education really has failed in this country and the Neanderthal do still walk among us. The really sad part to all of this is that people like you simply add fuel to the Left's argument that right-wingers and Trump supporters really are stupid, backward people!

No. I hate to tell you this, but none of the constituents of the Earth's atmosphere are affected by magnetic fields. There is a hypothesis that's been floating around for some time that contends that cosmic ray particles are responsible for seeding the growth of clouds and thus the Earth's magnetic field, by affecting the number and energy level of such particles, affects the climate. Check out The earth's magnetic field impacts climate//Viewzone. This sort of effect was also investigated at CERN just a couple years ago.

"it can only be explained through the magnetic field's blocking of the cosmetic rays,"

Another article of higher learning for the internet age. o_O The main thing that blocks cosmic rays is the atmosphere itself, when the cosmic ray particle collides with atoms in the upper atmosphere, it breaks them up into other, lower energy particles. While magnetically influenced, cosmic ray particles are too fast and too high energy to be stopped in whole by Earth's weak magnetic field which is why they shower down through our atmosphere.

cosmic-rays.jpg
Cosmic+Rays+(radiation).jpg

Pressure

Atmospheres

Let me know when you get your degree in atmospheric physics. Wiki has serious failures..

No, better yet, let us know when you even get a GED high school diploma.

Forum List

Back