Does anyone know how to identify edible mushrooms from pictures?

I would not eat them OP, but that's just me.

Why would you want more problems in life...in case of getting sick ....etc....???:omg::dunno:

Here are what some of the mushrooms growing here look like:
20200820_164412.jpg
20200820_164429.jpg
20200820_164509.jpg
20200820_164515.jpg

The color is a little bit off due to the haze from the fires going on in the area.

I spread a lot of wood chips for landscaping purposes and the grass is starting to grow now.

I am into container gardening now and watering the yard more often and some mushrooms are starting to grow. I am just wondering if they are edible or not.
I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.

As an experienced gardener and herbologist, let me tell you this:

IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY UNTESTED MUSHROOMS based on mere photos and internet opinions, you won't be long for the hospital if not this world.

THE ONLY WAY to learn edible from poisonous mushrooms is to be taught in person, hand in hand, by an expert in the field. Many deadly mushrooms look virtually indistinguishable from happy edible ones.

Now, you have been warned.

Fungi are among the most toxic things on the planet. Dabble at your own risk, for its not that they will kill you, but your longing for death, begging for death, or what even a small piece of the wrong one can do to your organs permanently and yet still leave you alive afterwards.
The only mushrooms I eat in the wild are Morels.
Many others are edible but they have to be cooked.
Course I have eaten raw button mushrooms I bought in Walmart and got food poisoning from them.
I wash them all with a little bleach water and rinse well before eating. Especially those from the store.

We've had these growing on some old log pieces all summer. Very good simmered in butter.

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571
How did you go about trying them?
Washed them and sauteed in butter.

I am working on some compost piles; maybe that will work since I need to keep them wet anyway.
You can buy spores online for edible mushrooms. Loose spores is how Golden mushrooms got started here in Iowa and up until now the weather has been wet off and on with perfect temps for these Golden ones to grow here.

I have had a few from the store start on an old cotton mop before so you might be able to get some spores from those at the store but generally those are grown in a very controlled setting.

I would not try to eat the ones you have pictured.

I am into container gardening now and watering the yard more often and some mushrooms are starting to grow. I am just wondering if they are edible or not.

IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY UNTESTED MUSHROOMS based on mere photos and internet opinions, you won't be long for the hospital if not this world.

THE ONLY WAY to learn edible from poisonous mushrooms is to be taught in person, hand in hand, by an expert in the field. Many deadly mushrooms look virtually indistinguishable from happy edible ones.

Fungi are among the most toxic things on the planet. Dabble at your own risk, for its not that they will kill you, but your longing for death, begging for death, or what even a small piece of the wrong one can do to your organs permanently and yet still leave you alive afterwards.
Course I have eaten raw button mushrooms I bought in Walmart and got food poisoning from them.
Probably wasn't cleaned properly. I knew a guy once who worked for midnight mushrooms who grew large quantities of those common white mushrooms you get in the grocery, they grow them in dark caves, and he got real sick just from touching the soil and breathing the air.

I love mushrooms, eat them raw all the time and have books on them but would never trust myself to pick my own in the wild.

Shrooms are nothing to fool around with unless you are CERTAIN you know what your dealing with.

I wash them all with a little bleach water and rinse well before eating. Especially those from the store.

We've had these growing on some old log pieces all summer. Very good simmered in butter.

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571
I guess you are pretty good at identifying edible mushrooms.

I am working on some compost piles; maybe that will work since I need to keep them wet anyway.
You can buy spores online for edible mushrooms. Loose spores is how Golden mushrooms got started here in Iowa and up until now the weather has been wet off and on with perfect temps for these Golden ones to grow here.

I have had a few from the store start on an old cotton mop before so you might be able to get some spores from those at the store but generally those are grown in a very controlled setting.

I would not try to eat the ones you have pictured.
ok. thanks.

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571
No I just did a lot of research into the goldens because there was loads of them growing in my wood this year. and considered growing some from spores, had some grow from store ones I dried by the stove (the mop just happened to be in the right spot when spores fell).

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571
No I just did a lot of research into the goldens because there was loads of them growing in my wood this year. and considered growing some from spores, had some grow from store ones I dried by the stove (the mop just happened to be in the right spot when spores fell).

Be safe and just order spores off the internet.

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571

Be safe and just order spores off the internet.
I've cooked the goldens and morels that grow here and they were very good. The Puff balls silced and fried are pretty good too.

I also eat the tips on the Milkweed when they first come on. They have a taste similar to a mild asparagus. Some people think they are poisonous because they cannot tell the difference between dog bane and milk weed; which are very different but do have similar shaped leaves and both have sticky milk like substances when broken but they smell very different to one another. Lots of wild foods are good to eat and some are very good for one too. Just take the time to learn and don't eat anything that is questionable.

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571
Mushrooms are considered environmentally friendly because they can grow just about anywhere, used coffee grounds, etc. I hope to try to start some on some compost piles.

Thanks

Get help, don't go by pics. Some look 99% like another but one will kill you. I learned many shrooms but would never trust pics for an ID

Forum List

Back