Does anyone know how to identify edible mushrooms from pictures?

danielpalos

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2015
Alta California, federalist.
I am into container gardening now and watering the yard more often and some mushrooms are starting to grow. I am just wondering if they are edible or not.

I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Depends. There are mushroom groups on Facebook that has some fairly knowledgeable people in them. I can only recognize the edible ones that grow here where we live.

I am into container gardening now and watering the yard more often and some mushrooms are starting to grow. I am just wondering if they are edible or not.

Thanks

try them all and let us know what happens

• Banned

Thanks

try them all and let us know what happens
With small pieces at a time, I may develop some immunity.

Best not to eat any wild mushrooms unless you really know what you're doing.

I understand there to be no easy, universal way to distinguish edible mushrooms from those that can kill you, other than being familiar with certain species known to be safe, and being very clear on the difference between them and similar-appearing species that re unsafe.

As an experienced gardener and herbologist, let me tell you this:

IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY UNTESTED MUSHROOMS based on mere photos and internet opinions, you won't be long for the hospital if not this world.

THE ONLY WAY to learn edible from poisonous mushrooms is to be taught in person, hand in hand, by an expert in the field. Many deadly mushrooms look virtually indistinguishable from happy edible ones.

Now, you have been warned.

Fungi are among the most toxic things on the planet. Dabble at your own risk, for its not that they will kill you, but your longing for death, begging for death, or what even a small piece of the wrong one can do to your organs permanently and yet still leave you alive afterwards.

Last edited:

Thanks

If you were a trumptard I'd just say it's ok to eat any of them, but since you're not the answer is no.
I actually tried a small piece of a mushroom that smelled like culinary mushrooms. I am not sure if I experienced any psychedelic effects since I was smoking pot at the time and it didn't last very long.
You've got to eat a whole bunch of them. A small piece won't do anything.

In the Alta California region of the country there are no poisonous varieties of mushrooms that grow wild, so there is really no chance that they are poisonous.

But there are a lot of different varieties of psychedelics in the region. And don't worry, you cannot OD on magic mushrooms. Try enough different kinds and sooner or later you'll find one that will give you a free high.

Have a nice trip :)

IF YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY UNTESTED MUSHROOMS based on mere photos and internet opinions, you won't be long for the hospital if not this world.

THE ONLY WAY to learn edible from poisonous mushrooms is to be taught in person, hand in hand, by an expert in the field. Many deadly mushrooms look virtually indistinguishable from happy edible ones.

Fungi are among the most toxic things on the planet. Dabble at your own risk, for its not that they will kill you, but your longing for death, begging for death, or what even a small piece of the wrong one can do to your organs permanently and yet still leave you alive afterwards.
The only mushrooms I eat in the wild are Morels.
Many others are edible but they have to be cooked.
Course I have eaten raw button mushrooms I bought in Walmart and got food poisoning from them.

Thanks
Not a good idea. Get it wrong and you can get very sick, damage your liver or even die. I used to photograph mushrooms all the time and never felt confident enough to eat any but one or two that were clearly unmistakable. Some that are safe in one country say Europe are deadly in another like the USA.

Course I have eaten raw button mushrooms I bought in Walmart and got food poisoning from them.
I wash them all with a little bleach water and rinse well before eating. Especially those from the store.

We've had these growing on some old log pieces all summer. Very good simmered in butter.

Gold Mushrooms.PNG
Golden mushrooms.PNG

I wash them all with a little bleach water and rinse well before eating. Especially those from the store.

We've had these growing on some old log pieces all summer. Very good simmered in butter.

View attachment 377570
View attachment 377571
How did you go about trying them?

Forum List

Back