Does a Right to Privacy Exist in the US Constitution?

Does a Right to Privacy Exist in the US Constitution?

• Yes

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • It was found by ultra liberal activist Judges

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
You're reading the wrong books.

Charles-Louis de Secondat, Baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu said: "The political liberty of the subject is a tranquility of mind arising from the opinion each person has of his safety."

Rakove suggests (seriously informed opinion) that beside life and property, liberty was a third most important right of the colonists. Rakove writes "Liberty was also a behavior that was often defined in relation to its deviant opposite, licentiousness. Much as the concept of rights often implied a set of duties and obligations, so true liberty had to be exercised with restraint.

I refer to others because they make the case most eloquently for what the founders believed and where they were coming from. The colonists were subjects, and not citizens, and lived in an altogether different era. Understanding and meanings of concepts have evolved since their time, and had evolved between their time, and the eras of the people they were appealing to as experts and philosophers, as guides for an experiment in self governing.

Free speech was often not about the average subject, but about the right of elected parliamentarians to be heard. Privacy as a concept was much different than you or I would argue about it.

The founding generation of what became the USA, was flying by the seat of their pants on issues of freedom, liberty, and rights. They were experimenting. They had thrown off the protections and burdens of being subjects, and began experimenting with viewing themselves as citizens. Quite often, the views the leaders may have held during the debates in the Continental Congresses, sometimes evolved and sometimes were thrown away as practical experiences in governing (think Madison on seeing the executive branches as a bigger threat than the legislative branches, and doing a complete 180 degree turn on that by 1787), convinced some that they were wrong in many assumptions of human behavior and government.

I can and will go on

Actually, I read books by people who are accredited in fields of research. Listening to you I'd go to a shaman instead of an M.D.

It's like you're pushing a cult's philosophy. You have to discredit experts and recognized authorities, in order to then say look over here - I posses the truth

Points of view are irrelevant to the schematic of our Republic. It speaks for itself.

To repeat. In relation to our compound Republic, and the traditional American philosophy of government, Individual liberty means one thing. And only one thing.

Freedom from government-over-man.

What are you going to give us next? Plato's Republic? Ha.

The Right's favorite Justice

WALLACE: What about the right to privacy that the court found in known 1965?

SCALIA: There is no right to privacy. No generalized right to privacy.

WALLACE: Well, in the Griswold case, the court said there was.

SCALIA: Indeed it did, and that was – that was wrong.

Actually, I read books by people who are accredited in fields of research. Listening to you I'd go to a shaman instead of an M.D.

It's like you're pushing a cult's philosophy. You have to discredit experts and recognized authorities, in order to then say look over here - I posses the truth

Points of view are irrelevant to the schematic of our Republic. It speaks for itself.

To repeat. In relation to our compound Republic, and the traditional American philosophy of governmen, Individual liberty means one thing. And only one thing.

Freedom from government-over-man.

What are you going to give us next? Plato's Republic? Ha.
Your nonsense gets weirder as you attempt to sound informed. Your previous attempts at intelligence fell flat, and now this? What a waste of time.

good bye

Your nonsense gets weirder as you attempt to sound informed. Your previous attempts at intelligence fell flat, and now this? What a waste

Are you in High School or something? Ha. Because it sure seems like it.

Your nonsense gets weirder as you attempt to sound informed. Your previous attempts at intelligence fell flat, and now this? What a waste

Are you in High School or something? Ha. Because it sure seems like it.
The American ideal of 1776: the twelve basic American principles by Hamilton Abert Long, 1976.?

LOL

Weirdo!!!

What is that? Homeschooling History 101?

Ha. Ya wanna go ahead and run along and find judicial review for us in Article III?

We'll wait. Don't trip over your Vans. Ha. Watcha got, the checkered ones or what?

Ha. Ya wanna go ahead and run along and find judicial review for us in Article III?

We'll wait. Don't trip over your Vans. Ha.
judicial review was accepted practice in the colonies, as common law was

try again dopey

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?

Do rights have to be enumerated in the Constitution for them to be held by people?

.>>>>
Do you often post such nonsense?

From your OP: "Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?"

Do you have to be able to point to a right in the Constitution for it to be held by people?

.>>>>

Is this a straw man? "I do not think that the Third Amendment was merely about providing housing for soldiers?"
The thread premise will be moot in a few years when privacy rights jurisprudence is overturned.
this prediction of yours is based on what?

side note: I remember people who thought I was crazy way back when, when I claimed that what was considered by most people to be a conservative court, would recognize the rights of same sex couples not to be discriminated against by government

Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?

Do rights have to be enumerated in the Constitution for them to be held by people?

.>>>>
Do you often post such nonsense?

From your OP: "Does a Right to Privacy Exist somewhere with in the US Constitution, and if so can you point to it?"

Do you have to be able to point to a right in the Constitution for it to be held by people?

.>>>>
again with nonsense?

Forum List

Back