CDZ Do you want to protect schoolchildren right now or not?

Simply arming a few teachers or support staff would likely stop this......killers would never know who was armed or where they were in the building......and letting parents carry their legal guns with them when they visited the school office.........

The killers wouldn't target schools under those conditions.......that would cost the least of all options.....
I honestly don’t think they care. You are looking at people so messed up they aren’t going to think about consequences and might even want to be killed in the process.

The school year is basically over or about to be over across the country, and summer vacation is upon us and the kids. So what can we do between now and September to make our schools safer? Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, however they are defined, is going to happen between now and then. We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, but IMHO it ain't likely and probably not until after the election. Maybe some states will take action of some sort, but before September? I kinda doubt that, so is it not the best thing to do to make our schools safer and more secure in the meantime?

As I see it, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, is somebody headed this way? That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day until the kids have all left. It also means a few security people outside the buildings while the kids are out there coming to school or going home or at recess. You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too. If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem. That means more surveillance and a few more counselors to work with the troubled kids, both victims and abusers. Parents have to be notified as necessary.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security. For instance, you can't leave an external door propped open, and those doors shouldn't be opened by shooting the locks. It seems to me that if properly installed and with proper training that arming teachers might not really be necessary if the bad guys can't get into the building and the cops are called sooner when trouble looks like it's headed towards one of our schools. 100 false alarms is better than 99 false alarms and one mass shooting.
A ban on assault weapons and some magic spell that would snatch up every assault weapon in civilian hands would not stop school shootings.

The shooter could just take a 12 gauge shotgun and a book bag full of loaded revolvers and if he got inside a school he could murder at will.

Schools need to have top notice security including armed guards who are well trained (perhaps ex-police or combat vets). Limited entry, magnetic sensors, locked classrooms, bullet proof glass, video cameras in hallways and classrooms and high fences with barbed wire on top.

If we can afford to help Ukraine beat the Russian invasion, we can secure our schools.

A school suspension or expulsion works too, if warranted.
I like the idea of a form of restorative justice…have them understand what it is like for the other person, bring in the parents when needed, but intervene. Often bullies themselves come from a rough environment.

AS SOON AS WE STOP MAKING IT A POLITICAL PARTY ISSUE, THE SOONER WE CAN START SHAREING INTELEGENT THOUGHTFUL IDEAS.
Sharing. Intelligent.

Or, and hear me out, the sooner we admit that any proposed solution will require an ability and willingness to get into the thorny difficult issues, the sooner we can begin the process in earnest.

But if anyone thinks we can slap some ill-considered one stop one step solution to this problem without hammering-out the associated objections and concerns, then I suspect such a person will be in for a rude awakening.

I honestly don’t think they care. You are looking at people so messed up they aren’t going to think about consequences and might even want to be killed in the process.
As far as I know, ALL of these killers seek out "soft targets." Dying in the process is an afterthought since there really aren't any options left.

Why don’t we just put school kids in PRISON?
When I worked for UPS, we had security very similar to what I described, especially the part about passing through a metal detector just to get through the gate. I never thought of it as prison. I knew that UPS needed to keep their facility secure. Packages are valuable, after all.

So are kids.

It is sad that our decision makers will be influenced by your kind of drama queen talk, especially the all-caps.

When I worked for UPS, we had security very similar to what I described, especially the part about passing through a metal detector just to get through the gate. I never thought of it as prison. I knew that UPS needed to keep their facility secure. Packages are valuable, after all.

So are kids.

It is sad that our decision makers will be influenced by your kind of drama queen talk, especially the all-caps.
LMAO

Who KNEW that I was SO POWERFUL!?!!

LMAO

Do you actually think a SHOOTER will obey a SUSPENSION?

No, you idiot, we're talking about preventing a shooter from becoming a shooter some years earlier. Maybe addressing a festering problem 5 or 10 years earlier might preclude a future shooter from killing a bunch of people when he turns 18. And a suspension is one way to get the parents' attention back when he was 6 or 8 years old.

No, you idiot, we're talking about preventing a shooter from becoming a shooter some years earlier. Maybe addressing a festering problem 5 or 10 years earlier might preclude a future shooter from killing a bunch of people when he turns 18. And a suspension is one way to get the parents' attention back when he was 6 or 8 years old.
Delusional much?

Also, bullying today is not just regulated to the playground, it is all over social media and kids are plugged into a huge circle of people who feed it and feed off it.

I don’t know how you can begin to address that.
Another thing we didn't have fifty years ago was unfettered access to the worst human behavior and violent images at the simple swipe of the finger, and even movie imagery was tame in comparison. Now we get blood and brain matter hitting the camera lens for effect, even in gaming.

We also didn't have this many kids on behavior altering narcotics.

Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day
You mean all of that isn't already being used at schools, yet they talk of banning firearms to all in lieu of these simple measures?

You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.
Maybe Chuck Schumer will propose underground tunnels between the school and each kid's home.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too.
Half of all teens are "troubled." Kinda what being a teen is all about.

If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem.
Great. So if you make fun of a kid, pick on him or hurt his feelings now, you'll be under a federal terrorist watch list 24/7. If that doesn't drive kids to shoot others, I don't know what will.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security.
This isn't rocket science.
  1. You train some of the staff to carry concealed, switch folks around every week or so.
  2. You give students and staff RFID cards to access the building through designated entries.
  3. You put a metal detector inside with security to ensure no one enters with guns or knives.
ITMT, you go back to making schools happy, healthy, helpful places to learn again like they used to be where students making mistakes are corrected with love and compassion instead of strict zero tolerance authoritarianism where students don't live in fear with 101 different reasons why they might get suspended, banned, threatened or arrested just for being kids.

Forum List

Back