Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Polygyny

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I’m for promiscuity!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Against the polygamy

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
It shouldn't be a question of what an individual "supports", because marriage shouldn't be a function of the State. All individuals have a right to free association and a right to contract. If an individual or multiple individuals want a polygamist arrangement, a same sex arrangement etc, they can do so without a state license through a private ceremony and appropriate assets as they wish through contracts.

You don't have a "right" to a government license, that is a privilege.
Horseshit!''

I maintain that marriage is a right. Call it a natural right, a human right, or a fundamental right-it matters little. Natural rights are closely associated with human rights –those rights that we enjoy simply by virtue of being human. Rights that cannot be given or taken away by government. Rights are bestowed upon us at birth. So is marriage a human or natural right? There are some who say that since it is sanctioned by government, in that sense it’s not. However, marriage is an ancient institution that predates recorded history and government as we know it, so we can also say that government did not create marriage but simply imposed itself on it and regulated it.

In addition, fourteen times since 1888, the United States Supreme Court has stated that marriage is a fundamental right of all individualshttp://www.afer.org/blog/14-supreme-court-cases-marriage-is-a-fundamental-right/

Furthermore The Legal Information Institute states”Fundamental rights are a group of rights that have been recognized by the Supreme Court as requiring a high degree of protection from government encroachment. These rights are specifically identified in the Constitution (especially in the Bill of Rights), or have been found under Due Process. Laws limiting these rights generally must pass strict scrutiny to be upheld as constitutional. Examples of fundamental rights not specifically listed in the Constitution include the right to marry and the right to privacy, which includes a right to contraception and the right to interstate travel” http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fundamental_right

Most rights that people enjoy and take for granted in this country, are not specified in the constitution but are legal rights and presumed to be constitutional unless challenged. same Sex marriage has been established by SCOTUS as a legal right.

Still not convinced? Let me ask this….If it’s not a right, what is it? The only possible answer is “privilege” What is a privilege? It’s something that you have to earn. Driving is a privilege. You have to study the rules and take a road test. You do not have to study and take a test to qualify for a marriage license. While both rights and privileges can be forfeited under certain circumstances-commit a crime and lose right to freedom/drive badly and lose your driving privileges-they are by no means the same thing, because the bar, for taking away a right, is set much higher. In addition, as we established above, rights emanate from the fact of being born a human. Privileges do not. We can only conclude that marriage is not a privilege and therefore is a right. When a ten your old asks if she can get married someday, her parent can say “sure” ….unless she means her girlfriend, and then, if she lives in the wrong place she will have to be told “maybe” and it will hurt

So please, please, please, get over it.
If a marriage license were a "right", it wouldn't need to be granted by the State, it would be inherent to our nature, like speech or property. Rights by definition are limitations on the State from intruding the individual's natural state of freedom. Rights are freedom from interference by other people or the state. Individuals have the right to contract as free and sovereign individuals absent government intrusion. So they can create a "marriage contract", or use whatever word they like to describe the arrangement.

A marriage license, where one is granted tax and legal advantages over non-married individuals and unique recognition, is privilege granted by the State, it isn't inherent to the natural state of man.

If property were a right, you wouldn't need a deed or bill of sale.
You don't have a right to a deed or bill of sale.

No more so than you have a right to property.

It shouldn't be a question of what an individual "supports", because marriage shouldn't be a function of the State. All individuals have a right to free association and a right to contract. If an individual or multiple individuals want a polygamist arrangement, a same sex arrangement etc, they can do so without a state license through a private ceremony and appropriate assets as they wish through contracts.

You don't have a "right" to a government license, that is a privilege.
Horseshit!''

I maintain that marriage is a right. Call it a natural right, a human right, or a fundamental right-it matters little. Natural rights are closely associated with human rights –those rights that we enjoy simply by virtue of being human. Rights that cannot be given or taken away by government. Rights are bestowed upon us at birth. So is marriage a human or natural right? There are some who say that since it is sanctioned by government, in that sense it’s not. However, marriage is an ancient institution that predates recorded history and government as we know it, so we can also say that government did not create marriage but simply imposed itself on it and regulated it.

In addition, fourteen times since 1888, the United States Supreme Court has stated that marriage is a fundamental right of all individualshttp://www.afer.org/blog/14-supreme-court-cases-marriage-is-a-fundamental-right/

Furthermore The Legal Information Institute states”Fundamental rights are a group of rights that have been recognized by the Supreme Court as requiring a high degree of protection from government encroachment. These rights are specifically identified in the Constitution (especially in the Bill of Rights), or have been found under Due Process. Laws limiting these rights generally must pass strict scrutiny to be upheld as constitutional. Examples of fundamental rights not specifically listed in the Constitution include the right to marry and the right to privacy, which includes a right to contraception and the right to interstate travel” http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fundamental_right

Most rights that people enjoy and take for granted in this country, are not specified in the constitution but are legal rights and presumed to be constitutional unless challenged. same Sex marriage has been established by SCOTUS as a legal right.

Still not convinced? Let me ask this….If it’s not a right, what is it? The only possible answer is “privilege” What is a privilege? It’s something that you have to earn. Driving is a privilege. You have to study the rules and take a road test. You do not have to study and take a test to qualify for a marriage license. While both rights and privileges can be forfeited under certain circumstances-commit a crime and lose right to freedom/drive badly and lose your driving privileges-they are by no means the same thing, because the bar, for taking away a right, is set much higher. In addition, as we established above, rights emanate from the fact of being born a human. Privileges do not. We can only conclude that marriage is not a privilege and therefore is a right. When a ten your old asks if she can get married someday, her parent can say “sure” ….unless she means her girlfriend, and then, if she lives in the wrong place she will have to be told “maybe” and it will hurt

If a marriage license were a "right", it wouldn't need to be granted by the State, it would be inherent to our nature, like speech or property. Rights by definition are limitations on the State from intruding the individual's natural state of freedom. Rights are freedom from interference by other people or the state. Individuals have the right to contract as free and sovereign individuals absent government intrusion. So they can create a "marriage contract", or use whatever word they like to describe the arrangement.

A marriage license, where one is granted tax and legal advantages over non-married individuals and unique recognition, is privilege granted by the State, it isn't inherent to the natural state of man.

Property exists absent a deed or bill of sale, just as relationships like "marriage" exist outside government licenses.

Horseshit!''

Property exists absent a deed or bill of sale, just as relationships like "marriage" exist outside government licenses.

That is the myth people think is true.

So any property is not right as well as marriage? You're too nihilistic.
Marriage exists regardless of the government, it's in hearts. Imagine how many common law marriages are there in the world.

Marriage exists regardless of the government, it's in hearts. Imagine how many common law marriages are there in the world.

A relationship exists in the hearts, a marriage exists because of the law. You can terminate a relationship with a change of the heart, it takes a court to terminate a marriage.

Not for myself. Too old and tired.
But back in the day...
even back in the day couldn't handle more then one girl, to confusing but it was fun when I had a few.

I don't get any guy that would want a Harlem of women even if I was a billionaire, I couldn't handle trying to keep up with the latest drama.

No thanks

So next we’ll face this, plural marriage. I feel I want it, I feel I’m polyamorous and I want to have at least two wives. Are there some points in plural marriage that are completely unacceptable to you? Are you for or against?

Rings.jpg
I want 2 more wives. I would come home and say, "you clean, you cook dinner and you in the bedroom. But before you start bring me a beer."

So next we’ll face this, plural marriage. I feel I want it, I feel I’m polyamorous and I want to have at least two wives. Are there some points in plural marriage that are completely unacceptable to you? Are you for or against?

Rings.jpg
I want 2 more wives. I would come home and say, "you clean, you cook dinner and you in the bedroom. But before you start bring me a beer."
And this is why you will never have 2 or more wives :D

This doesn't make any sense.

Common law marriage is legally valid marriage, subject to the marriage contract laws of the states that recognize such unions.

Rings.jpg
Why stop with wives. You can have two wives and three husbands. Then the three husbands will have your two wives, who will also have four husbands.

Rings.jpg
Why stop with wives. You can have two wives and three husbands. Then the three husbands will have your two wives, who will also have four husbands.
You are ruining my fantasy! :)

I have a hard enough time supporting one wife - why would I want to support polygamy?

I have a hard enough time supporting one wife - why would I want to support polygamy?
If you plan to change your confession and become Mormon, for example.
Or if you're bored of having one wife. It'll start, no doubts, the society is always full of filthy desires, and if lawmakers would squesk something about the legalization of the plural marriage, about a half of the population would support it. The only question is when it'll start...

Forum List

Back