Do you find this funny?

Orangecat

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
For years now, Hollywood has produced content that implies it's funny for men to be kicked in their genitalia.
The examples are legion.
Maybe I'm weird, but I just don't find this to be funny.
Nor would I find it funny to see women kicked in the vagina or punched in the breasts.
Anyone have any theories as to why this is considered funny by so many producers of entertainment?

For years now, Hollywood has produced content that implies it's funny for men to be kicked in their genitalia.
The examples are legion.
Nor would I find it funny to see women kicked in the vagina or punched in the breasts.
Anyone have any theories as to why this is considered funny by so many producers of entertainment?
Well, it's only funny when it happens to someone else.
Wasn't that the appeal of 'Jackass'? Watching other people get hurt?
But no, I don't know why that's funny - it just is.
Maybe I'M weird.

The examples are legion.
No, I don't find it funny either and that's not weird of either of us.

There are a lot of other comedy routines too that I don't think are funny.

So I'm wondering if most people feel the same way we feel. I suspect much of it is nervous laughter that passes as the perception of bing 'funny'?

Is there a perception of the 'under dog' getting some comeuppance on the victim?

Well, it's only funny when it happens to someone else.
Wasn't that the appeal of 'Jackass'? Watching other people get hurt?
But no, I don't know why that's funny - it just is.
Maybe I'M weird.
The thing is, I don't mind seeing it in a fight scene.
It's a realistic technique for temporarily disabling a male opponent.
I never understood the appeal of the Jackass series as well, though.

The examples are legion.
I don’t recall laughing at that unless I see it happening to a bad guy. Even then I have an involuntary reaction of grunting and pulling back.

Is there a perception of the 'under dog' getting some comeuppance on the victim?
Not to sound paranoid, but part of me thinks it's a subtle anti-patriarchy statement.
You know, "let the guy get kicked in the balls as humor, because men are inherently oppressors" or some other such nonsense.

Not necessarily kicked, but getting hit in the gonads by something is 3/4 of America's Funniest home videos.
True, but that's accidental, not written into a script by someone. I can see those, and have a cringe-laugh, in a sort of "damn, that would hurt" kind of way.

Forum List

Back