Do you feed your pet Grain Free Food?

the problem with a vegetarian diet is the lagoons. Lagoons such as beans and peanuts are unhealthy. Look up the Paleo Diet to verify. You need protein. Nuts are good for you but the ones in the stores are unhealthy because they are cooked in peanut oil. Peanuts are linked to allergies in numerous studies. Allergies cause immune system deficiency which causes infection and viruses to get the upper hand. NO bread, NO dairy, NO gluten, ONlY water. That means fruits, nuts, veggies, and meats. This a high protein diet. Health programs like cross fit and p90x both follow the paleo diet.

Legumes. They are called 'legumes'. Dogs are not meant to eat a diet of legumes, most definitely.

the problem with a vegetarian diet is the lagoons. Lagoons such as beans and peanuts are unhealthy. Look up the Paleo Diet to verify. You need protein. Nuts are good for you but the ones in the stores are unhealthy because they are cooked in peanut oil. Peanuts are linked to allergies in numerous studies. Allergies cause immune system deficiency which causes infection and viruses to get the upper hand. NO bread, NO dairy, NO gluten, ONlY water. That means fruits, nuts, veggies, and meats. This a high protein diet. Health programs like cross fit and p90x both follow the paleo diet.

Legumes. They are called 'legumes'. Dogs are not meant to eat a diet of legumes, most definitely.

Finally, I have wondered how to spell it. I am GrbG.

Grain based and vegetarian are not equivalent.

Okay, but vegetarians and vegans do eat grains. And I was responding to whether or not dogs are carnivores. They are apparently not if they can thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet, including grains.

Dogs are most definitely carnivores, despite human efforts to make them something else.

Myths About Raw: Are dogs omnivores?

Okay, gallantwarrior, explain dogs living into their 20s on a vegetarian diet.

Dogs are classified in the order Carnivora, but, unlike cats (a topic for another day) they have evolved biologically as omnivores, meaning their systems can derive nutrients from a wide variety of sources, including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes and animal products.

Vegan diet for dogs: A question of thriving vs. surviving - CNN.com

Feeding a Vegitarian Diet - Whole Dog Journal Article

I'm just arguing for the sake of debate. My dogs get plenty of meat in their diet. But it's obvious to me the way they love...carrots...for example, that they are not strict carnivores. I can be in the kitchen and say quietly, "I wonder if anyone wants a carrot?" and they come running from all corners of the house. : )

Last edited:
You ever notice how weak and sick vegans look. You need meat man, you need meat.

No, actually, I haven't noticed that, LoudMcCloud. I have a sister-in-law who is a vegan and she looks perfectly healthy. Nice and trim, good skin tone, lots of energy, doesn't get sick all the time.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the dogs that have managed to live into their late teens and even 20s on a vegetarian or vegan diet...

If they were truly carnivores they wouldn't thrive so well on a meatless diet.

Mind you, my dogs get plenty of meat, but I find it difficult to criticize people who put dogs on vegan diets when they can live into their 20s on it.

Cats, no. Cats are obligatory carnivores. They need meat to be healthy.

Okay, but vegetarians and vegans do eat grains. And I was responding to whether or not dogs are carnivores. They are apparently not if they can thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet, including grains.

Dogs are most definitely carnivores, despite human efforts to make them something else.

Myths About Raw: Are dogs omnivores?

Okay, gallantwarrior, explain dogs living into their 20s on a vegetarian diet.

Dogs are classified in the order Carnivora, but, unlike cats (a topic for another day) they have evolved biologically as omnivores, meaning their systems can derive nutrients from a wide variety of sources, including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes and animal products.

Vegan diet for dogs: A question of thriving vs. surviving - CNN.com

Feeding a Vegitarian Diet - Whole Dog Journal Article

I'm just arguing for the sake of debate. My dogs get plenty of meat in their diet. But it's obvious to me the way they love...carrots...for example, that they are not strict carnivores. I can be in the kitchen and say quietly, "I wonder if anyone wants a carrot?" and they come running from all corners of the house. : )

Dogs eat shit. Who cares how long they live eating shit. That's actually probably a more natural food source than a strictly vegetarian diet for dogs. Dogs eat rotting things and whatever else they can find.

I was wondering how many people in this forum feed there pet a grain free diet? I feed my puppy, Fancy, Taste of the Wild.

"Fancy" The Chihuahua: What is the best of dog food?

Fancy is 4 months old and eating 3 handfuls of food per day. Oh, she is 8 lbs.

Be cautious. Some breeds have a tendency to become overweight. My vet is always pleased that my 14-yr-old mini-doxie is to trim and fit. But she watches her diet well. She's always been a "self-feeder" and my experience is, if left to their own devices, most animals will not over-eat.

I was wondering how many people in this forum feed there pet a grain free diet? I feed my puppy, Fancy, Taste of the Wild.

"Fancy" The Chihuahua: What is the best of dog food?

Be cautious. Some breeds have a tendency to become overweight. My vet is always pleased that my 14-yr-old mini-doxie is to trim and fit. But she watches her diet well. She's always been a "self-feeder" and my experience is, if left to their own devices, most animals will not over-eat.

This is a grain free diet. She isnt eating any thing fatty. She will have insane muscle definition. Just follow my Fancy the Chihuahua Blog and you will see her progress.

This is a grain free diet. She isnt eating any thing fatty. She will have insane muscle definition. Just follow my Fancy the Chihuahua Blog and you will see her progress.

That's good. While dogs may need some vegetation in their diets, they should not be fed a diet exclusive of meat protein. That is not natural and their digestive systems are not set up to eat only vegetables, especially raw vegetables. Did you know that dogs in the wild will eat the stomach contents of their prey? Partially digested vegetable matter? That's how they are able to handle plant materials in their diet.

Raw veggies? I knew a gal who fed her pooch a "special" diet (grain free) but she cooked everything, meat and veggies. No raw stuff at all.
I currently have one dog who eats cat food. That's what she likes. She gets treats and small snacks (the land lord feeds dogs table scraps, a practice strictly forbidden at my house) but she doesn't like dog food. That's a difference between dogs and cats, by-the-way, a dog does well enough on a cat-food based diet, but cats eating dog food as a regular part of their diet develop all kinds of problems. Taurine, for instance, is an important element that cats must have included in their diets that dogs do not need supplemented.
My other dog lives with the goats and gets high-quality kibble. She supplements her diet by eating goat chow, both pre- and post-processed. She does get chewies and biscuits but we don't feed her scraps or raw meat.

Although canines have teeth for tearing meat, they have been omnivores from time unknown when domesticated. They NEED a balanced diet of meat, grains, fruits, and vegetables. I've tried a lot over the years and find Beneful for my big dog and Nutro Ultra excellent for my Chihuahua.

Also, it never hurts to feed them a LITTLE bit of dinner scraps.

gallantwarrior, I think the point I'm trying to make is that if some dogs, any dog, can live well into their 20s on a vegetarian diet, it can't be that bad for them. In fact, it sounds like it might be kind of good for them.

Read my links, they explain it better than I can.

Although canines have teeth for tearing meat, they have been omnivores from time unknown when domesticated. They NEED a balanced diet of meat, grains, fruits, and vegetables. I've tried a lot over the years and find Beneful for my big dog and Nutro Ultra excellent for my Chihuahua.

And it depends what the dinner scraps are. For example, if it's boneless, skinless chicken breast, or piece of steak, etc. what harm does it do?

One of my dogs LOVES cooked spaghetti noodles, just plain. She goes crazy for them. She only gets a few of them once every two-three months. No harm there.

No onions, excessive fat, spicy sauces, that sort of thing, though!

And it depends what the dinner scraps are. For example, if it's boneless, skinless chicken breast, or piece of steak, etc. what harm does it do?

One of my dogs LOVES cooked spaghetti noodles, just plain. She goes crazy for them. She only gets a few of them once every two-three months. No harm there.

No onions, excessive fat, spicy sauces, that sort of thing, though!

Onions, raisins, and chocolate should be off any dog (or cat) diet.

Whether it is good for them, or not...how about considering what they might prefer? Is it any crime to provide foods that dogs like, as long as done so in moderation?

Okay, you got a big grin out of me that time!

Why do you think my dogs aren't vegetarians? : ) I bake pans of boneless, skinless chicken breast for them, which is added to their food and also used as treats or pill chasers if needed. They get bully sticks to chew on. And their dry food is Canine Caviar Lamb and Pearl Millet. Lamb is the first ingredient. They also get other bits of meat and the homemade moist food I give them contains chicken, cottage cheese, boiled hamburger and scrambled egg (with brown rice).

I think you hit the nail on the head. They may not be obligatory carnivores like cats are, but dogs LOVE meat. I'm not about to deprive them of it. : )

Forum List

Back