Do we need to fear God?

I fear displeasing, disappointing and betraying his direction. It is important to me to follow his guidance, commandments and remain a reliable servant. Eliminating anger and other personality vices isn't easy, but it is demanded. Yes, fear God, but also earn his love, don't take it for granted.

Fear and love are antithetical

If someone who claims they love you inspires fear in you then there is no love in that relationship.

Fear and love are antithetical

If someone who claims they love you inspires fear in you then there is no love in that relationship.
A relationship with the Lord is different than with a wife though. There is a.clear power dynamic. We are to obey in order to be rewarded. We will be tested and judged. The fear.of fai!ing this judgement is palpable if you believe ihis words.

a relationship with the Lord is different than with a.wife though. There is a.clear power dynamic. We are to obey in order to be rewarded. We will be tested and judged. The fear.of fai!ing this.judgement is palpable if you believe.
There is no relationship a mortal can have with a deity because of the power differential.

And yes religion is based on fear and greed as you say

Even IF it was simply awe. It still requires submission to that god.
The difference between some atheists and people of great faith, is what is seen as being beaten into submission by one side is seen as joyful agreement by the other.

God is goodness and love, and the agreement is to put nothing higher than goodness and love. It is agreed to keep one day not only for rest, but for holiness. Or vice-versa. And so on through the Commandments. People of great faith strive for the ideal--and "good enough" never is.

You do not understand the Old Testament at all. It is a very complex collection throughout time of the Hebrew faith which changed with whoever was dominating the region at the time. Modern day Christianity has it's basis in no less than 14 religions, it is a composite religion. Begining with the Zoroastrians
What we see throughout history are people grappling at trying to know and understand not only God but His principles. For example, perfect love--not to get it confused with "smother love". Perfect justice: That which is not cruel, but is a stiff discipline. Goodness: Not that which is soft and weak, but something of great strength. There are differences is those fourteen religions, but there are also the similarities. People are the same, as well. There are those who are attracted to God, and those who are not.

But you do have the right to believe it if you want as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on others.
Who, in the United States, has tried to force belief on anyone? I am betting someone(s) may have tried to convince you, but that is quite different from someone forcing you.

Did you think that us having this discussion is trying to force you to believe? I would never try to force anyone. Not only would that be wrong, but it doesn't even work that way anyway.

But it's not a myth. I wouldn't believe something if I didn't have valid, compelling reasons to believe. And there are.

There are plenty of myths... but ironically, the myths are many of the things those of us who went to public school were taught as truth. :)

I gotta go, so I'll leave it at that.
You stated your belief as if it were fact instead of as your belief. Then you went on to ridicule an opposing view. That's not discussion, that's argumentation. Fortunately myths aren't taught in public schools anymore. It would be impossible and not advantageous to teach them all, there are over 100 world mythologies. It is believed they have all evolved from a single one, a very ancient root one that doesn't exist anymore. As far as the Christian mythology goes it is quite similar to the Zoroastrians and one of the earliest Greek ones, which it is probably based on.

Nope. People in general are NOT trying to win God's approval. They have no interest
Little interest might have been better words to use. There is what looks like a " last hurrah " attempt going on at this time in history

Ecclesiastes 12:13​

King James Version​

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Read full chapter
Ecclesiastes 12:13 in all English translations

Mortimer , It doesn't mean to be scared of God but to fear His wrath and anger if you don't obey the Commandments.
He's called father because, like a good father, he sets rules of the house. Breal the rules and punishment is a comin'. You knew you fucked up and the ol man whips your ass, yet you still love him and vice-versa.

Forum List

Back