Zone1 Do Christians Proselytize out of “Love” - or Arrogance?

Yup. They want it both ways. The Messiah is supposed to be descended from David on his father’s side, and yet Jesus sipposedly had no earthly father.
Joseph is clearly pointed out as descendant of David in both genealogies. On the other hand, New Testament sources are silent about Mary's descendance from David. However, through her marriage with Joseph she enters his family and legally becomes, she and her son Jesus, a part of the House of David.

Joseph is clearly pointed out as descendant of David in both genealogies. On the other hand, New Testament sources are silent about Mary's descendance from David. However, through her marriage with Joseph she enters his family and legally becomes, she and her son Jesus, a part of the House of David.

Nope. Not the way it works. If Ko is not the biological father, his lineage does not count.

Nope. Not the way it works. If Ko is not the biological father, his lineage does not count.
an interesting factoid---persons for whom the paternal line is
unclear-----ie in cases of ---uhm conception on the left side
of the bed-----are named as if they are the progeny of the mother's
father. I heard that somewhere ???? What was the name of Mary's
father?

Hi Lisa...I know I’m replying to this a few days late. (I was actually planning to take a long break from this site, but I wanted to stick to what I said about replying to you, so here I am.)

It’s very unfortunate that you had that bad experience with people who call themselves Christians. Jesus said that the second most important commandment (second only to loving God) is “'Love your neighbour as yourself.” And as I mentioned in my earlier post, the New Testament also says to do everything in love.

In fact, Jesus taught that it’s not enough to love only our friends or those in our own circles…He taught that we should love even our enemies.

So if the people you had that experience with were not loving or gentle or kind, then they were just acting from their own human nature… but going against one of the most important commands.

Of course. Btw this reminds of one of my favorite passages in the Bible, I hope you don’t mind if I share it here, because I think it perfectly applies to the problem with the people you encountered:

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.​
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.​
1 Corinthians 13:1-7​

Well, actually, I was talking about Jesus when I said that it wasn’t arrogant when He said that, if it is the truth. But I fully understand that it might seem arrogant to others, as it almost certainly did to the people of that day who didn’t believe Him.

But in terms of Christians saying that (basically quoting John 14:6), I would say it comes down to a person’s motive or intention. If their intention is bad, for example if their intention is to insult other people’s religious beliefs or if they just want to be combative and argumentative… In that case I would say yes, it is spoken from arrogance. But on the other hand, I think if a person sincerely believes that with all their heart and simply wants to share with others what they believe, I don't think that it is arrogant to simply state what Jesus Himself said… Again, as long as it isn’t stated with the wrong motive, or in a rude, unloving way.

I don't agree that it's about claiming to be the arbiter of all truth, rather sharing with others what one firmly believes to be the truth.

This is why personal testimonies are so powerful. When a person shares how their life has radically changed upon accepting Jesus, the thing about personal testimonies is no one can really argue with it. Of course one can choose to disbelieve it, but when a person is speaking about what truly happened in their life, it is a powerful thing, and that is why the Bible says to share one’s testimony, and it even says that many people come to Christ due to personal testimonies.

I think it is up to each individual - to everyone - to seek the truth wholeheartedly, and to use wisdom and discernment in determining what is true and what isn’t. :dunno: People can examine different worldviews, different beliefs, and weigh the evidence... and of course put truth first, above all else, no matter where it leads.

Again, I don't think it's arrogant when a person says what they believe if it is what they sincerely believe, not to put anyone down or to be combative, but if their goal to share something that they firmly believe is true, and that changed their life. As a born-again Christian, that is why I try to reach others. Coming to Christ completely changed my life, in just about every way. As a very non-religious person, if someone would've told me 25 years ago that one day I would be a Christian AND someone who has done world missions work... I would've laughed at them and said no way, you're crazy. I never in a million years thought I would one day become a practicing Christian, yet here I am. Life sometimes takes turns that we don't expect.

But getting back to the point about sharing views.... The reality is, people do this all the time, with all sorts of different things. With politics, social causes (like the abortion debate), with different ideas, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with the exchange of ideas, with trying to get people to see things a different way…. again, assuming it is done respectfully, not in a mean-spirited or aggressive way.

For example, I've been a vegan for 6 years. And that's another message that I share with whoever will listen. I realize a lot of people hate vegans because they think some are pushy and evangelistic, always trying to get everyone to go vegan. In fact I used to be one of those people who argued with vegans and didn't like what they were saying… Until I finally saw some undeniable truths that radically shifted my mindset, almost overnight. And then at that point I was like “Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?” lol.

So people are always exchanging ideas and beliefs, on a variety of different topics. If one has a message that they feel is important, then there's nothing wrong with sharing that message, again, as long as it's done in the right way, and respecting others' right to be left alone, if they don't want to hear it.

While it's true that Jews know from an early age that Christians believe Jesus is God’s son… there are some things that Jewish people may not be aware of.

The reason I say that is because I've watched tons and tons of video testimonies of Messianic Jews… Jewish believers in Jesus. And many of them say the same thing, they say no one ever told me that!

I think there are a few reasons for that… but without getting into all that, I’ll just say that based on the numerous testimonies I've heard of Messianic Jews, there were certain things about Jesus / Christianity that they didn't realize… that they hadn’t heard from their rabbi, or their Jewish community.

I want to share this video testimony below, because in response to what you said about Jewish people already knowing about Jesus.... this is an example of someone who had heard of Jesus of course, but hadn't heard some passages from the New Testament....and one of them (which you will see in this testimony, if you watch it) moved her profoundly, and she had a revelation, which was one of the things that led to her changing her mind and coming to Christ.

I hope you watch it, even if you disagree, it's a beautiful testimony.

Thank you, Buttercup, for your thoughtful and respectful response.

There is a big difference in how you approached this subject with me, and those of the arrogant, disrespectful Christians - some of whom are represented on this thread. It is the word “believe.” You, in using this word about your beliefs allow me the respect I deserve by acknowledging that my beliefs are different.

If you look through this thread, you will see the ADCs (arrogant, disrespectful Christians) continue to hammer away that what they believe isn’t a belief: it is the TRUTH! When I have responded that it is a matter of what they believe to be the truth, and I believe something different, they come back with “proof” - that proof being what Jesus said - and then claiming once again, that these are FACTS.

Some of them, when faced with a Jew who simply will not agree, become belligerent and insulting. Was it necessary, for example, for that ADC to tell me he finds my religion contemptible, and then proceeded with lies about what we teach? All that does is leave non-Jews wih a very negative view of Christians, as if we haven’t been mistreated enough over the millennia.

Finally, regarding your comment about the Jews who believe in Jesus, you should know that Jews do not consider them Jewish. Sure, they are technically Jewish having been borne of a Jewish woman, but for all intents and purposes they have abandoned THE key tenant of Judaism.

In fact, the entire Jews for Jesus movement, which has captured only a small percentage of Jews, was formed as a strategy by Christians who couldn’t make inroads with conversion. They figured if they told Jews they could believe in Jesus and STILL be Jewish, which of course is a manipulation, they could win over more. But these are no longer Jews who abide by the very core of the Jewish faith.

Anyway, you’ve been nice in addressing me, and, since Jesus was teaching the Jewish values of kindness and respect, you have demonstrated that you follow Jesus’ Jewish value system. I do appreciate it.

an interesting factoid---persons for whom the paternal line is
unclear-----ie in cases of ---uhm conception on the left side
of the bed-----are named as if they are the progeny of the mother's
father. I heard that somewhere ???? What was the name of Mary's
father?

Wasn't Jesus considered a Mamzer?

Weren’t his parents married?
Even if his parents were not married---yet---- he was not a "mamzer" unless his mother got pregnant thru
adultery------ie married to Joseph and screwed by
the milk-man. There is no evidence that anyone suggested that little mary committed adultery. HOWEVER ----you know who had USED this idea
as a libel-----ie---DA JOOO SAID JESUS WAS A MAMZER lets kill him

JESUS WAS A MAMZER
Actually, early Apostles and Christians noted this. Joseph was the intended husband and had not yet had relations with her when she became pregnant. He decided to quietly divorce her but changed his mind when an Angel came to him in a dream. He was also known as Mary's son. Christians believe he is the son of God.

Actually, early Apostles and Christians noted this. Joseph was the intended husband and had not yet had relations with her when she became pregnant. He decided to quietly divorce her but changed his mind when an Angel came to him in a dream. He was also known as Mary's son. Christians believe he is the son of God.
nice story. That some writer of a Gospel threw that angel idea into the mix decades and centuries later is nice but not entirely convincing.

nice story. That some writer of a Gospel threw that angel idea into the mix decades and centuries later is nice but not entirely convincing.
There is a difference between simply relating the account and convincing someone of the account. I stick with the former, having no interest in the latter.

Even if his parents were not married---yet---- he was not a "mamzer" unless his mother got pregnant thru
adultery------ie married to Joseph and screwed by
the milk-man. There is no evidence that anyone suggested that little mary committed adultery. HOWEVER ----you know who had USED this idea
as a libel-----ie---DA JOOO SAID JESUS WAS A MAMZER lets kill him
Is that what a mamzer is? I never knew.

But yeah, I see your point….just another thing to blame the Jews for.

The thing is….and just between us…..if Jesus really was the product of an immaculate conception, wouldn’t people have followed the tyke’s every move from birth forward? It seems that nobody knows his whereabouts until he was around 30 (although there was an appearance at age 13 for his Bar Mitzvah.) Something doesn’t pass the smell test.

Does someone want to explain this to me?

The thing is….and just between us…..if Jesus really was the product of an immaculate conception, wouldn’t people have followed the tyke’s every move from birth forward? It seems that nobody knows his whereabouts until he was around 30 (although there was an appearance at age 13 for his Bar Mitzvah.) Something doesn’t pass the smell test.

Does someone want to explain this to me?
just think legend &/or religious belief. I don't recall his bar mitzvah. Anyway---the conception of the conception may have been a family secret. Who can you tell-----the local Yenta?

Forum List

Back