Zone1 Do Christians Proselytize out of “Love” - or Arrogance?

the VERY annoying habit of many christian
proselytizers involves concerted attempts to
influence children. There are even comic book
style pamphlets targeted at jewish kids. IMO
it is crude
Just barely apropos, I remember when a friend of mine talked me into going to her "church" with her -- Scientology -- and she also brought along her adolescent brother and a friend of his. I resisted the pressure to take their "personality test", but the two boys succumbed, in separate rooms. The people who "tested" them lied to them both, telling each that the other had made the decision to join the "church".

When we left and the two boys compared notes, they were so angry that they wanted to go back and do some damage.

You think I don’t know that Christians think their way is the only way to G-d? I know they think that. The Evangelicals just need to stop hounding Jews about it. PLEASE.

And think about that. Since Jews already know that (some) Christians think they, the Jews, are damned to hell if they don’t abandon their religion, what’s the point telling them? Do you think Jews are oblivious to that opinion?

I remember as a young teen, my parents had a fundamentalist Christian couple over for dinner, and the wife told my mother that it bothers her knowing Mom is doomed since she doesn’t accept Jesus. My mom said, nicely, ”I appreciate your concern, but I believe I’ll be fine,“ and…..here’s the important part: the Christian woman dropped it.

So that’s it. Say it once if you have to, and then stop. The neighbors who had hounded me for years were so bad that I dreaded running into them. EVERY conversation was about how they were right, and I was wrong. Enough is enough.

Okay so what I believe is happening is that you are dumping all these past unfortunate experiences on me. But I am not all Evangelical Christians. I'm just me. That's first.

Second, if anyone thinks it's rude to tell people their religion is wrong, then they should not tell others their religion is wrong. That's not my standard; it is yours.

Lastly, we still completely agree on pestering people, following them around, etc. No one should dread seeing a Christian because that Christian has bugged them so much. That's....not a great way to share the news. It's actually a terrible way to do it.

And one more lastly: I don't have any problem with Jews, as a previous poster tried to imply. I will grant there are florid anti-Semites on this board, but I'm not one.

Just barely apropos, I remember when a friend of mine talked me into going to her "church" with her -- Scientology -- and she also brought along her adolescent brother and a friend of his. I resisted the pressure to take their "personality test", but the two boys succumbed, in separate rooms. The people who "tested" them lied to them both, telling each that the other had made the decision to join the "church".

When we left and the two boys compared notes, they were so angry that they wanted to go back and do some damage.

Scientology is legit a cult. I do not use that term lightly. But it qualifies.

Okay so what I believe is happening is that you are dumping all these past unfortunate experiences on me. But I am not all Evangelical Christians. I'm just me. That's first.

Second, if anyone thinks it's rude to tell people their religion is wrong, then they should not tell others their religion is wrong. That's not my standard; it is yours.

Lastly, we still completely agree on pestering people, following them around, etc. No one should dread seeing a Christian because that Christian has bugged them so much. That's....not a great way to share the news. It's actually a terrible way to do it.

And one more lastly: I don't have any problem with Jews, as a previous poster tried to imply. I will grant there are florid anti-Semites on this board, but I'm not one.
I don't recall anyone accusing you of anything,
SS92----other than just NOT KNOWING. You
do not end up in HELL for NOT KNOWING

Well, everyone knows that the leader of Christianity was a very aggressive guy. He was so bad that they eventually decided to crucify him. It just made things worse. He multiplied himself like crazy. Go figure.

Well, everyone knows that the leader of Christianity was a very aggressive guy. He was so bad that they eventually decided to crucify him. It just made things worse. He multiplied himself like crazy. Go figure.
he MULTIPLIED TOO? no end to miracles ----
I thought he just multiplied fish? BTW ---
( I often question pronouns) who is "they"
In what way "aggressive"?

First, yes….I’ve had some nasty run-ins with ECs who wouldn’t take no for an answer. But you yourself have been snarky, accusing me of “being bothered that Christianity exists.” That‘s ironic, because it’s existence is irrelevant to me, except when ECs start to hound me.

It‘s more apparent that it’s the reverse: that ECs are bothered that Judaism exists. Why else would they be trying to destroy it by converting as many Jews as possible away from their religion?

When someone on a message board starts telling me that Jews are wrong, and uses as “proof” some verses from the New Testament which means nothing to Jews, I don’t have to be quiet and take it, although obviously that’s what ECs want. I give it back and tell them they are just as likely to be wrong - which infuriates them.

But what I’m focused on is IRL, where ECs approach people of different religions and tell them that Christianity is the only right religion, and how they will burn in hell. Jews don’t do that type of things to Christians! As I said, there’s nothing in services or class that even mentions Christians, or Jesus. But woah…..some of what Christians are saying in their services about Jews, yikes. Not nice.

I’m glad we agree on that at least. But what “news” are you talking about sharing? That Jesus is the only way to the Father? We’ve ALL heard that before. You’re not telling us anything new, so it doesn’t accomplish anything - other than to let us know how much you disapprove of Jewish beliefs.
Except…..do you not think Jews will be punished by being sent to hell? What’s so awful about Jews that we would deserve such an awful thing. I’d say anyone who thinks that obviously thinks there‘s something about Jews that‘s so bad they warrant such a fate.

Last edited:
he MULTIPLIED TOO? no end to miracles ----
I thought he just multiplied fish? BTW ---
( I often question pronouns) who is "they"
In what way "aggressive"?
Yes, the disciples performed miracles and miracles still happen. Ask any doctor. Aggressive in the sense of not following orders when told what to do by Christian haters.

Yes, the disciples performed miracles and miracles still happen. Ask any doctor. Aggressive in the sense of not following orders when told what to do by Christian haters.
Jesus was told what not to do by "christian
haters"??? ------you should reread the book.
I missed those disciple miracles----did they
walk on water too?

Jesus was told what not to do by "christian
haters"??? ------you should reread the book.
I missed those disciple miracles----did they
walk on water too?
Yes, Peter walked on water. I guess you really didn't read the book, huh. You also obviously haven't read the Gospels and the book of Acts. You should take your nap now. You're embarrassing yourself.

Yes, Peter walked on water. I guess you really didn't read the book, huh. You also obviously haven't read the Gospels and the book of Acts. You should take your nap now. You're embarrassing yourself.
yes----right ----according to MATTHEW----
reread Matthew---he rarely makes sense.
He resorts to MYSTICS ----furthermore the
writings attributed to that Roman shill-----
are just attribution----the actual author is
unknown. Check your sources

yes----right ----according to MATTHEW----
reread Matthew---he rarely makes sense.
He resorts to MYSTICS ----furthermore the
writings attributed to that Roman shill-----
are just attribution----the actual author is
unknown. Check your sources
You're mentally ill.

First, yes….I’ve had some nasty run-ins with ECs who wouldn’t take no for an answer. But you yourself have been snarky, accusing me of “being bothered that Christianity exists.” That‘s ironic, because it’s existence is irrelevant to me, except when ECs start to hound me.

It‘s more apparent that it’s the reverse: that ECs are bothered that Judaism exists. Why else would they be trying to destroy it by converting as many Jews as possible away from their religion?

When someone on a message board starts telling me that Jews are wrong, and uses as “proof” some verses from the New Testament which means nothing to Jews, I don’t have to be quiet and take it, although obviously that’s what ECs want. I give it back and tell them they are just as likely to be wrong - which infuriates them.

But what I’m focused on is IRL, where ECs approach people of different religions and tell them that Christianity is the only right religion, and how they will burn in hell. Jews don’t do that type of things to Christians! As I said, there’s nothing in services or class that even mentions Christians, or Jesus. But woah…..some of what Christians are saying in their services about Jews, yikes. Not nice.

I’m glad we agree on that at least. But what “news” are you talking about sharing? That Jesus is the only way to the Father? We’ve ALL heard that before. You’re not telling us anything new, so it doesn’t accomplish anything - other than to let us know how much you disapprove of Jewish beliefs.

Except…..do you not think Jews will be punished by being sent to hell? What’s so awful about Jews that we would deserve such an awful thing. I’d say anyone who thinks that obviously thinks there‘s something about Jews that‘s so bad they warrant such a fate.

I can't keep shadow boxing every single thing that you find wrong with Evangelical Christians here. It's a dump of stuff--and I'm guessing you would hate it if any poster started listing every bad run in, every offense they've ever had with a Jew right on down. "Jews do this, Jews do this, yadda yadda". Usually, those people are frankly anti-Semitic. That's what I would call it.

Disappointing. I found you a rational and informed poster.

You're mentally ill.
I am mentally ill because YOU believe that during the life-time of Jesus ---"christian haters
told him what to do"???? and because I question a writing attributed to a Roman shill but which was authored by an unknown person??. And then included in Constantine's ---emperor or ROME--book? Do you always just swallow every writing WHOLE?
Can you name one of those christian haters
who told Jesus WHAT TO DO? Did the christian
haters tell him to attack the money changers in
the Temple Court Yard JUST BECAUSE THE PHARISEES HATED THEM?

Forum List

Back