Do cars made for the general public really need to go so fast?

This reminds me of anti-gun folks asking why I "need" a gun. It is no ones business and need has nothing to do with it. If I WANT a vehicle that goes 800 mph, that is my right--just like owning a jet airplane. It is a free country. I think some whack job democrats tried to limit production cars to 85 mph back in the 80s and it didn't go over well. Just because a car is capable of exceeding posted limits does not give the operator a right to exceed them--there are laws and penalties that address that eventuality. This is America and it is supposed to be FREE.

There is a difference between RIGHTS and PRIVILEGES
Driving is not a RIGHT
I have said that repeatedly

And if you were in touch, you would CLEARLY see I am not against the 2A

Do you feel compelled to control every aspect of everyone's life? Or just driving?

I'm compelled to see imbeciles who risk the lives of others for their "fun" stopped from doing so.
Why do you have a problem with this?

Are you also all for no bail-no jail releasing of violent criminals?

I understand the arguments against more government control.
I'm also against it.

I'm just sick of the entitled, reckless attitude of so many who ignore the law for either their own personal gain, vengeance, hatred or fun.
You're not?

I'm tired of the crowds of savages piling into stores and looting them.
Tired of street races thinking of no one but their own fun.
Tired of the road rage and people using their cars as weapons against others.
Drug abuse is off the carts. Many impaired people are on the roads.

American society is in the decline, can anyone argue that that is incorrect?

Along with that decline comes the propensity for people to be impaired or uncaring towards their fellow man.

More People ARE driving more recklessly. If only for the fact there are more people. Especially ore people here illegally. Cars with far too much power for the task at hand only make the problem worse.
If....... (HUGE IF) the trend was toward people caring more for their fellow man and becoming more responsible then this thread would not have been created. Can ANYONE argue that is the case?

If not then what will be the end result of open borders, lawlessness and reckless drivers with 150mph plus vehicles in their possession?
Do you not care? Do you not think it's a growing problem for all?

I'm all for freedom. But freedom comes with a cost and the absolute necessity for a strong connection to personal responsibility.
And that is the problem today.

Last edited:
Yanno......................one of the ways to make a car go a lot faster is to make it lighter. Take the same HP engine, but put it in a lighter body, and you will have a car that is faster. The problem isn't having cars with too much HP, as many tasks for the average car require them to have that much HP, the trouble is the people who violate the laws with those vehicles.

And yeah, while it can be a bit of a problem, it doesn't really seem to be the rule. And, if cops see someone being stupid on the road, they generally stop them and charge them heavily. That's about all they really can do.

Reducing the HP of vehicles to make them "safer" is a non starter, as while it may make them safer (but only for a bit, as many people will modify them for more power), it will also reduce their effective use. Think that's not the case? Try pulling a 2,000 lb or more trailer with a Honda Civic. Not only will you burn out your transmission, but you will also severely damage your engine as well.

And...............2,000 lbs for a trailer is average size. Most of the light ones start out at around 1,200 lbs, and that's for the small camper pop ups that can only hold 2 to 3 people.

There is a difference between RIGHTS and PRIVILEGES
Driving is not a RIGHT
I have said that repeatedly

And if you were in touch, you would CLEARLY see I am not against the 2A
You are correct. Driving IS a privilege. Owning a vehicle is not. I know a few people who own tanks. No law against that. There is also no law against owning "experimental" aircraft. Driving them legally on the roads is where the "privilege" comes in. A licensed driver can drive any vehicle that he is licensed for on the road as long as it meets safety and smog requirements (depending on the state). I have never seen a law that restricts HP. Speed laws exist, but that doesn't preclude me from owning and using a vehicle that is "capable" of exceeding posted limits.

Corvettes (190mph)
Mustang 5.0 (175mph)
1000HP street cars (200mph+)
Teslas (Plaid...9.2 1/4 mile) (175mph)
And there is a plethora of BMW, Ford, GM, Lexus, Nissan etc cars that can easily top 150mph.

WHY ?????

If you really think about it, if our politicians were really concerned about public safety then why allow cars that can exceed posted speed limits by 2x or even 3x ?
Isn't that doing nothing more than putting everyone else at risk?

Can anyone justify why ANY regular passenger vehicle operated on public roads NEEDS to be capable of exceeding the posted speed limits by so much?
Limiting vehicles maximum top speed to say, 10 mph over the posted speed limit (for passing only) would likelt save millions of lives over time. Disagree? WHY?

Police chases often see violent perps in getaway vehicles weaving and bobbing recklessly in and out of traffic at speeds often exceeding 100mph.
Why not limit vehicles to 10mph over the posted speed limits?

Does anyone have a legitimate argument against limiting non-emergency vehicles in this manner?
Is it really your "Right" to be able to exceed the posted speed limit by dangerous amounts?
Driving is not a Right, it is a privilege. As such, no one has the right to put others in danger due to their recklessness.
Your desire to have "Fun" should not ever supersede the safety of everyone else for a privilege. EVER.
I see idiots barrelling down neighborhood streets at 50, 60 and sometimes 70 or more in posted 30MPH zones. WTF ??
What if children are playing?
The Number ONE cause of traffic injuries and death is excessive speed.
I'm sick of imbeciles and their ability to put everyone else at risk over something that could easily be fixed.

Imagine how much safer we ALL would be if idiots were not able to go 100, 150, 200+ on PUBLIC roads and highways or run from the Police.
What possible reasonable argument could be made against this?
This could EASILY be achieved through onboard computer chips. You could still have cars that could accelerate to posted speed limits faster than others for those whose egos need constant stroking. But there is no "need" to go faster.
Then if someone is caught exceeding the posted speed limits by more than 10mph, make it LAW that the vehicle is confiscated and sold and the funds go to families of victims of speeders or to highway and road infrastructure programs.

Only first responder and emergency vehicles should be allowed to go over the speed limit.

Doesn't this just make common sense?
I suppose politicians are too busy accepting gifts from the car manufacturers to give a flying flip about sensible public safety issues.
Want to go fast? Go to the frickin race track.
An NO...this does not extend to Constitutional RIGHTS.
Born free as free as the wind blows... move to China 🇨🇳.

Born free as free as the wind blows... move to China 🇨🇳.

Styx...The Grand Illusion

Interesting....and you proved my point perfectly....thank you.
Freedom never meant you are free to do whatever you want....just because you can.
That is a very immature and irresponsible attitude.

You present the perfect example of American arrogance and ignorance......
I LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY SO I CAN DO AS I DAMN PLEASE.

It is illegal to dump trash from car windows. But people do it all the time. Should those who don't like that move to China also?
it is illegal to steal but people do it all the time. Again, don't like it move to China?

People text while driving and applying make up with your attitude. Proceed to cross intersections after their light is red with your attitude.
Millions upon millions of narcissists and growing who all feel they can do whatever they want to do.

Um, no...you can't. Try not paying your taxes and see how "free" you are.
Try making a phone call or sending a text that the federal government does not have a copy of.
This is why Police across America are having it so bad and lawlessness prevails.

You have the ILLUSION of freedom. When someone else's illusion causes them to lose control of their speeding vehicle and run head on into your car or someone you love...........get back to me on moving to China.

Last edited:
You are correct. Driving IS a privilege. Owning a vehicle is not. I know a few people who own tanks. No law against that. There is also no law against owning "experimental" aircraft. Driving them legally on the roads is where the "privilege" comes in. A licensed driver can drive any vehicle that he is licensed for on the road as long as it meets safety and smog requirements (depending on the state). I have never seen a law that restricts HP. Speed laws exist, but that doesn't preclude me from owning and using a vehicle that is "capable" of exceeding posted limits.

It's all about the growing number of irresponsible people who feel they can do whatever they want.
How many people cross the border illegally because they want to?
Don't like it? Move to China says whodatsaywhodat apparently.

That is not what freedom is all about, but what too many narcissistic people think it means.
Freedom doesn't mean you can do 150mph in a 70mph zone because you want to.
And we all know that most of the time the law will not catch them so it takes personal responsibility and mature behavior.
Unfortunately innocent people are dying because of it.

VERY lacking today in America.
It's why Americans go to other countries and land in prison because they take that misunderstanding with them.
It's why cars today will need speed limiters built right in.

Last edited:
Ok, so maybe this is the wrong approach.

Maybe we should mandate speed cameras on ALL roads and highways and issue tickets to all who disregard the speed limits
Cops can't be everywhere.....speed buster cameras can.
Surely you won't object to making sure people OBEY THE LAW will you ?

Why do I have to feeling people will come up with 9 excuses to Sunday saying why catching speeders is such a bad idea?
A litany of excuses because they love their ability to be reckless and do whatever they please.

Last edited:
I'm compelled to see imbeciles who risk the lives of others for their "fun" stopped from doing so.
Why do you have a problem with this?

Are you also all for no bail-no jail releasing of violent criminals?

I have no issue shutting down the "imbeciles," my problem is with your approach, which is reminiscent of the gun grabbers... You claim you support the Second Amendment, do advocate banning firearms because some "imbeciles" shoot up night clubs and schools? Do you advocate banning particular firearms?

You want to punish everyone who drives because of the actions of a few, the same way the gun grabbers want to punish everyone for the actions of a few...

As for your last moronic question, I won't bother to dignify it with a response.

Styx...The Grand Illusion

Interesting....and you proved my point perfectly....thank you.
Freedom never meant you are free to do whatever you want....just because you can.
That is a very immature and irresponsible attitude.

You present the perfect example of American arrogance and ignorance......
I LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY SO I CAN DO AS I DAMN PLEASE.

It is illegal to dump trash from car windows. But people do it all the time. Should those who don't like that move to China also?
it is illegal to steal but people do it all the time. Again, don't like it move to China?

People text while driving and applying make up with your attitude. Proceed to cross intersections after their light is red with your attitude.
Millions upon millions of narcissists and growing who all feel they can do whatever they want to do.

Um, no...you can't. Try not paying your taxes and see how "free" you are.
Try making a phone call or sending a text that the federal government does not have a copy of.
This is why Police across America are having it so bad and lawlessness prevails.

You have the ILLUSION of freedom. When someone else's illusion causes them to lose control of their speeding vehicle and run head on into your car or someone you love...........get back to me on moving to China.
Oh freedom means do what others tell you ... that's some freedom ..

Corvettes (190mph)
Mustang 5.0 (175mph)
And there is a plethora of BMW, Ford, GM, Lexus, Nissan etc cars that can easily top 150mph.

WHY ?????

If you really think about it, if our politicians were really concerned about public safety then why allow cars that can exceed posted speed limits by 2x or even 3x ?

Can anyone justify why ANY regular passenger vehicle operated on public roads NEEDS to be capable of exceeding the posted speed limits by so much?
Limiting vehicles maximum top speed to say, 10 mph over the posted speed limit (for passing only) would likelt save millions of lives over time. Disagree? WHY?

Police chases often see violent perps in getaway vehicles weaving and bobbing recklessly in and out of traffic at speeds often exceeding 100mph.

Does anyone have a legitimate argument against limiting non-emergency vehicles in this manner?
Is it really your "Right" to be able to exceed the posted speed limit by dangerous amounts?
Driving is not a Right, it is a privilege. As such, no one has the right to put others in danger due to their recklessness.
Your desire to have "Fun" should not ever supersede the safety of everyone else for a privilege. EVER.
I see idiots barrelling down neighborhood streets at 50, 60 and sometimes 70 or more in posted 30MPH zones. WTF ??
I'm sick of imbeciles and their ability to put everyone else at risk over something that could easily be fixed.

Imagine how much safer we ALL would be if idiots were not able to go 100, 150, 200+ on PUBLIC roads and highways or run from the Police.
This could EASILY be achieved through onboard computer chips. You could still have cars that could accelerate to posted speed limits faster than others for those whose egos need constant stroking. But there is no "need" to go faster.
Then if someone is caught exceeding the posted speed limits by more than 10mph, make it LAW that the vehicle is confiscated and sold and the funds go to families of victims of speeders or to highway and road infrastructure programs.

Only first responder and emergency vehicles should be allowed to go over the speed limit.

I suppose politicians are too busy accepting gifts from the car manufacturers to give a flying flip about sensible public safety issues.
NEED? Certainly not. At 78, I certainly did not NEED to buy a new Harley. But, I wanted to and it isn't your decision.

My guess is that you're trying to challenge Tommy Taiant for lead troll! :D

Decades ago I negotiated a speeding ticket of 104 mph on what was then the Sunshine Parkway here in Florida. He said he had been trying to catch me for half an hour. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going, "no sir" I answered. "Neither do I," said the Florida Highway Patrolman. We talked a while and I say negotiated because I knew he had to have exceeded 115 to catch me. The speed limit was 75 at the time. I didn't know it but a ticket of 30+ mph over the speed limit was a felony speeding ticket. That was in my '66 GOAT. Until a just a few years ago, I still took it out on a LONG stretch of a two-lane highway in the middle of nowhere. Had to let it breathe once in a while you know. Yes, over the years I had the engine rebuilt up to 521 hp with a number of other upgrades.

For a number of years, I raced motorcycles, enduros, motocross, hair scrambles, and the like.

In some of my misspent youth, I worked as a salvage diver in Miami. No, not gold and silver, hooking up cars to pull out of a canal, and whatever.

Did I NEED TO? For me, yes. But I guess it depends on your meaning of need. I NEEDED the adrenalin rush, still do. You? What really charges you?

Kick back in your easy chair, I think I'll go for a ride tonight.

Really%20rotfl-M.gif

Last edited:
Proof? Link?

The Top Causes of Car Accidents on the Road​

25 of the most common causes of car accidents include:

1. Distracted Driving. Distracted drivers are the top cause of car accidents in the U.S. today.
  2. Speeding. Speed kills, and traveling above the speed limit is an easy way to cause a car accident.
  3. Drunk Driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol causes car accidents every day, even when they are one the top causes that can be avoided.
  4. Reckless Driving. Reckless driving is a moving violation in which a driver displays a disregard for the rules of the road
  5. Rain. Car accidents happen very often in the rain because water creates slick and dangerous surfaces for cars, trucks, and motorcycles
  6. Running Red Lights. Drivers that run red lights, run the risk of causing wrongful death because they often cause side-impact collisions at high speeds.
  7. Running Stop Signs. Each year, thousands of car accidents occur because one driver ran a stop sign. Many rollover accidents and side-impact car accidents result from drivers that run stop signs.
  8. Teenage Drivers. When teen drivers hit the roads they don’t always know what to do and that lack of experience ends up causing car accidents.
  9. Night Driving. Driving in the daylight can be hazardous, but driving at night nearly doubles the risk of a car accident occurring.
  10. Design Defects. Automobiles have hundreds of parts, and any of those defective parts can cause a serious car accident.
  11. Unsafe Lane Changes. When drivers don’t make safe lane changes properly, it often leads to a car accident.
  12. Wrong-Way Driving. When you go the wrong way, everyone is in danger because as you head towards a car accident.
  13. Improper Turns. The reason that we have stop lights, turn signals, and lanes designated for moving either right or left as opposed to straight is because when drivers ignore the rules of the road, car accidents are often the result.
  14. Tailgating. Many fatal car accidents have occurred when a motorist dangerously tailgated another driver at high speeds. You can prevent these car accidents by giving the car in front of you a one-car-length buffer for every 10 mph you drive.
  15. Driving Under the Influence of Drugs. It’s not only alcohol that is dangerous when mixed with drivers on the road. Drugs, both legal and illegal, can impair your ability to fully function as a driver.
  16. Ice. Ice is a major cause of car accidents for cities with cold weather climates.
  17. Snow. Like ice, cities with cold winters know all-too-well just how dangerous snow can be for commuters.
  18. Road Rage. By tailgating another driver in anger or speeding past another driver only to pull in front of them and brake, these road “ragers” cause many needless car accidents each year.
  19. Potholes. Drivers run the risk of losing control of their car or blowing out a tire when they drive over potholes.
  20. Drowsy Driving. Driver fatigue isn’t talked about a lot, but how well can we expect anyone to drive when they’re having trouble staying awake. Most of the car accidents caused by drowsy driving occur at night.
  21. Tire Blowouts. Tire blowouts can cause you to lose control of your vehicle, and they are especially dangerous for bigger automobiles like semi-trucks.
  22. Fog. Fog isn’t the most common weather occurrence, and that’s good news for car accidents statistics. Driving is a skill that requires the ability to see, but fog makes it extremely difficult to see sometimes more than a car length in front of you.
  23. Deadly Curves. Many motorists have lost control of their cars along a dangerous curve and lost their lives in a car accident.
  24. Animal Crossings. Wild animals will wade out into the street, and it’s up to you to make sure that you don’t get into a car accident with them.
  25. Street Racing. With turbo engines and nitrous oxide boosters, cars often reach very high speeds during a street race, making any resulting car accident much more dangerous and unlikely to yield any survivors.

Corvettes (190mph)
Mustang 5.0 (175mph)

WHY ?????

Uhhhhh
Errrrrr

Yes

Bfytw

For what you say to work it will take a national program of inspections stations more government bureaucracy and as with prohibition corruption will come along with it. For your idea to work it would take a change in peoples attitudes. To change the people attitudes it will take education not laws.
What makes you think that most people want to drive like a 17 year old? Most people`s attitudes won`t need to be changed. A handful of people altering their engines will not be a reason for a national program of inspection stations, government bureaucracy and corruption. That`s ridiculous.

We had state inspection stations here in Florida and it didn't turn out well. What I described in my post caused a public revolt and A democrat Bob Graham got elected making closing them down one of his main issues. Much like smoking it was the increase in knowledge by the public that changed things other than government mandates.

If you have ever drove a commercial rental that had a governor on it - you would know why.
It sucked. And to my knowledge, they no longer use them.
Today, many cars have optional governors... including Tesla.

If you have ever drove a commercial rental that had a governor on it - you would know why.
It sucked. And to my knowledge, they no longer use them.
Today, many cars have optional governors... including Tesla.
Same with a fast woman in Arkansas. They slap a governor on her.

Forum List

Back