Do cars made for the general public really need to go so fast?

The truth is hypocrisy...
Just about everyone is a hypocrite. Those who claim otherwise are liars.

Here's a great example of hypocrisy on another subject....the classic bait and switch.

So you have a car capable of 150mph...but you never exceed the posted speed limits?
Suuuuuuuure, whatever you say.

Only times I've ever been in triple digits is on a quarter or half mile track.

I agree with you that this is what they're for.

I don't wanna play whos is bigger, but since you brought it up, ahh...never mind...tmi

Me either. I didn't bring it up. You did. You're the one who started poppin off about a Tesla passing me. What the heck. In fact, I was almost gonna have a bit of humor at your expense for that bit of hypocricy in the narrative you're trying to lay out here.

But I'm a nice guy. Really, I am. So I took the high road.

Last edited:
What the fuk does that have to do with 200mph cars ?
Lay off the meth

But he's right, though.

You've been hypocritical in your own thread.

So why's he all a sudden gotta be on meth for pointing this out?

Have you ever heard the one about the fox and the grapes?

Says the spoiled entitle little diaper sniffer who needs a car to make up for his personal tiny problems.

By the way....
Did you see the girl in the TESLA laughing as she welded your pokey chevy's doors shut? :laughing0301:

There's Corvettes....then there's fast cars the saying at the track goes. :dev3:

See, this is what I'm taling about.

How do you expect your ''concern'' or your anger on behalf of other people to be taken seriously with dialogue like that?

Not impressed with modern cars. Airbags go off its totalled. Crumple zones crumple at the slightest touch and your car it totalled. Can I get a real bumper please. My first car manufactured by totdays standard would have ended up in the junk yard 3 to four times with what back then was minor damage. Hit a concrete median backwards at 60 in a snowstorm......total damage some minor scratches and passneger side rear bumper folded slightly under, Ran over a post in a blizzard going back to college, Zero damage, Car was backed into mutliple times by college students who didnt look before backing.....minor denting,......thing was a tank
Not impressed with modern cars. Airbags go off its totalled.
This is no joke. My daughter had a car. It was a few years old but it was in beautiful condition. Somebody ran into her rear quarter. There wasn't that much damage. The car was still drive able. Cost to fix probably a few hundred bucks or so.

However, the air bags were deployed. This added many thousands to the repair cost. The insurance company totaled the car. We just cried.

Ah well. I'm going back down to the FZ.

Gosh. Doesn't any longer seem that the garage is even safe from astroturfing weenies. What a sad state of affairs.

See, this is what I'm taling about.

How do you expect your ''concern'' or your anger on behalf of other people to be taken seriously with dialogue like that?

You do know that Teslas are considerably faster than your corvette? I sense a bruised ego.
You showed the steering wheel to obviously show off your car and to taunt.

Since you opened the door to bragging and being a bit childish, (and went further to discuss your financial position) I returned the favor.

Now back to the topic.....
New Corvettes should be limited to no more than 20mph over the posted speed limit.
They can still accelerate to that point.

Last edited:
Corvettes (190mph)
Mustang 5.0 (175mph)
1000HP street cars (200mph+)
Teslas (Plaid...9.2 1/4 mile) (175mph)
And there is a plethora of BMW, Ford, GM, Lexus, Nissan etc cars that can easily top 150mph.

WHY ?????

If you really think about it, if our politicians were really concerned about public safety then why allow cars that can exceed posted speed limits by 2x or even 3x ?
Isn't that doing nothing more than putting everyone else at risk?

Can anyone justify why ANY regular passenger vehicle operated on public roads NEEDS to be capable of exceeding the posted speed limits by so much?
Limiting vehicles maximum top speed to say, 10 mph over the posted speed limit (for passing only) would likelt save millions of lives over time. Disagree? WHY?

Police chases often see violent perps in getaway vehicles weaving and bobbing recklessly in and out of traffic at speeds often exceeding 100mph.
Why not limit vehicles to 10mph over the posted speed limits?

Does anyone have a legitimate argument against limiting non-emergency vehicles in this manner?
Is it really your "Right" to be able to exceed the posted speed limit by dangerous amounts?
Driving is not a Right, it is a privilege. As such, no one has the right to put others in danger due to their recklessness.
Your desire to have "Fun" should not ever supersede the safety of everyone else for a privilege. EVER.
I see idiots barrelling down neighborhood streets at 50, 60 and sometimes 70 or more in posted 30MPH zones. WTF ??
What if children are playing?
The Number ONE cause of traffic injuries and death is excessive speed.
I'm sick of imbeciles and their ability to put everyone else at risk over something that could easily be fixed.

Imagine how much safer we ALL would be if idiots were not able to go 100, 150, 200+ on PUBLIC roads and highways or run from the Police.
What possible reasonable argument could be made against this?
This could EASILY be achieved through onboard computer chips. You could still have cars that could accelerate to posted speed limits faster than others for those whose egos need constant stroking. But there is no "need" to go faster.
Then if someone is caught exceeding the posted speed limits by more than 10mph, make it LAW that the vehicle is confiscated and sold and the funds go to families of victims of speeders or to highway and road infrastructure programs.

Only first responder and emergency vehicles should be allowed to go over the speed limit.

Doesn't this just make common sense?
I suppose politicians are too busy accepting gifts from the car manufacturers to give a flying flip about sensible public safety issues.
Want to go fast? Go to the frickin race track.
An NO...this does not extend to Constitutional RIGHTS.
I can understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately for you, a LOT of folks appear to like a LOT of hp/torque in their daily driver. Hp & torque $ell$ a lot of vehicle manufacturers vehicles which is good for bu$ine$$! The next step up from the factory hypo hp/Torque rigs are the dedicated rigs built by our "Brotherhood Of Hotrodders, Performance Enthusiasts & Machinists"(millions of us). Top end street rigs from our BOHPEM can easily exceed 3000 hp with Jehovian amounts of torque to boot. A typical top end street build can be seen in the vid below.

Just because one is riding on buku amounts of hp/torque does not mean that the driver is irresponsible or reckless(some are/some are not). A LOT of us are former quarter mile/short oval drivers so we come with experience up the wazoo to boot. Where I live the area is literally saturated with white-tailed deer with back road speed limits of 45mph. With foliage growing right up the the shoulders of many of these roads this speed demon is travelling @ a whopping 30 mph top speed. I mean @ that speed I have time to stop/maneuver/avoid a collision with a precious doe, which unlike a front clip on a vehicle, she cannot be replaced. Just keep in mind that there are will always be common sense people just like there will always be boneheads, like it's best in my opinion not to judge everyone to be of the same mentality.

I can understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately for you, a LOT of folks appear to like a LOT of hp/torque in their daily driver. Hp & torque $ell$ a lot of vehicle manufacturers vehicles which is good for bu$ine$$! The next step up from the factory hypo hp/Torque rigs are the dedicated rigs built by our "Brotherhood Of Hotrodders, Performance Enthusiasts & Machinists"(millions of us). Top end street rigs from our BOHPEM can easily exceed 3000 hp with Jehovian amounts of torque to boot. A typical top end street build can be seen in the vid below.

Just because one is riding on buku amounts of hp/torque does not mean that the driver is irresponsible or reckless(some are/some are not). A LOT of us are former quarter mile/short oval drivers so we come with experience up the wazoo to boot. Where I live the area is literally saturated with white-tailed deer with back road speed limits of 45mph. With foliage growing right up the the shoulders of many of these roads this speed demon is travelling @ a whopping 30 mph top speed. I mean @ that speed I have time to stop/maneuver/avoid a collision with a precious doe, which unlike a front clip on a vehicle, she cannot be replaced. Just keep in mind that there are will always be common sense people just like there will always be boneheads, like it's best in my opinion not to judge everyone to be of the same mentality.

It's mostly the younger generation and young people (mostly)

They seem to have little respect for laws or others.
You probably see them driving recklessly down your neighborhood.

Still.
Tell me why it makes sense to have cars available to careless boneheads that can do 150mph ?

Last edited:
Far too many people have abused freedom.
That is exactly why we are where we are today.

The only way freedom works in my opinion (as I have pointed out many times) is if you have responsible people only.
Once you get to a point where a society is full of self indulgent morons then freedom begins to fail since society at large pays a price for the stupidity and irresponsibility of others.

We are there today. If the vast majority of people were responsible then this thread would not even exist.
since we all know this is no longer the case, it may be time to impose limits on vehicles ability to exceed the speed limits.

Sure many can handle no limits and control themselves, but that will be little comfort when the one finds you or your family and does the unthinkable because they were distracted, angry, irresponsible or whatever. If the only argument to this thread is "Well it's a free country and I CAN", then you failed because people are dying. Happens every day. And there is no need to have 300hp or more in the average street car. None.
If people cannot control themselves then it must be done for them. Isn't that the point of laws and jails etc?

Why should these people even be able to get behind the wheel of a vehicle that can go 120, 150 or faster?
I think we in the USA have simply become so spoiled we are now overly entitled if not arrogant. Look at some of the comments.

People speed because they are selfish self-absorbed imbeciles.
"Bored" is NOT an excuse for going 80 through a residential neighborhood and killing children playing no more than murdering someone for their wallet is acceptable.

Your response is unbelievable.
If you need to speed to "stay alert" you DO NOT need to be behind the wheel putting everyone else at risk.

Using your logic, robbing banks is just fine since it could get you rich faster.
WOW

I was talking about HW speeding, sorry should have been more clear.

NO I DON"T SUPPORT SPEEDING IN NEIGHBORHOODS OR OTHER SUCH AREAS.

I agree but it's a matter of how much you're speeding. I don't think there is any practical reason for a car sold to the public to be able to exceed 100 mph. Every time I get on the highway ,there is some idiot who thinks he's in a Fast and Furious movie endangering everyone including himself.

I don't speed in traffic or at night. I mostly speed on the HW but not over 100 mph.

Far too many people have abused freedom.
That is exactly why we are where we are today.

The only way freedom works in my opinion (as I have pointed out many times) is if you have responsible people only.
Once you get to a point where a society is full of self indulgent morons then freedom begins to fail since society at large pays a price for the stupidity and irresponsibility of others.

We are there today. If the vast majority of people were responsible then this thread would not even exist.
since we all know this is no longer the case, it may be time to impose limits on vehicles ability to exceed the speed limits.

Sure many can handle no limits and control themselves, but that will be little comfort when the one finds you or your family and does the unthinkable because they were distracted, angry, irresponsible or whatever. If the only argument to this thread is "Well it's a free country and I CAN", then you failed because people are dying. Happens every day. And there is no need to have 300hp or more in the average street car. None.
If people cannot control themselves then it must be done for them. Isn't that the point of laws and jails etc?

Why should these people even be able to get behind the wheel of a vehicle that can go 120, 150 or faster?
I think we in the USA have simply become so spoiled we are now overly entitled if not arrogant. Look at some of the comments.
Modern Americans interpret freedom as THEIR freedom, not OUR freedom. Theyre no concerned if their freedom is encroaching on someone else's freedom. Like one person's freedom to play his radio at night encroaching on someone else's right to sleep at night. Americans are to a point where they're only concerned about their own.

I don't speed in traffic or at night. I mostly speed on the HW but not over 100 mph.

Well, at least you're honest.
100mph seems awfully fast but I don't know you or your vehicle.
Of course, I hope you wouldn't do that if the road was wet, slippery or at night.

If I have to drive on the highway at night I'm always concerned about deer jumping out from the woods so I tend to go as slow as safely possible at night on the HW. Minimum speed is often 45 so I might do 60. Dont want to impeded traffic either. But if the speed limit is 65 and I'm doing 60 and someone comes along at 100 then that's really their fault not mine.

Too bad people can't just be responsible. Many are probably on drugs of some sort.
As we speak I just heard a car outside (V8) accelerating as hard as it could sounding like it was on a drag strip, in a residential area.

Modern Americans interpret freedom as THEIR freedom, not OUR freedom. Theyre no concerned if their freedom is encroaching on someone else's freedom. Like one person's freedom to play his radio at night encroaching on someone else's right to sleep at night. Americans are to a point where they're only concerned about their own.

True. I have to agree with this point.
And a BIG part of the problem in America today.

Look at me! I drive a Corvette! Or This or that!
I have this or I have that!
I'm "better" than you or "I have more money than you!" or whatever.
That's what's omnipotent to most people today.

Vanity and materialism rules the land. Hedonism.I think America was a much better place when it was simpler and less materialistic.
Except maybe for the advances in medicine and quality of life.
It made better human beings than we have today.

Forum List

Back