Disappointed in God

He was very hands-on, mechanically oriented, and skilled in the doing of things. I am a very hands-off, pay others to do the mechanical stuff. My mentality is that I make enough money to ensure I don’t have to change the oil in my car or cut my grass. My free time is incredibly valuable and important to me. He could never understand that and it upset him. We are/we’re just very different people. While I was reading a book he wanted to be out doing something.
I understand. We could have had the same grandfather, except my grandfather (by the time he had a late son in life) had enough grandchildren to recognize different skills and abilities.

Yes it is. A VERY different path.

I don’t believe in love. I never have and likely never will. I also have no use for things, people, etc… that don’t perform as required when called upon to do so. That’s why the Abrahamic God is of no use to me.

leave out the unsuspecting deity and your appraisal actually seems to fit your own self centered assessment and a hint for the dark side of das kapital.

Actually, they could feed themselves then, as well. There were times my husband traveled, and the news has enough stories of something happening to the single parent and children left in need. So I made sure my two could feed themselves if something happened to me. Had something happened to me when they were infants, that would have been terrible.
YEah OK your 2 and 3 year olds were capable of getting their own food and feeding themselves.

And, of course, having a supernatural experience, you seem to believe it never crossed my mind to do all the neuroscience research available.

You just choose to believe in mysticism over science.

Just because we may not have an answer for everything is no reason to attribute those things to some mystical magical source.

I accept the possibility that we may never completely understand the universe because out brains are incapable of the thought processes required.

My dogs will never understand prime numbers because their brains are incapable of those thought processes.

It only makes sense that our brains will have a similar limitation/

This in no way proves the existence of anything has some mystical cause.

You just choose to believe in mysticism over science.
Don't be silly. I teach science. I know science. I study science. Apparently you don't like that I know and understand the differences.

Just because we may not have an answer for everything is no reason to attribute those things to some mystical magical source.
God is not magical. That is your own description and could not be more wrong.

YEah OK your 2 and 3 year olds were capable of getting their own food and feeding themselves.
I think you are missing the point. You seem to think I am incapable of distinguishing between physical science and spirituality--even incapable of seeing my own children are fed should something happen to me. In other words, you seem to think I am some kind of idiot instead of someone with whom you can share various experiences and perspectives.

Don't be silly. I teach science. I know science. I study science. Apparently you don't like that I know and understand the differences.
What difference?

The so called spirits world is the universal fudge factor used to explain things we can't understand.

Don't understand the origin of the universe? A god did it.

Don't understand some kinds of mental experiences. Sprits did it.

Personally I think that people need to believe that there is some part of themselves that is immortal is nothing but a reflection of our inherent narcissism.

I think you are missing the point. You seem to think I am incapable of distinguishing between physical science and spirituality--even incapable of seeing my own children are fed should something happen to me. In other words, you seem to think I am some kind of idiot instead of someone with whom you can share various experiences and perspectives.

I never said in the event something happened to you.

You are adding content to the question which tells me you didn;t think it was rhetorical.

Omnipotent, omniscient, invisible sprits that no one can seem to prove exist.
Sigh. How many times do I have to say it. Proof is a attribute of a physical world. It involves the five senses, and it can be repeated and remeasured. Spiritual events cannot be measured, and are usually not repeated. They are beyond the physical and therefore, beyond scientific proof.

Also, are you defining 'omnipotent' and 'omniscient' correctly? They mean all the power it is possible to have; all the knowledge it is possible to have. In other words, more power and knowledge than we are capable of having.

Not you, but those who question, "Is God so powerful and knowledgeable He can make a rock He cannot lift" is pure ignorance of the meaning of the words and of God.

Personally I think that people need to believe that there is some part of themselves that is immortal is nothing but a reflection of our inherent narcissism.
Isn't the true definition of narcissism being centered only on self? For example, "I did not observe an outside spiritual experience, it came from me!" Even worse is you saying, "Since I never had such an experience and you have I can tell you--despite your knowledge of neuroscience--that I know better. It was still a brain malfunction. Period. No discussion from you necessary."

You are adding content to the question which tells me you didn;t think it was rhetorical.
I didn't think your question of whether I feed my children was rhetorical. I apologize if it was and I misunderstood.

Sigh. How many times do I have to say it. Proof is a attribute of a physical world. It involves the five senses, and it can be repeated and remeasured. Spiritual events cannot be measured, and are usually not repeated. They are beyond the physical and therefore, beyond scientific proof.

Also, are you defining 'omnipotent' and 'omniscient' correctly? They mean all the power it is possible to have; all the knowledge it is possible to have. In other words, more power and knowledge than we are capable of having.

Not you, but those who question, "Is God so powerful and knowledgeable He can make a rock He cannot lift" is pure ignorance of the meaning of the words and of God.
No it could be a mathematical proof.

and i use definitions from the dictionary

There is no use of the word possible in either definition.

By your definition any being that knows just a little more than us would be omniscient.

Isn't the true definition of narcissism being centered only on self? For example, "I did not observe an outside spiritual experience, it came from me!" Even worse is you saying, "Since I never had such an experience and you have I can tell you--despite your knowledge of neuroscience--that I know better. It was still a brain malfunction. Period. No discussion from you necessary."
the ultimate reward of the worship of a god is the promise of the preservation of your immortal soul. Why does a part of anyone have to be immortal? It's the belief that the idea of not existing is abhorrent to the ego.

And if all so called spiritual experiences originate in the brain as i believe then I cannot say that they originate from some outside source for some people at least until that outside source is proven to exist.

I didn't think your question why I don't feel the need to respect people was rhetorical.
And even though I explained it was and why, here we are still grinding. I'll see you in another discussion. This one has been going nowhere for quite some time.

And even though I explained it was and why, here we are still grinding. I'll see you in another discussion. This one has been going nowhere for quite some time.
Then why didn't you take my question about feeding your kids as rhetorical?

It was at its root the same question you asked me.

Forum List

Back