Did you know it's actually a myth that if you go to sleep with a blocked nose you will breathe through your mouth?

Cla234

Sep 15, 2022
If you go to sleep with a completely blocked nose, you can die from asphyxiation in your sleep. This infamously happened to Mark Gleeson. If your nose is completely blocked from a cold be sure to stay awake for as long as you have a blocked nose. The reflex to breathe through your mouth when you have a blocked nose does not happen during sleep.

I looked on YouTube for videos of people pinching people's noses shut while they sleep and I can confirm none of them opened their mouths and breathed, instead they just woke up, imagine if they were in deep sleep though and they had a bad cold.

Myths like this are dangerous and can get people killed. There's no scientific evidence that a person will open their mouth and breathe through their mouth if their nose is blocked during sleep. In fact, babies born with agenesis of the nose suffocate shortly after being born.

If you go to sleep with a completely blocked nose, you can die from asphyxiation in your sleep. This infamously happened to Mark Gleeson. If your nose is completely blocked from a cold be sure to stay awake for as long as you have a blocked nose. The reflex to breathe through your mouth when you have a blocked nose does not happen during sleep.

I looked on YouTube for videos of people pinching people's noses shut while they sleep and I can confirm none of them opened their mouths and breathed, instead they just woke up, imagine if they were in deep sleep though and they had a bad cold.

Myths like this are dangerous and can get people killed. There's no scientific evidence that a person will open their mouth and breathe through their mouth if their nose is blocked during sleep. In fact, babies born with agenesis of the nose suffocate shortly after being born.
You'd be much better not getting your scientific evidence via You Tube videos. Might I recommend a medical library instead.

You'd be much better not getting your scientific evidence via You Tube videos. Might I recommend a medical library instead.
I did look on NIH and ResearchGate.

Couldn't find a thing on people switching to mouth breathing during sleep if the nose gets blocked. All I could find is this reflex happening while people are awake.

I did look on NIH and ResearchGate.

Couldn't find a thing on people switching to mouth breathing during sleep if the nose gets blocked. All I could find is this reflex happening while people are awake.
There's a reason it's not on NIH or ResearchGate.......... There's no scientific evidence to back it up.

There's a reason it's not on NIH or ResearchGate.......... There's no scientific evidence to back it up.
That's what I mean. There's no scientific evidence that a person will breathe through their mouths if they get a blocked nose while they are asleep. Unfortunately as a result of this myth, people have died of asphyxiation in their sleep due to a blocked nose.

I almost followed faulty plumbing advice on Youtube before consulting a professional

Luckily, I consulted the professional.

That's what I mean. There's no scientific evidence that a person will breathe through their mouths if they get a blocked nose while they are asleep. Unfortunately as a result of this myth, people have died of asphyxiation in their sleep due to a blocked nose.
I'm talking about the urban myth you're concocting right now. No one has died from asphyxiation due to a blocked nose, they have however died from severe obstructive sleep apnea or other medically/chemically related issues. You don't know what you are talking about and you're spreading bull shit. This has been studied and studied and studied, your hypotheses was dis-proven a long time ago.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the urban myth you're concocting right now. No one has died from asphyxiation due to a blocked nose, they have however died from severe obstructive sleep apnea or other medically/chemically related issues. You don't know what you are talking about and you're spreading bull shit.
Incorrect. People have died of asphyxiation from blocked noses while sleeping.

There is zero scientific evidence of this mouth breathing reflex during sleep.

There is zero scientific evidence of this mouth breathing reflex during sleep. \
Yes he suffocated but only because he had severe sleep apnea and wasn't being treated for it, his soft pallet collapsed obstructing his airway. His blocking his only other means of breathing simply exaserbated his condition. (Yes you can breath through blocked nasal passages as they are never truly blocked except artificially) The death was due to incorrect self treatment of a severe medical condition that is properly treatable.

Yes he suffocated but only because he had severe sleep apnea and wasn't being treated for it, his soft pallet collapsed obstructing his airway. His blocking his only other means of breathing simply exaserbated his condition. (Yes you can breath through blocked nasal passages as they are never truly blocked except artificially)
Snoring does not equal sleep apnea. The newspapers did not say he had sleep apnea they said he developed snoring after damaging his nose. He didn't have sleep apnea.

Approximately just under half of people snore. But only about 3-6% of people have sleep apnea.

Snoring does not equal sleep apnea. The newspapers did not say he had sleep apnea they said he developed snoring after damaging his nose. He didn't have sleep apnea.

Approximately just under half of people snore. But only about 3-6% of people have sleep apnea.
You're relying on the media for your evidence???!!!! Really???!!!!!!! That explains it all........... Have a nice life.

You're relying on the media for your evidence???!!!! Really???!!!!!!! That explains it all........... Have a nice life.
His pathologist was interviewed. His pathologist made no mention of sleep apnea. Where are you getting the idea that Mark Gleeson had sleep apnea?

His pathologist was interviewed. His pathologist made no mention of sleep apnea. Where are you getting the idea that Mark Gleeson had sleep apnea?
Really? Pathologists are adjuncts to primary and specialty care physicians, they study body tissues and fluids, they wouldn't have a clue about sleep apnea........ What are you? High school age, please don't tell me you're in college..........

Yes he suffocated but only because he had severe sleep apnea and wasn't being treated for it, his soft pallet collapsed obstructing his airway. His blocking his only other means of breathing simply exaserbated his condition. (Yes you can breath through blocked nasal passages as they are never truly blocked except artificially) The death was due to incorrect self treatment of a severe medical condition that is properly treatable.

This used to happen to me. It woke me up, causing me to sit up in bed gasping for air through my now-unobstructed airway, long before it killed me.

I get stopped up nose when I lay down to sleep during the winter time. Don't know why, but cold air always has done that to me.
I've always ended up with dry mouth from mouth breathing all night.

I've known a lot of people like this, that have breathing problems at night or when they are in a lying down position and end up breathing through their mouths. Whatever info you are reading is just one extreme end of the spectrum.

If you have problems breathing with a stuffed up nose, you might try some of these things...............

I use this one

1667304718348.png

saline spray
1667304780715.png

or other similar nose sprays....this one is supposed to be mild
1667304814896.png

humidifier helps me out during the winter a great deal
1667304912575.png

These help me a lot also
1667305063296.png

I've used these before too, before I found the silicone ones above
1667305119218.png

I get stopped up nose when I lay down to sleep during the winter time. Don't know why, but cold air always has done that to me.
I've always ended up with dry mouth from mouth breathing all night.

I've known a lot of people like this, that have breathing problems at night or when they are in a lying down position and end up breathing through their mouths. Whatever info you are reading is just one extreme end of the spectrum.

If you have problems breathing with a stuffed up nose, you might try some of these things...............

I use this one

View attachment 719292

saline spray
View attachment 719293

or other similar nose sprays....this one is supposed to be mild
View attachment 719294

humidifier helps me out during the winter a great deal
View attachment 719295

These help me a lot also
View attachment 719296

I've used these before too, before I found the silicone ones above
View attachment 719298
Question: Do you wake up after a full night's sleep still feeling tired?

We already have a thread on this.

There is zero scientific evidence of this mouth breathing reflex during sleep.

You already posted this in your last thread.

Forum List

Back