If a person goes to sleep with a blocked nose, they will die of suffocation. I have a bad cold - how do I prevent myself from falling asleep?

Cla234

Sep 15, 2022
In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

Last edited:
Yes. During sleep. It’s an autonomic nervous system thing.
Incorrect. Look up ''Mark Gleeson snoring death''. He shoved tampons up his nostrils to try and cure his snoring, before going to bed. He died of suffocation in his sleep because his nose was blocked.

In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

Hard to believe. Wouldn't suffocating wake you up? SMH

Nonsense.

Not nonsense. Having a blocked nose while you're asleep is fatal.

Incorrect. Look up ''Mark Gleeson snoring death''. He shoved tampons up his nostrils to try and cure his snoring, before going to bed. He died of suffocation in his sleep because his nose was blocked.
But, no bloody mess to clean up.

Well I have to say, you would probably feel pretty stupid when you got to heaven when asked, "What happened to you?

"Well, I made it so I could not breath and went to bed, how about you?................Ok.....................you can stop laughing now........................anyday................how about now?"

Not nonsense. Having a blocked nose while you're asleep is fatal.

Absolute nonsense.

I don't know what happened to that Gleeson guy but BackAgain is right. Your reflexes will take over and you will breathe through your mouth.

Forum List

Back