Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Take it or leave it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Not really

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
Had the usual adolescent angst, mean girls, unrequited crushes and high drama. But also had my best friends who are still my best friends. Got to spend time doing musical shows, gossiping with friends, reading great books and learning new things. Was a great time overall. One wasted on someone as young as we were :eusa_angel:

And the boys were cute. :eusa_whistle:

I was a bright kid but also a bit of an intellectual smart-alecky. I attended a public school but the students were expected to pledge allegiance under God. We also had to sit through a Christian prayer given over the public address system. I asked to recite my prayer in similar fashion (certainly not a Christian prayer) but I was denied. Oh well. I made my points without creating a fuss.

I also recall when a teacher was telling us about Christopher Columbus. She said that he “discovered” the new world. I said that I to, in similar fashion, wander down the street and discover a new house. My teacher just smirked at me and shook her head.

Those were fun times for me.

Well , I am in my final year of high school..Its been a bumpy ride so far with more surprises yet to come!! The scholastic part of it was okay though I screwed up on some tests and exams..The worst part is that the teachers want you to get your parents signature for each and every goddamn test they conduct!!! Activities and Sports are really fun..The downside is that I gotta cut back on soccer and drama!:(

Hated it. I actually graduated a half credit short in English. My mother, bless her soul, on my behalf pleaded with our school principle to sign my diploma if I took a college extension course equal to a half credit, and he said yes. The school really wanted to get rid of my hoodlum ass. So I took a college level 18 week long extension class in Auto Engine Mechanics in 3 weeks and got an A-. They wondered how I could do that and get such mediocre grades in high school. Answer: I liked the extension course. It interested me. Years later in college I was on the "high" Honor Roll with a 3.85 GPA.

I never went to a single prom, dance, game, nothing. I couldn't get far enough away from school when it was time to go home. I can't put my finger on anything in specific why I hated it so either. I just did.

Hated it. I actually graduated a half credit short in English. My mother, bless her soul, on my behalf pleaded with our school principle to sign my diploma if I took a college extension course equal to a half credit, and he said yes. The school really wanted to get rid of my hoodlum ass. So I took a college level 18 week long extension class in Auto Engine Mechanics in 3 weeks and got an A-. They wondered how I could do that and get such mediocre grades in high school. Answer: I liked the extension course. It interested me. Years later in college I was on the "high" Honor Roll with a 3.85 GPA.

I never went to a single prom, dance, game, nothing. I couldn't get far enough away from school when it was time to go home. I can't put my finger on anything in specific why I hated it so either. I just did.

I finished a credit short, took a year off and attended college as a mature student. Where there's a will, there's a way.
I hated school with a passion. I took part in nothing past gr 7 and couldn't get far enough away from it either. For me, I was just too cool for school. :doubt:

That's kinda how I am. I do go to dances and games sometimes, but not because I like my school, just something to do with my friends. I wear my maroon letterman's jacket with a giant H on it, too, because I bought it last year and I think it looks good on me :cool:. What I think I dont like about school is the other people I'm forced to spend my time with. That, and because the staff treats me as a four year old, while I view them as colleagues.

I went to 3 of em. Freshman in MN, soph, jr. in Okinawa and graduated in Hawaii. Loved every minute of it (except English). Why you have to study a language that you already know is beyond me. :rofl:

I hated high school, didn't go much in my last two years. Had plenty of friends, but for the most part our friendships preceded hs. I regret now that I failed to get as much out of it as I could have.

On the other hand, it seems to me that it has gotten more rigorous, than less, in some areas since I was in school. There's more math required, but less higher order thinking skills and writing in other subjects.

I hated high school, didn't go much in my last two years. Had plenty of friends, but for the most part our friendships preceded hs. I regret now that I failed to get as much out of it as I could have.

On the other hand, it seems to me that it has gotten more rigorous, than less, in some areas since I was in school. There's more math required, but less higher order thinking skills and writing in other subjects.

I think the actual material has gotten tougher, but not the actual experience. Teachers are way too lenient at my school most of the time, and things have just overall gotten dumber/easier. For instance, one can pass PE just by trying or presenting the air that they are trying, even if they are completely out of shape and failed to make any progress as far as physical education is concerned.

I think the actual material has gotten tougher, but not the actual experience. Teachers are way too lenient at my school most of the time, and things have just overall gotten dumber/easier. For instance, one can pass PE just by trying or presenting the air that they are trying, even if they are completely out of shape and failed to make any progress as far as physical education is concerned.

Well that's lucky..In our syllabus we have an actual P.E exam where we have to do 5 rounds around the field in a set period of time.Its really freaks you out! Then we have the cross country run which is kind of fun!

Why do you think the material has gotten tougher?

PE was and always will be a goof. We used to take dance or gymnastics to get out of regular gym. And if we couldn't get into dance or gymnastics, I know lots of people who got MX'd from gym.

Why do you think the material has gotten tougher?

PE was and always will be a goof. We used to take dance or gymnastics to get out of regular gym. And if we couldn't get into dance or gymnastics, I know lots of people who got MX'd from gym.

Because my mom, who excelled in math, was nowhere near the level that my brother was when he excelled in math. In my mom's day, I don't believe calculus was offered in school much, now it is almost standard.

Gym is a goof, I agree it always has been. Its goofier than ever now. I recall last year, we had to run around the gym for two minutes to pass, which would increase to ten minutes by the end of the year. It ended up that people could walk and still pass, because they were "trying."

Because my mom, who excelled in math, was nowhere near the level that my brother was when he excelled in math. In my mom's day, I don't believe calculus was offered in school much, now it is almost standard.

Gym is a goof, I agree it always has been. Its goofier than ever now. I recall last year, we had to run around the gym for two minutes to pass, which would increase to ten minutes by the end of the year. It ended up that people could walk and still pass, because they were "trying."

Fair enough. I think perhaps it also has to do with where you go to school and the type of program you're in. I remember trig being taught, but I passed on calculus. It wasn't mandatory, though. I do know, based on watching my son, who's only in fifth grade, that even at the elementary school level, things are very competative academically. It makes me sad, actually, because I don't think kids really get to be kids any more.

Fair enough. I think perhaps it also has to do with where you go to school and the type of program you're in. I remember trig being taught, but I passed on calculus. It wasn't mandatory, though. I do know, based on watching my son, who's only in fifth grade, that even at the elementary school level, things are very competative academically. It makes me sad, actually, because I don't think kids really get to be kids any more.

Definitely agree with you on that one.

I had to vote not really. I went to an all boys school and all day sat staring out the window thinking of girls and cars. Funny when I hear kids are ADD or some other diagnostic label. I think we all are sometimes. In grade school I would have to stand writing punishments for weeks, some of those nuns were just plain crazy. I did work as a janitorial helper through HS so that was good even though mom took the money for the family. I think our classes were too large, we were immature, and when you are in the lower classes of society money is always a problem. We used to dress like peasants as our clothes were the neighbors throw aways. Ironically my best friend was a Black kid who read all class and introduced me to literature. Kinda weird as before that my race relations consisted of calling each other names and fighting. One fond memory was an Italian girl I thought I would marry, we spent the weekends in alleys making out. Years later I think I woke up from that adolescent stupor. I think?

Forum List

Back