Dick Butkus got verified by Twitter

I got 10 tickets from my company to the Lion/Bears game in 2001. The Bears were very good that year and the Lions sucked as usual. The first play from scrimmage for Bears was a touchdown. They won 24-0.

Funny thing…I had five tickets unused. These guys came up to us asking if we had any tickets for sale. My buddy says off-hand “yeah we got five and will sell em’ for $500.” The guy says no way, but I’ll give you $250. I sad sold! We blew that $250 on lots of beer and food. Good times.

More than half the Silverdome was Bears fans.
Bears-Lions… Bears-Vikings… Bears-Packers… Hell, any team against Da Bears is usually a rivalry!

Shit ... Barry was the offense for the Lions ...
Had almost as many negative yards as positive yards, used the whole damn field and still broke records.

In a 45 yard gain ... Barry might have run 175 yards all over the field ... :auiqs.jpg:
He was also just a Class Act and was respected by many.

You need to watch the ESPN documentary on Sanders. He was truly one of the greatest football players of all time. His feats in college and pro were amazing.

Would you believe the Packers passed on him for the second pick in the draft (cowboys picked Aikman #1). The Lions got him #3. Can you imagine how great the a packers would have been with Sanders and Favre in the backfield?

Born in 2002, so I don't remember any of these guys unfortunately.

Watch this monster and I tell ya if I had him chasing me I would have tossed the Football at him, ran screaming while shit was streaking behind me and I am built like a wrestler from the AWA days, and I wouldn’t want no part of that beast!

Watch this monster and I tell ya if I had him chasing me I would have tossed the Football at him, ran screaming while shit was streaking behind me and I am built like a wrestler from the AWA days, and I wouldn’t want no part of that beast!

Lol. There was a game at Soldiers Field between Lions and Bears. The Lions running back Altie Taylor was having a good day running the ball. On one play Altie runs out of bounds, with Butkus chasing him. Dick kept chasing him and Altie kept running. Lol.

You need to watch the ESPN documentary on Sanders. He was truly one of the greatest football players of all time. His feats in college and pro were amazing.

Would you believe the Packers passed on him for the second pick in the draft (cowboys picked Aikman #1). The Lions got him #3. Can you imagine how great the a packers would have been with Sanders and Favre in the backfield?

Thanks ... I wasn't interested in football until college but gained an appreciation for the sport then.
The only reason I even know about Barry Sanders is because I have come across so many awesome documentaries about him.

Live footage where they couldn't stop him no matter how hard they tried ... The whole damn team would try to tackle him.
I am not talking about an Emmit Smith freight train coming ... Barry would waltz down the field like he was dancing sometimes.
But in the end ... What impressed me more than that is what the people he played with and against thought about him.

There may be players out there now that are like that ... But I still pretty much just watch college ball.
I'm a LSU fan ... So it's already hard enough to get through a weekend during football season.
There's no telling what going to happen on the field with my team ... :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:

Thanks ... I wasn't interested in football until college but gained an appreciation for the sport then.
The only reason I even know about Barry Sanders is because I have come across so many awesome documentaries about him.

Live footage where they couldn't stop him no matter how hard they tried ... The whole damn team would try to tackle him.
I am not talking about an Emmit Smith freight train coming ... Barry would waltz down the field like he was dancing sometimes.
But in the end ... What impressed me more than that is what the people he played with and against thought about him.

There may be players out there now that are like that ... But I still pretty much just watch college ball.
I'm a LSU fan ... So it's already hard enough to get through a weekend during football season.
There's no telling what going to happen on the field with my team ... :auiqs.jpg:

Before Sanders there was Sweetness Walter Payton:

Before Sanders there was Sweetness Walter Payton:

Not to take away from Walter Payton's obvious talents ... But he still liked to run into folks on the field.
What I liked the most about Barry was how the Defense would try to touch him and end up with nothing in their hands.

During one documentary they were talking to players on the Viking's Defense ...
When they commented that the coaches would release chickens on the field for them to catch, to help them get ready for Barry ... :auiqs.jpg:

Not to take away from Walter Payton's obvious talents ... But he still liked to run into folks on the field.
What I liked the most about Barry was how the Defense would try to touch him and end up with nothing in their hands.

During one documentary they were talking to players on the Viking's Defense ...
When they commented that the coaches would release chickens on the field for them to catch, to help them get ready for Barry ... :auiqs.jpg:

What helped keep Barry healthy is he went to ground or would run out of bounds to avoid getting hit. Walter seldom did this. He tried to run over people and you had to physically take him out of bounds.

What helped keep Barry healthy is he went to ground or would run out of bounds to avoid getting hit. Walter seldom did this. He tried to run over people and you had to physically take him out of bounds.
Just not that when you watch those highlights Walter would let his blockers do the blocking and would do a stutter step to get the block he needed and if not then he would just plow right into you like a Mack Truck…

People can write about legends and greats of Football but I tell ya Dick Butkus was one player every Football Player feared!

The man was just down right mean on the field and in today time wouldn’t even be allow you play the game!

I do not know if it is true or not but I remember a quote that someone said he said and it went like this:

Reporter: How was your game today?

Dick: Not great I didn’t kill the QB today…

Players feared Dick Butkus and now he is trolling Aaron Rodgers on Twitter, and I wonder if Rodgers or any QB of today had to play against Dick Butkus would they automatically retire before stepping on the field?

Bears fans can write all day about Brian U. and Mike S. but Dick Butkus was the greatest LB of all time in Chi-town and let me say his generation of Football was world class bad ass Football!
Great in his time. He would get killed in today's game.

Great in his time. He would get killed in today's game.
I am sorry but Dick Butkus would steam roll the guys today in his youth…

The man was fierce and not one to even pretend he was weak… Today kids would be screaming down the road if they had to face him in his prime…

The man was pure hate on the field and today rules would get him thrown out of the league.

gipper mentioned a time where Butkus chased a player even after being out of bounds because the man was insane on the field, so no he wouldn’t get killed in today game and Rodgers would retire than face Butkus in his prime!

He'd just laugh.....unless you are ona them faggy quarterbacks
Man he loved killing the QB but I could imagine me as a RB and screaming “ Look, it’s Dick Butt-Kiss “ and soon I would be running as fast as I could not to get killed by that beast!

He is funny though and has a sharp sense of humor!

I am sorry but Dick Butkus would steam roll the guys today in his youth…

The man was fierce and not one to even pretend he was weak… Today kids would be screaming down the road if they had to face him in his prime…

The man was pure hate on the field and today rules would get him thrown out of the league.

gipper mentioned a time where Butkus chased a player even after being out of bounds because the man was insane on the field, so no he wouldn’t get killed in today game and Rodgers would retire than face Butkus in his prime!
You're kidding right? He was a big strong fast guy in the late 60's early 70's. The average size of a lineman then was 6'3" 255 (the same size as Butkus) There are QB's (Aaron Rodgers) who are almost that big now. The average size of a lineman is 6'4'" to 6'7" and over 300 lbs in 2020. Butkus would be about average for height and weight in today's game and much less strong and fast. You can be as mean as you want but if the guys you're playing against are bigger faster and stronger than you it doesn't matter.

QB- Avg. Height: 75.43 in Avg. Weight: 224.97 lbs
• RB- Avg. Height: 70.73 in Avg. Weight: 214.48 lbs
• WR- Avg. Height: 72.40 in Avg. Weight: 200.32 lbs
• TE- Avg. Height: 76.54 in Avg. Weight: 254.26 lbs
• FB- Avg. Height: 72.33 in Avg. Weight: 244.43 lbs
• OL- Avg. Height: 76.75 in Avg. Weight: 314.16 lbs
• DB- Avg. Height: 71.69 in Avg. Weight: 200.10 lbs
• LB- Avg. Height: 74.04 in Avg. Weight: 244.64 lbs
• DE- Avg. Height: 75.82 in Avg. Weight: 278.99 lbs
• DT- Avg. Height: 75.22 in Avg. Weight: 308.97 lbs
• K- Avg. Height: 72.19 in Avg. Weight: 202.58 lbs
• P- Avg. Height: 73.77 in Avg. Weight: 214.32 lbs
• LS- Avg. Height: 74.48 in Avg. Weight: 243.76 lb

The average TE today would have been an oversized OT in Butkus's day. Not to mention that the players are stronger and faster than at any other point in NFL history. Im not saying he wouldnt be a good player, but there probably wouldnt be an award named after him if he played in 2020 vs the1960's.

Yeah 6'3-6'4 240 just a wimp...right ?
That's basically the average size of a QB in 2020.... He was a huge LB in the 1960's today he would be average. And let's not forget that 6'3" 240 in the 60's is a different ht/wt than today. You guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement.

You're kidding right? He was a big strong fast guy in the late 60's early 70's. The average size of a lineman then was 6'3" 255 (the same size as Butkus) There are QB's (Aaron Rodgers) who are almost that big now. The average size of a lineman is 6'4'" to 6'7" and over 300 lbs in 2020. Butkus would be about average for height and weight in today's game and much less strong and fast. You can be as mean as you want but if the guys you're playing against are bigger faster and stronger than you it doesn't matter.

QB- Avg. Height: 75.43 in Avg. Weight: 224.97 lbs
• RB- Avg. Height: 70.73 in Avg. Weight: 214.48 lbs
• WR- Avg. Height: 72.40 in Avg. Weight: 200.32 lbs
• TE- Avg. Height: 76.54 in Avg. Weight: 254.26 lbs
• FB- Avg. Height: 72.33 in Avg. Weight: 244.43 lbs
• OL- Avg. Height: 76.75 in Avg. Weight: 314.16 lbs
• DB- Avg. Height: 71.69 in Avg. Weight: 200.10 lbs
• LB- Avg. Height: 74.04 in Avg. Weight: 244.64 lbs
• DE- Avg. Height: 75.82 in Avg. Weight: 278.99 lbs
• DT- Avg. Height: 75.22 in Avg. Weight: 308.97 lbs
• K- Avg. Height: 72.19 in Avg. Weight: 202.58 lbs
• P- Avg. Height: 73.77 in Avg. Weight: 214.32 lbs
• LS- Avg. Height: 74.48 in Avg. Weight: 243.76 lb

The average TE today would have been an oversized OT in Butkus's day. Not to mention that the players are stronger and faster than at any other point in NFL history. Im not saying he wouldnt be a good player, but there probably wouldnt be an award named after him if he played in 2020 vs the1960's.
You might have a point. The players today are bigger and faster, than in Butkus’ time. I doubt though, you’d find any linebacker is motivated as Butkus.

Compared to Ray Lewis, who is considered a modern era great player, Butkus was bigger. Ray 6-1 240 and Dick 6-3 245

You might have a point. The players today are bigger and faster, than in Butkus’ time. I doubt though, you’d find any linebacker is motivated as Butkus.

Compared to Ray Lewis, who is considered a modern era great player, Butkus was bigger. Ray 6-1 240 and Dick 6-3 245
Yes but Butkus likely wasn't nearly as strong as Lewis being 2 inches taller but only 5 lbs heavier, and I know he wasn't as fast. Nutrition, training, both strength and speed are worlds better today than back then. And was Butkus more of a madman than James Harrison or Lewis? I doubt it. Today's players just can't do those things because they will get suspended and fined if they do. What would also likely give Butkus problems is the passing game. Teams weren't running 5 wide and having backs and TE's needing coverage as well.

Forum List

Back