DeVos saves money by sending back 10 mil worth of Grant Apps

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I guess this is how the Dept. of Ed plans on cutting back their budget--by willy-nilly rejecting grant applications for minor formatting problems without even reading them.

Nice job, DeVos. Is this part of the new, improved Trump plan to remove silly regulations that gum up government agencies?

For the want of double spacing in a small section of a 65-page grant application, 109 low-income high-school students will be cut off from a program at Wittenberg University that has been providing them with tutoring and counseling to prepare them for college. And they’re not alone. Over the past few weeks at least 40 colleges and organizations with similar Upward Bound programs have also had their grant applications summarily rejected by the U.S. Department of Education for running afoul of rules on mandatory double-spacing rules, use of the wrong font, or other minor technical glitches.

Dozens of Colleges’ Upward Bound Applications Are Denied for Failing to Dot Every I

Univ. of Maine at Presque Isle was also affected; it is one of the best programs for promoting higher education that we have. This is ridiculous.

Well, maybe they should follow the rules.
I think we have fucked up our country enough with giving a kid a trophy for sucking.
I remember in high school, if we didn't do everything the teacher asked for reports, we would get bad grades. THE BLASPHAMY

I think we have fucked up our country enough with giving a kid a trophy for sucking.
I remember in high school, if we didn't do everything the teacher asked for reports, we would get bad grades. THE BLASPHAMY
It's true rules are rules, but some of these colleges have been submitting grant apps successfully for years. The UMPI application had a two page INSERT, a graphics box, basically, that they failed to change to double spacing. That was it. You should read the article.

I guess this is how the Dept. of Ed plans on cutting back their budget--by willy-nilly rejecting grant applications for minor formatting problems without even reading them.

Nice job, DeVos. Is this part of the new, improved Trump plan to remove silly regulations that gum up government agencies?

For the want of double spacing in a small section of a 65-page grant application, 109 low-income high-school students will be cut off from a program at Wittenberg University that has been providing them with tutoring and counseling to prepare them for college. And they’re not alone. Over the past few weeks at least 40 colleges and organizations with similar Upward Bound programs have also had their grant applications summarily rejected by the U.S. Department of Education for running afoul of rules on mandatory double-spacing rules, use of the wrong font, or other minor technical glitches.

Dozens of Colleges’ Upward Bound Applications Are Denied for Failing to Dot Every I

Univ. of Maine at Presque Isle was also affected; it is one of the best programs for promoting higher education that we have. This is ridiculous.

I am so mad, fu=ck this rich unqualified hag, who gave the republican party 2 million dollars and was put in to destroy America's education system ... Wow...and below is what she did to make it harder for students to pay back their high student loans..
Opinion: Trump’s Ed. Secretary DeVos Made It Harder To Repay Student Loans

1hz9lf.jpg

If they're too stupid to follow the application instructions, then they are also too stupid to get tax payer deficit money.

It's true rules are rules, but some of these colleges have been submitting grant apps successfully for years. The UMPI application had a two page INSERT, a graphics box, basically, that they failed to change to double spacing. That was it. You should read the article.

Failed for double spacing..haaa... We all knew this was going to happen. This cabinet was put inplace by Mike Pence to basically F=ck American's ...I am so mad.

Both of my son's are in college and it is so expensive already. They want to make sure that the rich kids are the ones going to college and the peasants remain peasants..

Then next year they can get it right.

If they're too stupid to follow the application instructions, then they are also too stupid to get tax payer deficit money.

Come on ZZ ,like you have never made a mistake . DeVampire is just looking for blood.

Failed for double spacing..haaa... We all knew this was going to happen. This cabinet was put inplace by Mike Pence to basically F=ck American's ...I am so mad.

Both of my son's are in college and it is so expensive already. They want to make sure that the rich kids are the ones going to college and the peasants remain peasants..

Considering all the worthless degrees being issued, the "peasants" kids will probably end up making more $$ than the liberal elite's kids if they go into the skilled trades.

Plumbers and Electricians are in more demand that aboriginal basketweaving or trans-cis-queerish-toaster degree graduates.

Considering all the worthless degrees being issued, the "peasants" kids will probably end up making more $$ than the liberal elite's kids if they go into the skilled trades.

Plumbers and Electricians are in more demand that aboriginal basketweaving or trans-cis-queerish-toaster degree graduates.

True, many get a degree and are still working in a restaurant...but if you look at a job listing ,most want at least a BA to even be considered..
One son is a genius on the computer , but to get into a job with a good chance of moving up into the company like Google you need a computer science degree.

I am so mad, fu=ck this rich unqualified hag, who gave the republican party 2 million dollars and was put in to destroy America's education system ... Wow...and below is what she did to make it harder for students to pay back their high student loans..

1hz9lf.jpg
It was a bedwetters dream, IMO. They did it because students cant make payments on time.
How much should people bend the rules for people who are too stupid or lazy to do it right?

1hz9lf.jpg
It was a bedwetters dream, IMO. They did it because students cant make payments on time.
How much should people bend the rules for people who are too stupid or lazy to do it right?
BTW I believe she stated she was going to work on another program. One that isn't wasteful and incentive for young adults to fail at life.

Liberals: Rewarding failure until even after all the money is gone, and then blaming Trump. Winner!

Plumbers and Electricians also attend college; at least around here it is a two year degree from the community college.

What is so positive about the Upward Bound program is that it is tailored for high school students whose parents/family members never went to college. I have worked with very smart students who viewed college as something elitist and foreign that didn't apply to them, simply because no one in their family has ever gone. Some parents who didn't attend college have the negative attitudes of some of the posters here, and some just never even considered that for their kids. Upward Bound gives juniors a chance to see what college is actually about--they even stay in the dorms during the summer break for awhile and there is a lot of support around career exploration and applying to college/finding funding if they choose to do that. It's a worthwhile program that helps break the poverty cycle better than handouts. Republicans should be all for it.

And the excruciatingly minor formatting violations that nixed these applications make no sense. They should at least be given a small window of opportunity to resubmit. I am suspicious that so many applications by colleges that have been filling these out successfully for years are being rejected. 10 mil is a chunk of change, after all. In my opinion, it is not a good program to cut. It is too effective in helping kids out of the poverty/uneducated spiral.

True, many get a degree and are still working in a restaurant...but if you look at a job listing ,most want at least a BA to even be considered..
One son is a genius on the computer , but to get into a job with a good chance of moving up into the company like Google you need a computer science degree.

A computer science degree is an actual degree, with actual job prospects beyond the 200-300 academic slots which are the only destination for some of the more "out there" degrees.

You don't see Comp Sci, or engineering, or accounting majors slinging latte's, its the "whatever studies" people with that problem.

Plumbers and Electricians also attend college; at least around here it is a two year degree from the community college.

What is so positive about the Upward Bound program is that it is tailored for high school students whose parents/family members never went to college. I have worked with very smart students who viewed college as something elitist and foreign that didn't apply to them, simply because no one in their family has ever gone. Some parents who didn't attend college have the negative attitudes of some of the posters here, and some just never even considered that for their kids. Upward Bound gives juniors a chance to see what college is actually about--they even stay in the dorms during the summer break for awhile and there is a lot of support around career exploration and applying to college/finding funding if they choose to do that. It's a worthwhile program that helps break the poverty cycle better than handouts. Republicans should be all for it.

And the excruciatingly minor formatting violations that nixed these applications make no sense. They should at least be given a small window of opportunity to resubmit. I am suspicious that so many applications by colleges that have been filling these out successfully for years are being rejected. 10 mil is a chunk of change, after all. In my opinion, it is not a good program to cut. It is too effective in helping kids out of the poverty/uneducated spiral.

The progressive lifestyle, a world without consequences. Then fire the person who fucked up. I am tired of people in power not being held accountable for their actions.

I am the first in my direct line to get a 4 year degree, my father got his education in the Navy, and my Mother had a 2 year nursing degree. I didn't need government to tell me to get my ass to college, my parents did. And I got a degree in something worthwhile, Chemical Engineer, not some obscure bullshit social sciences crap.

1hz9lf.jpg

Back when I went to college it was affordable, you could work at a restaurant and pay it off while going to school.

Unless these kids get a scholarship or have rich parents forget it. Getting a BA isn't to expensive if you go to a junior college..but when you transfer over to a university to finish the classes to be able to apply for a good job...it is out of control expensive.
DeVampier will make sure to screw up the Jr. Colleges too.

1hz9lf.jpg
BTW I believe she stated she was going to work on another program. One that isn't wasteful and incentive for young adults to fail at life.

I bet the program that the billionaire clueless woman is working on will benefit the christian schools Harley...mark my word.

Forum List

Back