Despite economy, poverty has grown in America (Pew Research)

I'd hate to live in poverty whether it's in America or anywhere else. It's no way to suffer through life.

According to Pew Research, poverty is growing.

Poverty Grew in One-Third of Counties Despite Strong National Economy

""""The poverty rate grew in 30% of counties between 2016 and 2018, according to a Stateline analysis of U.S. Census Bureau county estimates released this month. The poverty rate is the percentage of people in households earning less than the poverty threshold, currently $25,750 for a family of four.

While the overall poverty rate dropped between 2016 and 2018, from 13% to 12%, states varied widely. In New Jersey and Rhode Island, the poverty rate grew in only one county, compared with 83 in Texas.

The counties with the biggest jumps in poverty ranged across the political and demographic spectrum: from 97% white and solidly Republican-voting Carter County in Kentucky to black-majority, Democratic Bullock County in Alabama.

Most of the biggest increases were in areas both rural and Southern. Those areas generally had residents who lacked job training and skills and industries that suffered downturns......"

This underscores what many of the Dem candidates are saying, especially Warren: that the economy is very good for a small percentage of the country.
Way to search for the turd in the silver lining.

The OP says poverty decreased and the title says it increased.
What a stupid thread.

Of course if you had read the actual link you would understand that both are correct - overall poverty has decreased. This decreased occurred because some areas of the country are doing better, but others are doing much worse. Overall, this percentage of people living in poverty averages out on the lower side, but only in selected areas of the country. Other areas of the country are showing INCREASES in poverty related to systemic foundational problems which are not being addressed in those areas.

Why do you think the administration is creating opportunity zones all over the country.

I'd hate to live in poverty whether it's in America or anywhere else. It's no way to suffer through life.

The solution is simple.

Rules-S.jpg

there are always those that are left behind.

They aren't left behind. They chose to not get on the school bus when they should have. They chose to call in sick to work when they weren't sick. They chose to apply for welfare when they were able bodied. They chose to do drugs instead of focus on the things that mattered.

Very few are "left behind"
Choices matter

""""The poverty rate grew in 30% of counties between 2016 and 2018, according to a Stateline analysis of U.S. Census Bureau county estimates released this month. The poverty rate is the percentage of people in households earning less than the poverty threshold, currently $25,750 for a family of four.

While the overall poverty rate dropped between 2016 and 2018, from 13% to 12%, states varied widely. In New Jersey and Rhode Island, the poverty rate grew in only one county, compared with 83 in Texas.

The counties with the biggest jumps in poverty ranged across the political and demographic spectrum: from 97% white and solidly Republican-voting Carter County in Kentucky to black-majority, Democratic Bullock County in Alabama.

Most of the biggest increases were in areas both rural and Southern. Those areas generally had residents who lacked job training and skills and industries that suffered downturns......"

This underscores what many of the Dem candidates are saying, especially Warren: that the economy is very good for a small percentage of the country.
"While the overall poverty rate dropped between 2016 and 2018, from 13% to 12%, "

So the rate is DOWN and the trend is down......thank you President Trump.

Greg

It's skewed by geography, moron. Read past the 2nd paragraph.
Rural and Southern states, you know, the morons who voted for Trump, are sucking big time.

What makes you think everyone in rural and southern states voted for Trump? There are plenty of Democrats out here in the country.
He's just not all that bright...

The main problem I see is the mindset many middle class Americans see many low income and homeless people. They see them as not equal, not human, like they deserve to be treated badly, they see them as stupid inferiors who don't share equality with them, not worthy even to communicate with, they see them as pesty beggars who just live off the government, they think they are all lazy, they think the only reason they can't find work is because they are lazy, they see them as Hitler saw the Jews; inferiors who should be sent to concentration camps.

After living most my life in very low paying jobs, fighting homelessness, and living off of welfare and the government ,despite having a Master's degree in Education and undergrad degree in Business Administration, this is the way I felt like many middle class Americans saw me and treated me. Recently I lived a lot better as a OTR Truck Driver and now I make 48K a year working in social services, but the previous years were very rough for me.

So the middle classes don't see low income and homeless American's worthy of living off the government and that is why they complain anytime more money is put in social welfare programs. Like these people are better off suffering rather than to be treated good by the government. This is why politicians, especially Republican politicians, don't pass more legislation to help the poor because they fear the rebuke from the Middle Class and that it would ruin their election chances.

Forum List

Back