DeSantis, Once a ‘No’ on Storm Aid, Petitions a President He’s Bashed

As a freshman congressman in 2013, Ron DeSantis was unambiguous: A federal bailout for the New York region after Hurricane Sandy was an irresponsible boondoggle, a symbol of the “put it on the credit card mentality” he had come to Washington to oppose.

“I sympathize with the victims,” he said. But his answer was no.

Nearly a decade later, as his state confronts the devastation and costly destruction wrought by Hurricane Ian, Mr. DeSantis is appealing to the nation’s better angels — and betting on its short memory.

The present circumstances have inspired a less swaggering posture toward a leader whom Mr. DeSantis has long called “Brandon” as a recurring troll, aimed at the man he might like to succeed. “Dear Mr. President,” the governor’s request for a major disaster declaration and federal assistance began on Wednesday.

“Ironically,” said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida, “there’s nobody in America that Ron DeSantis needs more than Joe Biden.”

Some Northeastern lawmakers, including Republicans, have not forgotten how Mr. DeSantis and some of his peers responded when the New York area was under duress. “Year after year, we had given them billions of dollars,” said Peter King, a former Republican congressman from Long Island, alluding to aid packages for Southern states and calling the resistance to Sandy relief his angriest moment in office. “Every one of them comes to New York to raise money. They either go to the Hamptons or they go to Manhattan. And both areas were devastated by Sandy.”

So he is no different than other politicians. I’m just shocked.

ROTFLMBO... It's the old people who created the wealth, otherwise and by the government that was also created by the old people, it took a percentage of that wealth in order to ensure them a subsidy income when they got into their older year's and couldn't no longer work. They did this for their elders when they were young, and the young should have no qualms at doing the same for them while they are young. But the system is broken because of the corruption and evil politician's that have broken the system. It's really unforgivable what they done, and how it's tolerated is beyond my understanding.

Then we get this cognitive mess causing the working citizen's to lose their aces off in their 401ks, and worse losing any raises they gained during the Trump year's.

It's really a sickening situation.

In a lot of cases, old people who earned a good living, lived within their means, invested well, and kept themselves in good shape are fine. Unfortunately, that ain't the majority. Hence the need for SS and Medicare to supplement whatever they've got. And sorry, you need young Chinese, Indians, and Mexicans to contribute to the tax base.

You just put it out there didn't you ?
Or so you would like to think. :blahblah:
So you are a leftist
Nope.
who thinks that we are over populated,
Yep. We're getting there. 330,000,000 (one third of a billion) souls is enough. We don't need to be dragging-in more.
otherwise similar to a Nazi looking at the Jew's as some sort of ameba that needs to be dealt with eh ??
Nope. Not even close. But unchecked population growth has doubled (plus change) our head count within living memory.

We don't need to aggravate the situation by surrendering our Southern border and letting all of Central and South America come in.

So you are a globalist that believes in this modern futuristic Utopia that will have a lifestyle and culture that you believe in,
You're so full of $hit that it's downright embarrassing. :itsok: ...what are you... like... 15 years old?
and to hell with that which you consider Expendables who need to be snuffed out before their born or either dealt with afterwards maybe ??
See above ( "...full of..." )

I have seen numerous threads on this and what many seem to ignore is numerous members of Congress opposed this bill because of the non storm relief pork that was in it. Taking partisan garbage that could never pass on its own and putting in a bill that is popular or needed is SOP with both parties. Here is an idea make a law that no non disaster related stuff can be put in a disaster relief bill.

Put it on DeathSantis' credit card.
Character%20I-X2-S.jpg

As a freshman congressman in 2013, Ron DeSantis was unambiguous: A federal bailout for the New York region after Hurricane Sandy was an irresponsible boondoggle, a symbol of the “put it on the credit card mentality” he had come to Washington to oppose.

“I sympathize with the victims,” he said. But his answer was no.

Nearly a decade later, as his state confronts the devastation and costly destruction wrought by Hurricane Ian, Mr. DeSantis is appealing to the nation’s better angels — and betting on its short memory.

The present circumstances have inspired a less swaggering posture toward a leader whom Mr. DeSantis has long called “Brandon” as a recurring troll, aimed at the man he might like to succeed. “Dear Mr. President,” the governor’s request for a major disaster declaration and federal assistance began on Wednesday.

“Ironically,” said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida, “there’s nobody in America that Ron DeSantis needs more than Joe Biden.”

Some Northeastern lawmakers, including Republicans, have not forgotten how Mr. DeSantis and some of his peers responded when the New York area was under duress. “Year after year, we had given them billions of dollars,” said Peter King, a former Republican congressman from Long Island, alluding to aid packages for Southern states and calling the resistance to Sandy relief his angriest moment in office. “Every one of them comes to New York to raise money. They either go to the Hamptons or they go to Manhattan. And both areas were devastated by Sandy.”

I heard this discussed on the radio, and as I suspected, this whole thread is a gigantic LIE cooked up by Fagnus.

Previously DeSantis was arguing about the merits of how to deal with the issue, not that it shouldnt be dealt with. As always, democrats just want to throw a bucket of money at a problems and hope a few of the dollars do a little bit of good. DeSanitis said, No, that is not the way to deal with this issue.

Today, it is an entirely different matter. Today he is actually doing his job as governor applying for the disaster aid. Its an application, not a discussion of the mechanics of how aid is paid for and delivered.

Once again, we have another lying sack of shit Democrat spewing out fake news propaganda.

Fagnus is full of shit

What a piece of shit DiSantis is
Mixed reaction.

I deplored his willingness to suppress data about the pandemic, believing it to be both irresponsible and dangerous to the public good.

But I believe that his anti-Illegals stance is genuine and, like that of Abbot of Texas, both on-target and courageous, in a political sense.

If Desantis is the price that must be paid to wean the Republican Party back into the camp of sane, rational America, then so be it.

Mixed reaction.

I deplored his willingness to suppress data about the pandemic, believing it to be both irresponsible and dangerous to the public good.

But I believe that his anti-Illegals stance is genuine and, like that of Abbot of Texas, both on-target and courageous, in a political sense.

If Desantis is the price that must be paid to wean the Republican Party back into the camp of sane, rational America, then so be it.
His anti-illegal stance is genuine?

He went to TEXAS to get his illegals to ship to Martha’s Vineyard!

That’s your idea of genuine?

Mixed reaction.

DiSantis is Trump in different packaging

I have seen numerous threads on this and what many seem to ignore is numerous members of Congress opposed this bill because of the non storm relief pork that was in it. Taking partisan garbage that could never pass on its own and putting in a bill that is popular or needed is SOP with both parties. Here is an idea make a law that no non disaster related stuff can be put in a disaster relief bill.
Each bill needs to be stand alone or something closely related. The infrastructure bill is an example of corruption. among the other Prog bills.

Each bill needs to be stand alone or something closely related. The infrastructure bill is an example of corruption. among the other Prog bills.
Horse shit

Aid for emergencies is aid for emergencies.

You're trying to excuse DiSantis and the GOP being scumbags

His anti-illegal stance is genuine?

He went to TEXAS to get his illegals to ship to Martha’s Vineyard!

That’s your idea of genuine?
Indeed.

He is so against Illegal Immigration and he so much wants potential presidential voters nationwide to KNOW that he is against Illegal Immigration that he went out of his way to help one of the swamped border states to flush a few dozen as a way of expressing solidarity with Texas in a meaningful symbolic way.

That does, indeed, meet my own criteria for "genuine" in this context.

Last edited:
To me, Rump was largely Right Message, Wrong Messenger...

Desantis might very well prove to be Right Message, Right Messenger...

The "packaging" matters... :cool:
Trump's message was as wrong as he was...same for DiSantis

Forum List

Back