DeSantis, Once a ‘No’ on Storm Aid, Petitions a President He’s Bashed

As a freshman congressman in 2013, Ron DeSantis was unambiguous: A federal bailout for the New York region after Hurricane Sandy was an irresponsible boondoggle, a symbol of the “put it on the credit card mentality” he had come to Washington to oppose.

“I sympathize with the victims,” he said. But his answer was no.

Nearly a decade later, as his state confronts the devastation and costly destruction wrought by Hurricane Ian, Mr. DeSantis is appealing to the nation’s better angels — and betting on its short memory.

The present circumstances have inspired a less swaggering posture toward a leader whom Mr. DeSantis has long called “Brandon” as a recurring troll, aimed at the man he might like to succeed. “Dear Mr. President,” the governor’s request for a major disaster declaration and federal assistance began on Wednesday.

“Ironically,” said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida, “there’s nobody in America that Ron DeSantis needs more than Joe Biden.”

Some Northeastern lawmakers, including Republicans, have not forgotten how Mr. DeSantis and some of his peers responded when the New York area was under duress. “Year after year, we had given them billions of dollars,” said Peter King, a former Republican congressman from Long Island, alluding to aid packages for Southern states and calling the resistance to Sandy relief his angriest moment in office. “Every one of them comes to New York to raise money. They either go to the Hamptons or they go to Manhattan. And both areas were devastated by Sandy.”

Procedure? For the people?
No matter their political views? Isn’t that what a public servant is supposed to do?

Retard. DeSantis was in Congress. His vote mattered. He wasn't an ordinary citizen shooting off his mouth.

When the storm hit NY, he could care less. Now that disaster strikes closer to home? He changes his tune and begs for funds.

That is what is known as hypocrisy. You idiots won't recognize it because you swallow the party line hook, line, and sinker. Let me know if you are still confused. :itsok:
When the Storm hit NY he could care less ROTFLMBO.... It took every bit of energy for a storm to reach NY let alone do the damage that they usually do on the southern coastline's. I Garantee you that the situation was alledgedly pounced upon in hopes to use it to justify some sort of added slush money that would be used inappropriately by government in either one unrelated way or another.

Ralm Emanuel didn't come up with his saying out of thin air. You know " never let a good crisis go to waste". A pattern had developed over the year's, and government has been using it more and more and more over the year's. Both sides are probably guilty of it, because it became as a norm among business practices among government bodies throughout the decades.

It's how they roll, so anyone reading this thread take heed. These Democrat's are some crafty word salad maker's trying to get their way. Beware America, and know them when you hear or see them.
It is what they do.
Even CNN...wait..no.. even MSNBC's!! own economic correspondent openly admitted that Biden's "Inflation reduction Act" - doesn't address inflation and will not lower it.
But if it was a bill in congress, and republicans voted against it - Democrats would say "Look!! - Republicans don't care about inflation!! They voted against the inflation Reduction Act!!"" - EVIL!!!

As a freshman congressman in 2013, Ron DeSantis was unambiguous: A federal bailout for the New York region after Hurricane Sandy was an irresponsible boondoggle, a symbol of the “put it on the credit card mentality” he had come to Washington to oppose.

“I sympathize with the victims,” he said. But his answer was no.

Nearly a decade later, as his state confronts the devastation and costly destruction wrought by Hurricane Ian, Mr. DeSantis is appealing to the nation’s better angels — and betting on its short memory.

The present circumstances have inspired a less swaggering posture toward a leader whom Mr. DeSantis has long called “Brandon” as a recurring troll, aimed at the man he might like to succeed. “Dear Mr. President,” the governor’s request for a major disaster declaration and federal assistance began on Wednesday.

“Ironically,” said David Jolly, a former Republican congressman from Florida, “there’s nobody in America that Ron DeSantis needs more than Joe Biden.”

Some Northeastern lawmakers, including Republicans, have not forgotten how Mr. DeSantis and some of his peers responded when the New York area was under duress. “Year after year, we had given them billions of dollars,” said Peter King, a former Republican congressman from Long Island, alluding to aid packages for Southern states and calling the resistance to Sandy relief his angriest moment in office. “Every one of them comes to New York to raise money. They either go to the Hamptons or they go to Manhattan. And both areas were devastated by Sandy.”

struth

Bigger or the severity is better to you. No matter when the results prove it to be destructive.
I agree with you, but people are saying this one is the worst because of global warming. I was just letting them know there were 21 stronger ones. I have alot of family that lives in Charleston, worried about them.

I agree with you, but people are saying this one is the worst because of global warming. I was just letting them know there were 21 stronger ones. I have alot of family that lives in Charleston, worried about them.
I hope the best for all and their roof is still on and no water damage. Being without electricity is going to suck for many.

Yes.

The old "labor shortage" argument... now augmented by post-pandemic sluggishness to re-engage in the workforce.

Pay American workers more and introduce more automation into low-end worker-bee -type jobs.

I will pay my fair share of "more" as a consumer.

Worker-Bee Visas are OK too... but only as very temporary seasonal permits with close monitoring of whereabouts and enforced exit times.

We are a nation of 330,000,000+ souls... that's a third-of-a-billion.

There is no need for even one single new immigrant for years to come.

If we cannot find what we need amongst our existing human talent-pool then we don't need it.

It's time to declare (and vigorously enforce) a 10- or 20-year moratorium on ALL immigration and to choke-off all but a limited No. of asylum applications.

16 percent of our population is over 65 and not interested in working 40+ hours a week and that population is growing and not getting healthier. Most economists would laugh at what you propose.

16 percent of our population is over 65 and not interested in working 40+ hours a week and that population is growing and not getting healthier. Most economists would laugh at what you propose.
That's OK.. let 'em laugh... we turned ourselves into a superpower with half the souls (140,000,000 -ish) we have now... the herd could use a little thinning.

We cannot let economics continue to drive us towards the abyss of overcrowding and third-world status... it's gotta end someplace... time to bite the bullet.

Desantis appears to understand this.

That's OK.. let 'em laugh... we turned ourselves into a superpower with half the souls (140,000,000 -ish) we have now... the herd could use a little thinning.

We turned ourselves into a superpower because Europe went broke fighting wars.

We cannot let economics continue to drive us towards the abyss of overcrowding and third-world status... it's gotta end someplace... time to bite the bullet.

Easy to say, but a lot of old people want social security, medicare, and all kinds of other shit. And it's not old people who pay for it

You just put it out there didn't you ? So you are a leftist who thinks that we are over populated, otherwise similar to a Nazi looking at the Jew's as some sort of ameba that needs to be dealt with eh ?? So you are a globalist that believes in this modern futuristic Utopia that will have a lifestyle and culture that you believe in, and to hell with that which you consider Expendables who need to be snuffed out before their born or either dealt with afterwards maybe ??

Last edited:
We turned ourselves into a superpower because Europe went broke fighting wars.

Easy to say, but a lot of old people want social security, medicare, and all kinds of other shit. And it's not old people who pay for it
ROTFLMBO... It's the old people who created the wealth, otherwise and by the government that was also created by the old people, it took a percentage of that wealth in order to ensure them a subsidy income when they got into their older year's and couldn't no longer work. They did this for their elders when they were young, and the young should have no qualms at doing the same for them while they are young. But the system is broken because of the corruption and evil politician's that have broken the system. It's really unforgivable what they done, and how it's tolerated is beyond my understanding.

Then we get this cognitive mess causing the working citizen's to lose their aces off in their 401ks, and worse losing any raises they gained during the Trump year's.

It's really a sickening situation.

Forum List

Back