Deregulation cost Texans more

The Wall Street Journal says Texans have paid 28 Billion dollars higher under deregulation than consumers in other states with regulations.
Which regulations are they missing?

To the question "when" this amount is spanning, it is since 2004.

Nearly 20 years ago, Texas shifted from using full-service regulated utilities to generate power and deliver it to consumers. The state deregulated power generation, creating the system that failed last week. And it required nearly 60% of consumers to buy their electricity from one of many retail power companies, rather than a local utility.

In other words our provider here (Oncor) sublets utilities to hundreds of companies here in the state, rather than doing it themselves. They are the local utility - but Texas has retail power companies that act as the middle man.

In short: Let's say you buy insurance. Well, you want a reputable company right? With a large brand...probably someone you have heard of and know by name. Someone with a track record. So you go with, let's say, Geico. That's cool. I doubt you would want to go with "Mom and Pop's Insurance Emporium" and then when you go to a make a claim, it's a crock.

But in Texas, in order to get your electricity, there are about 200 companies you can choose from and they're all offering you some kind of deal or rebate or maybe even a NEST system for free for joining. But wait, about 175 of these companies are start-ups you've never heard of...never seen a commercial for 'em...no idea if they'll answer when you call customer service...Yeah. Most Texans are getting their power from these little no-name companies and brands with no track record.

When I buy a product, I want a brand and a reputation behind it. Texas deregulation made it so that that is not a thing here. It's a corporate, Capitalist shitfest of a system meant to benefit shareholders and utility start-up CEO's.

Last edited:
The Wall Street Journal says Texans have paid 28 Billion dollars higher under deregulation than consumers in other states with regulations.
Nearly 20 years ago, Texas shifted from using full-service regulated utilities to generate power and deliver it to consumers. The state deregulated power generation, creating the system that failed last week. And it required nearly 60% of consumers to buy their electricity from one of many retail power companies, rather than a local utility.

In other words our provider here (Oncor) sublets utilities to hundreds of companies here in the state, rather than doing it themselves. They are the local utility - but Texas has retail power companies that act as the middle man.

In short: Let's say you buy insurance. Well, you want a reputable company right? With a large brand...probably someone you have heard of and know by name. Someone with a track record. So you go with, let's say, Geico. That's cool. I doubt you would want to go with "Mom and Pop's Insurance Emporium" and then when you go to a make a claim, it's a crock.

But in Texas, in order to get your electricity, there are about 200 companies you can choose from and they're all offering you some kind of deal or rebate or maybe even a NEST system for free for joining. But wait, about 175 of these companies are start-ups you've never heard of...never seen a commercial for 'em...no idea if they'll answer when you call customer service...Yeah. Most Texans are getting their power from these little no-name companies and brands with no track record.

When I buy a product, I want a brand and a reputation behind it. Texas deregulation made it so that that is not a thing here. It's a corporate, Capitalist shitfest of a system meant to benefit shareholders and utility start-up CEO's.
Just about every state has local utility companies, as well as regional power grids.

Now I asked what regulations they don’t have. You didn’t answer my question.

Just about every state has local utility companies, as well as regional power grids.

Go look at the way they exchange power and their rates in the last few weeks adn you'll know

Power is capped in illinois, i will never see a 6k bill they can't just gouge irrelvant of the actual market value of the energy i receive. The providers will only be able to legally pay so much then they can't turn a profit so they wont' buy.

I could look up the relevant regulations but I don't need to. That's basic governance

We were jailing people for scalping toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Yea you can't gouge energy prices in a blizzard for fucks sake

WHole thing reeks of enron

That poster can never back up their cock eyed claims. What the report is saying is that those Texans who buy direct from the supplier instead of buying through the local government utility pay a higher rate. In my state, it is the opposite. Buying through your local government instead of directly from the power company usually bumps your rate up a few cents per KW/h. Unfortunately, we don't have a choice as local governments can create utility monopolies. All my water gas and electric gets paid to my city.

Just for clarification, the average rate in Texas is 12.2/KWh. The average rate in California is 22.26/KWH. ( Electricity Rates by State (February 2021) | ChooseEnergy.com® ) The argument that not having regulations costs people more simply doesn't hold water.

All my water gas and electric gets paid to my city.-Dekster

Yeah, can you not attack me and then say exactly what i just said.

Just for clarification, the average rate in Texas is 12.2/KWh. The average rate in California is 22.26/KWH. ( Electricity Rates by State (February 2021) | ChooseEnergy.com® ) The argument that not having regulations costs people more simply doesn't hold water.

Just for clarification, the average Texan was freezing to death last week with no power.

Last edited:

Go look at the way they exchange power and their rates in the last few weeks adn you'll know

Power is capped in illinois, i will never see a 6k bill they can't just gouge irrelvant of the actual market value of the energy i receive. The providers will only be able to legally pay so much then they can't turn a profit so they wont' buy.

I could look up the relevant regulations but I don't need to. That's basic governance

We were jailing people for scalping toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Yea you can't gouge energy prices in a blizzard for fucks sake

WHole thing reeks of enron

This issue isn’t billing by the utility companies. The issue is the power outage, and the supposed “deregulation” that caused it.

The billing issues only applied to a very small percentage of people on a special program, and will likely get their bills fixed by the utility company or the state.

"Boy, these prices on energy sure are great...right Jed? Jed? ...Jed?

boris-grishenko-20090224055450020-000.jpg
"

- Dekster

Coming as a surprise to no one.

Yet conservatives will continue to adhere blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative fiscal dogma.
What does politics have to do with it?
Politics has Everything to do with it! That's why people are calling on Abbott to re-----you know what it's like 1 in the morning and you're not even trying.

Yet conservatives will continue to adhere blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative fiscal dogma.
Politics has Everything to do with it! That's why people are calling on Abbott to re-----you know what it's like 1 in the morning and you're not even trying.
No, libtards are calling on Abbot to resign, because they make everything about politics.

No, libtards are calling on Abbot to resign, because they make everything about politics.
Last post tonight for me. Read it dude...5 members of Texas' electrical grid board have resigned in shame. It's a political matter. Congress is going to look into it.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess 6 resigned now. So another person now.

Name the regulations that would had prevented this power outage.-theHawk

Read this...you can see how close Texas was to total meltdown and grid failure.

Last post tonight for me. Read it dude...5 members of Texas' electrical grid board have resigned in shame. It's a political matter. Congress is going to look into it.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess 6 resigned now. So another person now.

Name the regulations that would had prevented this power outage.-theHawk

Read this...you can see how close Texas was to total meltdown and grid failure.

Yes, because Texas relies way too much on Wind, and natural gas. Even one of their nuclear plants shut down because of the cold. They bought into the Green Energy hoax, and paid the price. Now idiots on the left want them to go more into Green a Energy.

Forum List

Back