Dental Implants

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
At 74 years old, my teeth have started letting me down. I switched dentists recently (my dentist retired), and out of the blue she told me that I needed "some" extractions - by an oral surgeon, of course - and a couple other teeth that need work, one will require a root canal.

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out. I am currently four days out from that procedure, and based on exploration with my tongue and bathroom mirror, I have at least three conspicuous holes in my mouth where teeth ought to be. They are not close to one another, so I don't know whether "false teeth" would be feasible, or I would have to spring for three separate implants.

There is also the question of whether my jawbone is sufficient to support implants. I'm waiting for feedback from the oral surgeon or my old doctor on that point.

But it is a very frustrating effort indeed to get an estimate of the cost for a dental implant. I see endless advertisements for dental offices that guarantee best prices, and thousands of dollars of savings, but they will not even put a range of costs out there. "Set up an appointment for a consultation."

No. I want to have some idea in advance. Anyone reading this been through a similar process?

At 74 years old, my teeth have started letting me down. I switched dentists recently (my dentist retired), and out of the blue she told me that I needed "some" extractions - by an oral surgeon, of course - and a couple other teeth that need work, one will require a root canal.

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out. I am currently four days out from that procedure, and based on exploration with my tongue and bathroom mirror, I have at least three conspicuous holes in my mouth where teeth ought to be. They are not close to one another, so I don't know whether "false teeth" would be feasible, or I would have to spring for three separate implants.

There is also the question of whether my jawbone is sufficient to support implants. I'm waiting for feedback from the oral surgeon or my old doctor on that point.

But it is a very frustrating effort indeed to get an estimate of the cost for a dental implant. I see endless advertisements for dental offices that guarantee best prices, and thousands of dollars of savings, but they will not even put a range of costs out there. "Set up an appointment for a consultation."

No. I want to have some idea in advance. Anyone reading this been through a similar process?
They are very expensive. I had one because it was a front tooth and it wasn’t covered by insurance. Because I had bone loss as well, they had to do more and the entire procedure took a long time required a bone graft. I’d do it again because it is a front tooth, I don’t think I would for molord though. What about a bridge?

They make it sound fast and inexpensive

Yes, the implant is done in less than an hour and recovery is fairly quick. But you have to wait three months before you can have the crowns put in.
The crowns cost as much as the implant

They make it sound fast and inexpensive

Yes, the implant is done in less than an hour and recovery is fairly quick. But you have to wait three months before you can have the crowns put in.
The crowns cost as much as the implant
Exactly!

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out.

DGS49

For the love of God, buddy, get a second (third, fourth) opinion before removing your teeth.

Elizabeth Warren has a plan for this. As does Bernie Sanders. But some people insist on voting against their real personal interests in favor of vague issues that don't affect them one bit, but still make them "mad as hell".

Tooth extractions are a big mistake. A root canal is the best option. But if you have several teeth missing you might want to just get dentures.

If you brush your teeth regularly, and if they are not bothering you I think you should keep them.

They can build up the bone where the implants go, it will be 3-4 month process for that to set up. Fun times, the drugs are good at procedure time though.

If you have good teeth either side of the missing teeth you can do just fine with a bridge.

Anyone who tells you you need to have teeth pulled, that aren't hurting you, is IMO a scam artist.

Get a 2nd opinion.

At 62 my teeth have gotten bad too. Right now I have 4 missing teeth. I opted to have them extracted bc they were near the back. To get them replaced with some bridgework, I was quoted $11,500. I decided to go down to Mexico since I know many expats and went to a highly recommended dentist in puerto Vallarta. She quoted me $3200 for the same. While I was there she extracted a broken tooth and gave me a cleaning for $55 USD. I’m going back in March for her to finish the job with my bridgework.

I am facing some extractions and implants but my oral surgeon gave me a firm amount that this will cost me. (The amount is HUGE for someone like me.) And I will need new partials that will cost extra on top of that but my dental insurance helps more with those. It does not cover the implants at all. You should be able to get a firm amount that the procedure will cost from your oral surgeon before you agree to the procedure.

If you have good teeth either side of the missing teeth you can do just fine with a bridge.

Anyone who tells you you need to have teeth pulled, that aren't hurting you, is IMO a scam artist.
Not necessarily. I’m almost 75 now and my dentist, with a good rep, did a bridge across two front teeth that were very loose and had to go, but soon it became obvious the bridge was weakening a supposedly strong incisor that held the bridge. In the end four teeth and my beautiful bridge had to go after only two years.

I had already lost molars and my lower jaw bone was receding sharply. I should probably have had implants from the start, and I suspect my dentist, who doesn’t himself do implants, simply made a mistake in not telling me to see his oral surgeon.

I am finally facing the reality that all my mandible (lower) teeth should go and I will need a “4 or more” implant supported orthodontic replacement of all my lower teeth. Because of my bone loss there I don’t trust the cheap well-advertised “All on four” “one-day procedure” places I visited and got second opinions from.

I have had months of bone buildup from my dentist office’s excellent but expensive oral surgeon, where six front teeth once were. I will need four or more implants (they actually fuse with and prevent further bone loss). I’m scheduled to get my implants in March.

To save money and due to other complex reasons I have opted for a full arch implant-supported but nightly removable denture, which I can later switch to a more expensive permanent one if I wish. It will cost me about $18,000 going forward, and I will have to give up my remaining molars (two actually supporting a bridged pontif).

My dentist & oral surgeon have discounted the price since the new teeth being removed include also ones with root canals and crowns that they put in over the last four or five years.

Damn expensive and depressing! And then I will need to start on problems with my upper teeth! I will have to endure more months of waiting and eating very soft food while the implants set. Much of my previous expense for work is of course lost.

I know plenty of people who have spent up to $40,000 or more for one new upper or lower permanent orthodontic arch. Of course cheaper “partial” teeth replacements are preferable in many cases, either with implants or using bridges or removable overdentures like our parents used to wear.

Everybody’s tooth problems are different and you need to understand your options, consider your finances, do your homework, and consider your age too.

I wish you — and me too — good luck!

Last edited:
Not necessarily. I’m almost 75 now and my dentist, with a good rep, did a bridge across two front teeth that were very loose and had to go, but soon it became obvious the bridge was weakening a supposedly strong incisor that held the bridge. In the end four teeth and my beautiful bridge had to go after only two years.

I had already lost molars and my lower jaw bone was receding sharply. I should probably have had implants from the start, and I suspect my dentist, who doesn’t himself do implants, simply made a mistake in not telling me to see his oral surgeon.

I am finally facing the reality that all my mandible (lower) teeth should go and I will need a “4 or more” implant supported orthodontic replacement of all my lower teeth. Because of my bone loss there I don’t trust the cheap well-advertised “All on four” “one-day procedure” places I visited and got second opinions from.

I have had months of bone buildup from my dentist office’s excellent but expensive oral surgeon, where six front teeth once were. I will need four or more implants (they actually fuse with and prevent further bone loss). I’m scheduled to get my implants in March.

To save money and due to other complex reasons I have opted for a full arch implant-supported but nightly removable denture, which I can later switch to a more expensive permanent one if I wish. It will cost me about $18,000 going forward, and I will have to give up my remaining molars (two actually supporting a bridged pontif).

My dentist & oral surgeon have discounted the price since the new teeth being removed include also ones with root canals and crowns that they put in over the last four or five years.

Damn expensive and depressing! And then I will need to start on problems with my upper teeth! I will have to endure more months of waiting and eating very soft food while the implants set. Much of my previous expense for work is of course lost.

I know plenty of people who have spent up to $40,000 or more for one new upper or lower permanent orthodontic arch. Of course cheaper “partial” teeth replacements are preferable in many cases, either with implants or using bridges or removable overdentures like our parents used to wear.

Everybody’s tooth problems are different and you need to understand your options, consider your finances, do your homework, and consider your age too.

I wish you — and me too — good luck!
At that point I think dentures are the better way to go to be honest.

I'm 80 now, and I have had three implants done, but my dentist is a long time friend and I can get an implant done for 1600. But, if I was paying the real cost I would simply have a cheap bridge done, and wait for my teeth to fall out and then get dentures.

It costs a lot of money for implants.
I fell of a roof when I was 17 and it really screwed up my teeth. I shattered the majority of my molars.
I dealt with bridge work for years before I finally had to give up.
I finally said the hell with it and got implants and I dont regret it in the least.

Get a 2nd opinion.
A second opinion is always good, but pain isn’t necessarily going to be there. The front tooth I had pulled had no pain. The first time, I had a root canal done it. No tooth pain ever, but an abscess had developed and they found the tooth was dead and had been for some time. Root canal lasted around 10 years, then another abscess and they discovered it had cracked and couldn’t saved.

A second opinion is always good, but pain isn’t necessarily going to be there. The front tooth I had pulled had no pain. The first time, I had a root canal done it. No tooth pain ever, but an abscess had developed and they found the tooth was dead and had been for some time. Root canal lasted around 10 years, then another abscess and they discovered it had cracked and couldn’t saved.
Abcesses are a completely different animal. Upper jaw abscesses can be lethal, so they must ALWAYS be dealt with.
But my comment was based on no mention of an abcess.

Just to be clear.

Forum List

Back