Dental Implants

At 74 years old, my teeth have started letting me down. I switched dentists recently (my dentist retired), and out of the blue she told me that I needed "some" extractions - by an oral surgeon, of course - and a couple other teeth that need work, one will require a root canal.

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out. I am currently four days out from that procedure, and based on exploration with my tongue and bathroom mirror, I have at least three conspicuous holes in my mouth where teeth ought to be. They are not close to one another, so I don't know whether "false teeth" would be feasible, or I would have to spring for three separate implants.

There is also the question of whether my jawbone is sufficient to support implants. I'm waiting for feedback from the oral surgeon or my old doctor on that point.

But it is a very frustrating effort indeed to get an estimate of the cost for a dental implant. I see endless advertisements for dental offices that guarantee best prices, and thousands of dollars of savings, but they will not even put a range of costs out there. "Set up an appointment for a consultation."

No. I want to have some idea in advance. Anyone reading this been through a similar process?
/——/ I’m 72 and face almost the exact same dental problem. I’m going for the 2 implants I need.

Abcesses are a completely different animal. Upper jaw abscesses can be lethal, so they must ALWAYS be dealt with.
But my comment was based on no mention of an abcess.

Just to be clear.

Thats spot on. My brother in law was 57 and refused to go treat an abscess in the upper jaw. He thought he could treat it with herbs and a holistic approach without taking a simple antibiotic. It killed him.

I have no insurance and have resources, but I am a cheap bastard.

As my mouth heals I realize that I COULD eat like this for the long term. If it becomes a question of living with inconvenience or putting fifty grand in my mouth...not sure which way I will go.

Again, thankfully, none of this is visible.

Thanks for the insights.

At 74 years old, my teeth have started letting me down. I switched dentists recently (my dentist retired), and out of the blue she told me that I needed "some" extractions - by an oral surgeon, of course - and a couple other teeth that need work, one will require a root canal.

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out. I am currently four days out from that procedure, and based on exploration with my tongue and bathroom mirror, I have at least three conspicuous holes in my mouth where teeth ought to be. They are not close to one another, so I don't know whether "false teeth" would be feasible, or I would have to spring for three separate implants.

There is also the question of whether my jawbone is sufficient to support implants. I'm waiting for feedback from the oral surgeon or my old doctor on that point.

But it is a very frustrating effort indeed to get an estimate of the cost for a dental implant. I see endless advertisements for dental offices that guarantee best prices, and thousands of dollars of savings, but they will not even put a range of costs out there. "Set up an appointment for a consultation."

No. I want to have some idea in advance. Anyone reading this been through a similar process?
dang...i had one cavity when i was 13....i made sure i would never go through that again

good luck

Second opinion for sure. There is a LOT of tomfoolery in dentistry. I once had a dentist tell me I needed every filling in my mouth taken out and refilled due to the age of the fillings (!) and I needed expensive orthodontia for migraines. The whole workup was tens of thousands of dollars.

Said screw that, got a second opinion. Second dentist said the migraine claim was baseless and I had ONE cavity that needed filled. Which insurance covered.

As my mouth heals I realize that I COULD eat like this for the long term. If it becomes a question of living with inconvenience or putting fifty grand in my mouth...not sure which way I will go.

Thanks for the insights.
/——/ Here’s my bill estimate:

1705775477071.png

Implants are the kind of thing that sounds good in theory, but if you don't absolutely need them I'd say away.

Can't speak for the American system, but many Brits gallop off to Turkey because they're enticed by cheap implant costs, some died and many need sorted out back in the UK.

So my only thoughts are, don't go with the cheapest, find out if there's a health body that can advise on a proven safe dentist/doctor.

I have three implants and I just chipped a tooth that my dentist said a year ago will have to come out one day so I will be going through it again... its no big deal... it costs some money but you will be glad when its done... they feel like real teeth... you don't want to lose bone so its good you had them taken out... a cheaper way to go would be dentures but implants are better...
Good point, but I just never had any pain in that tooth even before the abscess.
Abscesses are painful... I haven't had one in a long time because I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months... it saves me from worse damage....

I have three implants and I just chipped a tooth that my dentist said a year ago will have to come out one day so I will be going through it again... its no big deal... it costs some money but you will be glad when its done... they feel like real teeth... you don't want to lose bone so its good you had them taken out... a cheaper way to go would be dentures but implants are better...

Abscesses are painful... I haven't had one in a long time because I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months... it saves me from worse damage....
/——/ Me too. Every three months. My bone loss is genetic.

/——/ Me too. Every three months. My bone loss is genetic.
you really have to take into account your age first........is it worth it when someone is 75...probably not

one has to have really good bone structure to begin with for this surgery

obviously comfort, appearance, hygiene, and prevention are the most important thing of anything...but if you are older and can live with it with little bother....live with it

permanent bridges for a few teeth are the best option when age and cost are considered

you really have to take into account your age first........is it worth it when someone is 75...probably not

one has to have really good bone structure to begin with for this surgery

obviously comfort, appearance, hygiene, and prevention are the most important thing of anything...but if you are older and can live with it with little bother....live with it

permanent bridges for a few teeth are the best option when age and cost are considered
/—-/ I’m 72 and I am having the procedure done. The bad tooth had a pocket that caused an infection. In 2 weeks I get the posts implanted.

Thanks for the insights.
i love the fact you are a cheap bastard, that is why i would listen to you about finances than most nimrods here..............but never be cheap enough where your health or well being is concerned if you got the dough...imho

Thanks for the insights.
Rich or poor....we all die with the same wealth.

But it's basically a quality of life issue.

You can either maintain your weight with foods you like to eat or you can't.

And the older you get the fewer foods that will taste good to you.

Even dentures need some teeth or a post to hook onto these days.

Chances are pretty good that you will be eating for another 20 years. Do you want mechanically soft foods or pureed foods? And without the teeth that is going to be your diet at the assisted living facility.

Implants require about 9 months total. (I always say a year) 3 to 4 months after your teeth are extracted and bone grafts put in to heal enough for the hardware in your jaw. Then another 3 to four months following to get the actual tooth and screws.

And it's annoying the whole time. Not necessarily painful but mostly just annoying.

Enjoy eating? Then get the implants. Don't care so much? Then get them all yanked and get dentures. You will have ongoing battles with bad breath with dentures. (Fleas come with the dog)
But your teeth will look perfect....some say too perfect. But it's up to you.

Beware the dental school dentures. They tend to be prone to making horse teeth and are usually about half what a dentist charges. Closing your mouth completely with the false teeth is difficult to say the least. (They tend to stick out forward).

Keeping so.e dignity when older is the hardest thing for most seniors. Having a decent smile is part of that.

Forum List

Back