Democrats Announce Hearing On Trump’s Tax Returns

Corruption doesn't seem to be an "issue" with you.

It is to most people

The IRS has been sniffing Trump's underwear for DECADES!!!!!!!
The haven't found anything to charge him with in all those years.
Trump has hired the best tax lawyers in the WORLD for decades.
The fucking idiot DEMs are circle jerking.

We shall see...rather soon...

You’re the one that thinks trumps tax returns or anyone else’s business but his...

Oddly every other President since Nixon has provided his tax returns. What is Trump hiding?

Democrats will hold the hearing instead of just trying to obtain the documents.

The secrecy of President Donald Trump’s tax returns will be the subject of a hearing next week, Democrats in the House of Representatives announced Thursday.

Democrats have had the power to request Trump’s tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service since they assumed control of the House this year, but they’ve hesitated. To build the public case for disclosure, the House tax committee’s oversight panel will examine its authority to obtain the president’s tax returns at a Feb. 7 hearing.

Trump was the first major presidential candidate in 40 years not to release tax returns, which would have revealed detailed information about his sources of income and how much tax he pays. Democrats vowed to get the returns themselves, but haven’t done it yet.

Pressure is building, with an ABC News/Washington Post poll showing a healthy majority of Americans support the move. Tax March, a coalition of liberal groups, has been pressuring Democrats to hurry up, and Democratic members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus have been getting antsy, too.

Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.), the chairman of the tax committee, has said he wants time “to lay out a case” for the move and that staffers drafting the request are doing it “methodically” and need time.

Trump’s tax returns could show whether he evaded taxes, as a blockbuster New York Times report alleged that he and his father, Fred Trump, did for decades in the 20th century. The returns could also provide information about the sources of financing and debt at his multi-billion dollar real estate business.

As part of the public case, Democrats introduced legislation by Reps. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) and Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) that would require presidential candidates to disclose 10 years of tax returns.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has hinted that he will not comply with the Democrats’ request, which could get tied up in court for months.

More: Democrats Announce Hearing On Trump's Tax Returns

Well, slow but sure - hopefully. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin will likely be forced to turn them over. What do you think?

It's about time. If he is involved in any conflict of interest business ventures as many suspect, one would think that he would gladly be cooperative with Congress in order to put such suspicions to rest.

Congress gave itself the right to review any return or return information in 1924, in the aftermath of two controversies.

One was the Teapot Dome scandal, where senior officials in the Harding Administration granted public oil field leases in exchange for bribes.

The other involved allegations that Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon continued to own many business interests while serving in government. Some believed the Bureau of Internal Revenue, the precursor to the IRS, showed favoritism to the secretary and his businesses.

Of course, we all know that Trump is far too honest an individual to engage in such behavior......ROFLMAO.
of course we know you're the honest individual that will hold ideals and laws evenly even among people you love as well as hate.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i slay me.

I love no one except for my family, and would not waste time hating anyone.

I have no political loyalty. There are crooks on both sides. The current one in office broke a 40 year tradition of making the tax returns of the POTUS available.

The secrecy of President Donald Trump’s tax returns will be the subject of a hearing next week, Democrats in the House of Representatives announced Thursday.

Democrats have had the power to request Trump’s tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service since they assumed control of the House this year, but they’ve hesitated. To build the public case for disclosure, the House tax committee’s oversight panel will examine its authority to obtain the president’s tax returns at a Feb. 7 hearing.

Trump was the first major presidential candidate in 40 years not to release tax returns, which would have revealed detailed information about his sources of income and how much tax he pays. Democrats vowed to get the returns themselves, but haven’t done it yet.

Pressure is building, with an ABC News/Washington Post poll showing a healthy majority of Americans support the move. Tax March, a coalition of liberal groups, has been pressuring Democrats to hurry up, and Democratic members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus have been getting antsy, too.

Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.), the chairman of the tax committee, has said he wants time “to lay out a case” for the move and that staffers drafting the request are doing it “methodically” and need time.

Trump’s tax returns could show whether he evaded taxes, as a blockbuster New York Times report alleged that he and his father, Fred Trump, did for decades in the 20th century. The returns could also provide information about the sources of financing and debt at his multi-billion dollar real estate business.

As part of the public case, Democrats introduced legislation by Reps. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) and Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) that would require presidential candidates to disclose 10 years of tax returns.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has hinted that he will not comply with the Democrats’ request, which could get tied up in court for months.

Well, slow but sure - hopefully. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin will likely be forced to turn them over. What do you think?

It's about time. If he is involved in any conflict of interest business ventures as many suspect, one would think that he would gladly be cooperative with Congress in order to put such suspicions to rest.

Congress gave itself the right to review any return or return information in 1924, in the aftermath of two controversies.

One was the Teapot Dome scandal, where senior officials in the Harding Administration granted public oil field leases in exchange for bribes.

The other involved allegations that Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon continued to own many business interests while serving in government. Some believed the Bureau of Internal Revenue, the precursor to the IRS, showed favoritism to the secretary and his businesses.

Of course, we all know that Trump is far too honest an individual to engage in such behavior......ROFLMAO.

So who has the right to review Congress when they take bribes and grant favors in exchange for them?

The fuckers legalized bribery sometime around Reagan's 2nd Congress, a Republican one, as I recall.

I don't know who has the right, but someoe should.

I'll bet if they ever get to open them for the public they'll find out Trump over paid consistently and the story will go away quietly like when Madcow got one.
You would lose that bet.

of course we know you're the honest individual that will hold ideals and laws evenly even among people you love as well as hate.

i slay me.

Absolutely. I have no political loyalty. There are crooks on both sides. The current one in office broke a 40 year tradition of making the tax returns of the POTUS available.
show me the law that says it's required.

don't give a damn what you and the left wants TODAY cause it suits your purposes, i care that we follow the law and processes on the books that have guided us this far. you wanna discount that because you hate trump and want more crap to dig through, not my problem.

change the law to require public figures to provide "X" number of years of taxes and end the stupid cryfests.

well over 50% of obama initial appointments all had many years of back tax issues and i didn't hear a damn peep out of the left on it. many of these "crimes" no one cared about then are a lot worse than what the left is going after trump and "his side" for.

selective enforcement of our laws is why you got trump.

i slay me.

Absolutely. I have no political loyalty. There are crooks on both sides. The current one in office broke a 40 year tradition of making the tax returns of the POTUS available.

don't give a damn what you and the left wants TODAY cause it suits your purposes, i care that we follow the law and processes on the books that have guided us this far. you wanna discount that because you hate trump and want more crap to dig through, not my problem.

change the law to require public figures to provide "X" number of years of taxes and end the stupid cryfests.

Where did I state that it is required? You are welcome to do your own search to see if there is a law that says so. I don't "hate" Trump. You are ASSuming that to be the case.

i slay me.

well over 50% of obama initial appointments all had many years of back tax issues and i didn't hear a damn peep out of the left on it. many of these "crimes" no one cared about then are a lot worse than what the left is going after trump and "his side" for.

selective enforcement of our laws is why you got trump.
And yet weirdly, no one was prosecuted. But my own personal feeling is that Donald Trump should have the same scrutiny that Obama had from Republicans. Don’t you agree? Nothing else would be fair.

If they find

That he's in debt

Or is doing business with suspicious persons

It will matter.

Otherwise...mehhhhh
/——/ If being in debt is illegal, 3/4 of the country will be locked up. Does anyone add business with “suspicious persons” on their tax return? Have you ever filed a tax return?

He got elected without showing them, so why does congress now have a right to disclose them just to embarrass him?

If they are relevant to show perhaps some motive to conspire with Russians .... then I wouldn't be posting this.

i slay me.

Where did I state that it is required? You are welcome to do your own search to see if there is a law that says so. I don't "hate" Trump. You are ASSuming that to be the case.
you said the current one broke a 40 year tradition. i said i don't give a fuck, it's NOT required. i am pointing out that is NOT required not that you said it is.

ASSume away back at me.

That it's a petty political move that sets a very dangerous precedent if they succeed. Basically, they're weaponizing an opponent's private life. There is no credible accusation of criminality, it is solely an attempt to embarrass the president. It is a search for a crime, and like most things the democrats do like this, will come back to bite them in the butt. For example, instead of Obama being able to keep his school records sealed, a future democrat candidate may be forced to disclose whether he benefited from a foreign student classification. Democrats keep doing this to themselves. They open doors, never imagining that some day in the future, the opposition will march through that same door.

The bill is for tax release in the future. the more we know about those running for the highest office in the land the better it is for voters in making the right choice. as for Trumps taxes as it was not required he is off the hook. but do wonder why with all the negative story's about his taxes & his money you would think he could release them to clear the whole mess up.

Epic fail!

Person posting failed to attach a .pdf file of his/her/its own Federal Income Tax return as a demonstration of good faith.

Well, sparky, if I ever run for president - I promise I will provide 10 years of my tax returns.

Why would you do that? Is there a law requiring a Presidential candidate or even a President to release his tax returns?

Voters have a right to know.

Why? Since there is no law about it, you could just as easily say the voters have a right to see Obama's college records and what papers he wrote. Or that they have a right to know how many times AOC ingested illegal drugs in college.

Face it, the ONLY reason you care about Trump's tax returns is you think you can find something embarrassing in them. You're wanting Congress to use its power to invade a citizen's personal life fishing for a crime. That's a very bad thing to do, and yes, if it's done successfully, a future democrat will have it used against him/her/it and you will crap yourself with rage.

Do dim scum ever stop wasting time and money and work for the people? No, they don't.

Don't bother. Rachael Maddow already broke the story that Trump actually pays millions in taxes.

She only had a few pages - not the ones that would have shown foreign financial entanglements.

Yeah, but the spew at the time was that he wasn't paying taxes at all. The return shut that down in a hurry.

Forum List

Back