Democrats Announce Hearing On Trump’s Tax Returns

Democrats will hold the hearing instead of just trying to obtain the documents.

The secrecy of President Donald Trump’s tax returns will be the subject of a hearing next week, Democrats in the House of Representatives announced Thursday.

Democrats have had the power to request Trump’s tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service since they assumed control of the House this year, but they’ve hesitated. To build the public case for disclosure, the House tax committee’s oversight panel will examine its authority to obtain the president’s tax returns at a Feb. 7 hearing.

Trump was the first major presidential candidate in 40 years not to release tax returns, which would have revealed detailed information about his sources of income and how much tax he pays. Democrats vowed to get the returns themselves, but haven’t done it yet.

Pressure is building, with an ABC News/Washington Post poll showing a healthy majority of Americans support the move. Tax March, a coalition of liberal groups, has been pressuring Democrats to hurry up, and Democratic members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus have been getting antsy, too.

Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.), the chairman of the tax committee, has said he wants time “to lay out a case” for the move and that staffers drafting the request are doing it “methodically” and need time.

Trump’s tax returns could show whether he evaded taxes, as a blockbuster New York Times report alleged that he and his father, Fred Trump, did for decades in the 20th century. The returns could also provide information about the sources of financing and debt at his multi-billion dollar real estate business.

As part of the public case, Democrats introduced legislation by Reps. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) and Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) that would require presidential candidates to disclose 10 years of tax returns.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has hinted that he will not comply with the Democrats’ request, which could get tied up in court for months.

More: Democrats Announce Hearing On Trump's Tax Returns

Well, slow but sure - hopefully. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin will likely be forced to turn them over. What do you think?

That's sooo much better than them doing something positive for their constituents, amirite? Maybe some mass transit here, road improvements there..

Last edited:

The secrecy of President Donald Trump’s tax returns will be the subject of a hearing next week, Democrats in the House of Representatives announced Thursday.

Democrats have had the power to request Trump’s tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service since they assumed control of the House this year, but they’ve hesitated. To build the public case for disclosure, the House tax committee’s oversight panel will examine its authority to obtain the president’s tax returns at a Feb. 7 hearing.

Trump was the first major presidential candidate in 40 years not to release tax returns, which would have revealed detailed information about his sources of income and how much tax he pays. Democrats vowed to get the returns themselves, but haven’t done it yet.

Pressure is building, with an ABC News/Washington Post poll showing a healthy majority of Americans support the move. Tax March, a coalition of liberal groups, has been pressuring Democrats to hurry up, and Democratic members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus have been getting antsy, too.

Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.), the chairman of the tax committee, has said he wants time “to lay out a case” for the move and that staffers drafting the request are doing it “methodically” and need time.

Trump’s tax returns could show whether he evaded taxes, as a blockbuster New York Times report alleged that he and his father, Fred Trump, did for decades in the 20th century. The returns could also provide information about the sources of financing and debt at his multi-billion dollar real estate business.

As part of the public case, Democrats introduced legislation by Reps. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) and Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) that would require presidential candidates to disclose 10 years of tax returns.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has hinted that he will not comply with the Democrats’ request, which could get tied up in court for months.

Well, slow but sure - hopefully. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin will likely be forced to turn them over. What do you think?

Epic fail!

Person posting failed to attach a .pdf file of his/her/its own Federal Income Tax return as a demonstration of good faith.

Well, sparky, if I ever run for president - I promise I will provide 10 years of my tax returns.

Why would you do that? Is there a law requiring a Presidential candidate or even a President to release his tax returns?

Nope and I wouldn't show anyone my tax returns. Its none of their business.

What the House wants to do just shows how useless they all are. Good Lord. They should be attending to the needs of the country, not looking for something they think they can hang on Trump.

Trump and his businesses have probably been audited for years. If there was anything to find the IRS would have found it.

Talk about a waste of time and tax payer dollars. All so they can hope to find something.

Idiots one and all.

If they find

That he's in debt

Or is doing business with suspicious persons

It will matter.

Otherwise...mehhhhh
Four Trumpers laughed at this post.

Does that mean that if his tax returns show those things they wouldn't care?

Epic fail!

Person posting failed to attach a .pdf file of his/her/its own Federal Income Tax return as a demonstration of good faith.
When person posting becomes President I'm sure they will follow ALL presidents in memory who have shown theirs We have a crook in our WH and the blame goes to all republicans

Clever. To evade taxes and the IRS never noticed. IRS auditors never noticed. Adam Schitt will find all those taxes.

This has nothing to do with tax fraud or evasion, this has to do with the Democrat Party demagoguing the tax returns.

The IRS would do well to fight this- the idea that someone's tax returns can be made public because the Deep State wants to destroy them could really hurt voluntary compliance.

Although I believe that the Senate needs to expose Soros' tax return as well as Dave Duke's. Duke gets paid big money by CNN as a contributor, the people need to see the facts.

But then you ain't running for President.

You're just some dumb Trumper on the internet

I am an American citizen and no one has the right to look at my tax returns.

If I were running for POTUS I wouldn't let anyone see my tax returns either.

No one has that right and there is no law that says they do.

You really are stupid.

I think it is stupid as hell and a waste of time and money.

The only positive is that while they are doing this they cannot be fucking over the country with stupid laws.

The only positive is that while they are doing this they cannot be fucking over the country with stupid laws.

Yup it is one stupid idea.

They should be attending to what the country needs. Not having a hearing about Trump's tax returns.

There isn't one working brain cell among the lot of them.

You really are stupid.
You're not interested in seeing how much came from his Russian connections ??

They should be attending to what the country needs. Not having a hearing about Trump's tax returns.

when you say among the lot of them I hope you are talking about 535 of them

You really are stupid.

You are interested in seeing that nothing came from his "Russian connections."

Let us all know who those "Russian connections" are.

when you say among the lot of them I hope you are talking about 535 of them

Every one.

So many scams so little time Wait till they find out what Stone's been hiding And best yet Trump can't pardon himself after he loses next election

So many scams so little time Wait till they find out what Stone's been hiding And best yet Trump can't pardon himself after he loses next election

LMAO You really are as stupid as I think you are.

Carry on dipshit.

You really are stupid.

He's been unsanctioning them since he became president The question remains WHAT does Putin have on him?

You really are stupid.

He's been unsanctioning them since he became president The question remains WHAT does Putin have on him?

That's easy. Nothing.

You really are stupid.

That is proof that Collusion investigation is falling apart and cannot find any dirt on Trump. So their fallback is to look at his tax docs.

LMAO You really are as stupid as I think you are.

Carry on dipshit.
You think???? lol You're one of the asses responsible for this blight on America

That's easy. Nothing.

You really are stupid.

Putin has nothing on Trump?

Why does he act like Putin DOES then?

Apparently it is YOU who are naively stupid...or simply stupidly dishonest

Last edited:

Forum List

Back