Democratic Senator: 'Much of Progressive Agenda is Going to Be Driven' by Obama Using

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
You all voted in a dictator..How lovely
links in artilce at site

SNIP:
January 29, 2013

By Fred Lucas

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio). (AP)

(CNSNews.com) – Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) says that he believes President Obama in his second term will drive the progressive agenda forward with a more aggressive use of executive power.

“We’re going to see a president of the United States use his executive powers as much as he’s allowed to under federal law and under the Constitution, in a more aggressive way than last time,” Brown said in an interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.

Brown added, “You’re going to see the president use the executive powers that are within his constitutional legal authority. I think much of the progressive agenda is going to be driven that way.”

Obama, who recently issued 23 executive orders on gun control, indicated to The New Republic that congressional legislation is a preferred method of operation, not because of the constitutional separation of powers but because a congressionally passed statute was stronger than an executive order.

“I continue to believe that whenever we can codify something through legislation, it is on firmer ground,” Obama said. “It's not going to be reversed by a future president. It is something that will be long lasting and sturdier and more stable.”

The president later said, “What I do see is that there are certain issues where a judicious use of executive power can move the argument forward or solve problems that are of immediate-enough import that we can't afford not to do it.”

Also, during an interview on MSNBC last week, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), said he anticipates that much of the progressive agenda in Obama’s second term will be driven by executive power.

all of it here with comments
Democratic Senator: 'Much of Progressive Agenda is Going to Be Driven' by Obama Using Executive Power | CNS News

Forum List

Back