Democrat Rep on CNN: We don't want Small Businesses

In which state does making $15,000 a year keep a person above the poverty line?

Who said it needs to do that?
Less than 2% of workers make minimum wage and about half of them are 25 and under.
Why should businesses pay full time employees wages that keeps them above the poverty line?! How about so the tax payers don’t need to pay full time workers welfare to keep them afloat despite the fact they are fully employed. That may be a point you agree with

Are you so stupid as to think the commies won't alter the definition of the poverty line as the minimum wage goes up? You can bet your ass they'll move in tandem.

Of course they will, it’s subjective. So what?! What do you think the poverty line is?

Do you think a school kid that works for the minimum wage making spending money and being supported by their parents for all the necessities is living below the poverty line? This one size fits all bullshit is exactly that, BS.
I do think of them. What about them?

Your nonresponse is duly noted.

What do you mean my nonresponse. I asked a question in response. What about the kids? If businesses wants to hire and train kids and that time isn't worth what they pay for min wage then they can do an internship. I don't see the point that you are trying to get to
Why would any kid do an "internship" stocking shelves at a grocery store for no pay? How is getting no pay better than getting minimum wage?
Why couldn't they get paid?
The meaning of "internship" is a job where you don't get paid, moron. You just admitted they wouldn't be4 paid when you said "If businesses wants to hire and train kids and that time isn't worth what they pay for min wage then they can do an internship." in other words, don't pay them, or pay them less than the minimum wage., at any rate.
That’s not the meaning of internship. You should look things up before you make comments like that. It’s too easy to make you look foolish... again
If not, then how will internships help employers avoid paying the $15/hr minimum wage?
I don’t know there isn’t a proposed law that I’ve seen. Perhaps paid internships can compensate for a lower rate since there is training involved

that depends on whether you’re a business owner or an employee. Many employees produce much much more in value than they get paid and those profits go to the business owner. That’s how business works.

If you're an employee and you only produce $10/hour in value, how much should you be paid?
Generally speaking if an employee is producing $10 an hour of value then if the business is going to survive it would need to pay that employee $3-$5 an hour. Of course there are many other factors at play.

If this is the circumstance then the business owner needs to restructure and develop a better business model or train the employee to produce more value.

Generally speaking if an employee is producing $10 an hour of value then if the business is going to survive it would need to pay that employee $3-$5 an hour.

And if a $15/ hour mandate was enacted?

If this is the circumstance then the business owner needs to restructure and develop a better business model or train the employee to produce more value.

Some people just aren't very productive, no matter what the business model or amount of training (like 30 year olds still making minimum wage).
Min wage workers aren’t there to produce business they are there to exacute

Less than 2% of workers make minimum wage and about half of them are 25 and under.
Why should businesses pay full time employees wages that keeps them above the poverty line?! How about so the tax payers don’t need to pay full time workers welfare to keep them afloat despite the fact they are fully employed. That may be a point you agree with

Why should businesses pay full time employees wages that keeps them above the poverty line?!

Exactly.

If you produce $10/hour in value, what should your wages be?

so the tax payers don’t need to pay full time workers welfare to keep them afloat

Would the taxpayer funded welfare be higher or lower without the job?
It’s up to the business owner to run their business to produce adequate value to pay their employees, just as it’s up to them to meet regulations and codes for the states and industries they do business in. A persons time is worth more than poverty. If you work for yourself and you produce $10 an hour of value then that’s what you will get and you likely won’t make it. But if you are going to employee people then you have a responsibility to those employees

Yep, your responsibility is to pay them as agreed, nothing more.

exactly, which is why there is movement to get the minimum agreement higher and better for workers

Yet all it will create is fewer workers, tell the ones put out of a job how much better it is for them. You commies just don't think things through.

What do you mean they don't think it through. Of course they do. Its been analyzed and studied.
It would cost 1.4 million jobs in exchange for raising 900,000 out of poverty.

So you believe that since you're fine with that everyone else should be true?

I marvel at how the leftwing mind works.
No, I don't believe that everybody should feel the same way I do. I actually don't think the $15 min wage should be in this bill, but who cares what I think and feel? Nobody. Can we get back to the debate now? I'm not done schooling you.
So are you fine with everyone opposing the $15/hr minimum wage or not?
Of course I’m fine with people opposing the wage... don’t see why that matters
Then why don't you shut up about it?
Because I don’t want to

that depends on whether you’re a business owner or an employee. Many employees produce much much more in value than they get paid and those profits go to the business owner. That’s how business works.

If you're an employee and you only produce $10/hour in value, how much should you be paid?
Generally speaking if an employee is producing $10 an hour of value then if the business is going to survive it would need to pay that employee $3-$5 an hour. Of course there are many other factors at play.

Generally speaking if an employee is producing $10 an hour of value then if the business is going to survive it would need to pay that employee $3-$5 an hour.

Some people just aren't very productive, no matter what the business model or amount of training (like 30 year olds still making minimum wage).

Why should businesses pay full time employees wages that keeps them above the poverty line?!

Exactly.

so the tax payers don’t need to pay full time workers welfare to keep them afloat

It’s up to the business owner to run their business to produce adequate value to pay their employees, just as it’s up to them to meet regulations and codes for the states and industries they do business in. A persons time is worth more than poverty. If you work for yourself and you produce $10 an hour of value then that’s what you will get and you likely won’t make it. But if you are going to employee people then you have a responsibility to those employees

exactly, which is why there is movement to get the minimum agreement higher and better for workers

Yet all it will create is fewer workers, tell the ones put out of a job how much better it is for them. You commies just don't think things through.

What do you mean they don't think it through. Of course they do. Its been analyzed and studied.

Actually if you read closely it says it COULD cost 1.4 million jobs...or it could cost ZERO jobs.

History favors the latter
No it doesn't, and the laws of economics mean the former is the rule.
Did you just say the laws of economics?! You are cracking me up today!
That cracks you up? I'm not the one claiming the laws of supply and demand don't pertain to the cost of labor.
I’m not claiming that either. Haha, if you need to make things up to win an argument then that’s pretty pathetic
Actually, you are claiming that.
Actually I’m not. I’m literally doing the opposite of that smart guy

Are you so stupid as to think the commies won't alter the definition of the poverty line as the minimum wage goes up? You can bet your ass they'll move in tandem.

Of course they will, it’s subjective. So what?! What do you think the poverty line is?

Do you think a school kid that works for the minimum wage making spending money and being supported by their parents for all the necessities is living below the poverty line? This one size fits all bullshit is exactly that, BS.

What do you mean my nonresponse. I asked a question in response. What about the kids? If businesses wants to hire and train kids and that time isn't worth what they pay for min wage then they can do an internship. I don't see the point that you are trying to get to
Why would any kid do an "internship" stocking shelves at a grocery store for no pay? How is getting no pay better than getting minimum wage?
The meaning of "internship" is a job where you don't get paid, moron. You just admitted they wouldn't be4 paid when you said "If businesses wants to hire and train kids and that time isn't worth what they pay for min wage then they can do an internship." in other words, don't pay them, or pay them less than the minimum wage., at any rate.
That’s not the meaning of internship. You should look things up before you make comments like that. It’s too easy to make you look foolish... again
If not, then how will internships help employers avoid paying the $15/hr minimum wage?
I don’t know there isn’t a proposed law that I’ve seen. Perhaps paid internships can compensate for a lower rate since there is training involved
There is no training involved for jobs that pay minimum wage. That's why they pay minimum wage. You just admitted that your proposed "internships" would get paid less than the proposed $15/hr minimum wage.

Exactly.

No, I don't believe that everybody should feel the same way I do. I actually don't think the $15 min wage should be in this bill, but who cares what I think and feel? Nobody. Can we get back to the debate now? I'm not done schooling you.
Because I don’t want to
In other words you have a problem with people disapproving of the $15/hr minimum wage. You keep taking both sides of the issue.

Exactly.

Actually if you read closely it says it COULD cost 1.4 million jobs...or it could cost ZERO jobs.

That cracks you up? I'm not the one claiming the laws of supply and demand don't pertain to the cost of labor.
I’m not claiming that either. Haha, if you need to make things up to win an argument then that’s pretty pathetic
Wrong. You are just too stupid to realize that you are claiming that.

There is no training involved for jobs that pay minimum wage. That's why they pay minimum wage. You just admitted that your proposed "internships" would get paid less than the proposed $15/hr minimum wage.
If there’s no training and employees working the jobs are executing the work then they should paid a full wage for that work

If there’s no training and employees working the jobs are executing the work then they should paid a full wage for that work
They are.

Exactly.

Because I don’t want to
In other words you have a problem with people disapproving of the $15/hr minimum wage. You keep taking both sides of the issue.
Again, nobody gives a shit what I have a problem with or not. I’m debating the issue, my personal feelings don’t matter. I’m taking the side of defending the wage. You seem to keep bouncing around topics. Are you having a hard time hanging?

Exactly.

I know exactly what I’m claiming. Weren’t you the guy who thought that labor costs effects revenue? You really shouldn’t be giving business or economic advice. You should study up a bit

Exactly.

Because I don’t want to
Again, nobody gives a shit what I have a problem with or not. I’m debating the issue, my personal feelings don’t matter. I’m taking the side of defending the wage. You seem to keep bouncing around topics. Are you having a hard time hanging?
I give a shit that you're a liar and a hypocrite. If you don't care whether people support the $15/hr minimum wage, then you would shut your fucking trap about it. People don't blather continually about stuff they don't care about.

You seem to have a problem with identifying your hypocrisy.

Exactly.

I know exactly what I’m claiming. Weren’t you the guy who thought that labor costs effects revenue? You really shouldn’t be giving business or economic advice. You should study up a bit
Where did you prove that labor costs don't affect revenue?

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) told CNN in an interview on Sunday that he and presumably other Democrats “don’t want low-wage” small businesses as he advocated for increasing the minimum wage. “We don’t want low-wage businesses,” he said when asked if mom and pop shops should be forced to pay employees more. “I think most successful small businesses can pay a fair wage.”

No beating around the bush there. The Rich and big-time Corporations only. F these local businesses who don't succeed by economies of scale. No open market of ideas. If you can't pay what I think you should, you should be erased.

The latest daily example of Leftist totalitarianism.
What is wrong with not wanting businesses that pay low wages? The state has one of the highest cost factors to exist there. The state is number one in the nation with GDP.

What is wrong with not wanting businesses that pay low wages?

Many people lack the skills and experience to get any but a low wage job.
Are they to be trapped on welfare their entire life?

The state is number one in the nation with GDP.

Number one in population.
It is not always about skills but location, lower wages are ok in places where the cost of living is lower yet California is not that place.
True enough.

I live in SoCal and two people making minimum wage can barely make it on what they take home. And if they have kids, forget it. They live hand to mouth.

Why in the ever-loving fuck would you be starting a family on minimum wage? Does the concept of "making wise life decisions" not enter into your thinking ever?
You ASSume too much, I was making an observation - not a confession. Start over.

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) told CNN in an interview on Sunday that he and presumably other Democrats “don’t want low-wage” small businesses as he advocated for increasing the minimum wage. “We don’t want low-wage businesses,” he said when asked if mom and pop shops should be forced to pay employees more. “I think most successful small businesses can pay a fair wage.”

No beating around the bush there. The Rich and big-time Corporations only. F these local businesses who don't succeed by economies of scale. No open market of ideas. If you can't pay what I think you should, you should be erased.

The latest daily example of Leftist totalitarianism.
From your article...

“I love small businesses. I’m all for it. But I don’t want small businesses that are underpaying employees. It’s fair for people to be making what they’re producing and I think $15 is very reasonable in this country.”

The reasoning of a POS commie that more than likely never signed the front side of a paycheck in his life.

“Likely” was that a qualifier showing that you actually have no clue what this guys background is?! What a lazy ass argument

Of course I do, academics, community organizing, worked for a couple of law firms and sucking off the government tit. No business experience. He's a typical commie that thinks he knows what's best for the whole country. You commies need to get a fucking clue, labor is a commodity and the market decides what it's worth. This kind of BS winds up hurting the people they're pretending to help. $15.00 happy meal, anyone?

Funny how the "market" is supposed to determine wages but we don't allow for that where a business failing comes into play. When that is the question it's then the governments place to step in and provide trillions to keep it afloat.

Typical commie, perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the "takings clause". Then you might understand.

No clue what you are talking about and really, neither do you.

Of course you don't, unlike you I actually know what's in the Constitution. And I see you're too fucking lazy to even google it. You're dismissed commie.

Actually it's interference with an employment contract, i
I must have missed that in the Constitution. Can you point out where I can find it?

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3. Article 10, Clause 1.

Article 1 Section 8 clause 3 Says that Congress CAN regulate commerce.

Your interpretation of Article 1 Sectrion 10 is faulty

Your contention as noted in the above link would allow gambling even though it is later outlawed merely because there was a contract involved. False.

Your contention also is that that NO minimum wage is Constitutional. Clearly not the case since they have been in effect for decades,

That's the same crackpot rationale as claiming that income taxes are unconstitutional. Nonsense
It says the Congress can regulate interstate commerce, which means it can regulate the transportation of goods from one state to another. It doesn't mean Congress can regulate all economic activity.

I only wish that that were true.

Under our Dictator, FDR, that changed.

To see the abject cowardice of the Justices, note that in invalidating the Guffey-Vinson Coal Act on May 18, 1936, less than a year before Roosevelt attempted to pack the court, Justice Charles Evans Hughes said that federal laws restricting local labor relations provisions were unconstitutional, that "the relations of employer and employee is a local relation" and "the evils are all local evils over which the federal government has no legislative control."

He went on to say "Otherwise in view of the multitude of indirect effects Congress in its discretion could assume control of virtually all of the activities of the people to the subversion of the fundamental principles of the Constitution." And..."... it is not for the court to amend the Constitution by judicial decision." p. 70.

[And in a concurring opinion holding (298 U. S. 238) the Bituminous Coal Act of 1935 in conflict with the Constitution, this was said by Chief Justice Hughes:
"If the people desire to give Congress the power to regulate industries within the State, and the relation of employers and employees in those industries, they are at liberty to declare their will in the appropriate manner; but it is not for the Court to amend the Constitution by judicial decision." Bare Foots World - Life is better with us]

Sadly, eleven months later, Chief Justice Hughes, spoke for the majority in finding the Wagner Labor Relations Act constitutional. Yes, he said...Congress could regulate labor relations in manufacturing plants.

Exactly.

Because I don’t want to
I give a shit that you're a liar and a hypocrite. If you don't care whether people support the $15/hr minimum wage, then you would shut your fucking trap about it. People don't blather continually about stuff they don't care about.

Engaging in debate is not hypocrisy. I could take the other side of the argument and run circles around you. And here you are going off track to try and get personal. That’s a white flag if I’ve ever seen one.

There are stipulations on that also for certain industries and stipulations about a business with less than twenty employees.

Exactly.

Pages ago... remember even OKTexas corrected your mistake. Labor is an expense on the opposite side of the ledger than revenue. Labor would effect profits. Did you mean to say profits? You’re not the brightest bulb are ya?!

Exactly.

Because I don’t want to

Engaging in debate is not hypocrisy. I could take the other side of the argument and run circles around you. And here you are going off track to try and get personal. That’s a white flag if I’ve ever seen one.
They way you do it is hypocrisy. You claim you don't care about whether people support the $15/hr minimum wage, and then you immediately prove you're a liar. Pointing out your lies and hypocrisy is not "getting personal." It's arguing against your lies and hypocrisy.

Exactly.

Pages ago... remember even OKTexas corrected your mistake. Labor is an expense on the opposite side of the ledger than revenue. Labor would effect profits. Did you mean to say profits? You’re not the brightest bulb are ya?!
What a fucking moron. Perhaps I should have said "net revenue." However, it does affect revenue because charging higher prices to cover the cost increase reduces revenue.

llegal aliens work for less than minimum wage. Make them legal, force employers to pay them MW and RAISE the MW and the downward pressure on wages go away.

Importing millions of low-skilled illegal aliens, making them legal and hiking the minimum wage is not going to increase the demand for low-skilled native born US citizen workers.

Who determines the value an employee adds?

Math.

OK. Show your work

If you take $10 of input and turn it into an $18 product in 1 hour, you created $8 of value/hour.
The fact is that these immigrants do the work that American workers are too lazy to do, and $15 isn't going to change that. My view is that $15 is too high a wage for the kind of work that they do because that basic wage is a learning wage only.

Forum List

Back