Democrat Platform destroys the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

first of all you don’t know which laws I support or don’t support.

In this case do you think the guy with the record should be able to waltz into that store and buy a gun no questions asked?

Yes, he should be able to buy a gun, no questions asked. It's not the ownership of a gun that should make a criminal, it's what a person does with the gun. That the guy 2aguy mention, the one that shot 3 cops, was not able to legally buy a gun didn't stop him from getting a gun and shooting 3 cops. Being in prison for the entire legally possible time for armed robbery would have stopped him from shooting these cops.
I disagree I think limiting who we sell guns to makes a difference. I don’t think it stops everybody from getting a gun but it stops some. Plus every time the cops bust a straw buyer or an illegal gun transaction they are preventing guns from being obtained and used which would not happen if anybody could simply go buy from a store

They easily without universal background checks or registration, but, as my earlier post showed...prosecutors do not go after straw buyers and put them away for long prison sentences......

We do not need new gun laws....we need democrat party judges and prosecutors to keep violent, repeat gun offenders in jail...

America Should Be Prosecuting Straw Purchasers, Not Gun Dealers | National Review

Wisconsin isn’t alone in its nonchalance. California normally treats straw purchases as misdemeanors or minor infractions. Even as the people of Baltimore suffer horrific levels of violence, Maryland classifies the crime as a misdemeanor, too. Straw buying is a felony in progressive Connecticut, albeit one in the second-least-serious order of felonies. It is classified as a serious crime in Illinois (Class 2 felony), but police rarely (meaning “almost never”) go after the nephews and girlfriends with clean records who provide Chicago’s diverse and sundry gangsters with their weapons. In Delaware, it’s a Class F felony, like forging a check. In Oregon, it’s a misdemeanor.

--------

I visited Chicago a few years back to write about the city’s gang-driven murder problem, and a retired police official told me that the nature of the people making straw purchases — young relatives, girlfriends who may or may not have been facing the threat of physical violence, grandmothers, etc. — made prosecuting those cases unattractive.

In most of those cases, the authorities emphatically should put the straw purchasers in prison for as long as possible. Throw a few gangsters’ grandmothers behind bars for 20 years and see if that gets anybody’s attention. In the case of the young women suborned into breaking the law, that should be just another charge to put on the main offender.
I have no problem prosecuting straw buyers... but if we had it your way anybody could buy from gun stores and there would be no need for straw buyers. It wouldn’t be a crime to straw buy. So your arguments conflict with eachother. You either believe in infringing on the 2nd amendment and regulating who buys guns thus making straw buying a crime... or you don’t. Which is it?

Nope....I am fine with the current background check system for licensed gun stores and gun sellers......what we need is an instant system where you plug in the soc. sec. number and name and you see if the buyer is a felon.....gun stores need access to the actual data base cops use when they pull you over for a traffic ticket. We are stuck with that system....so being reasonable I will live with that....but no to universal background checks. They are pointless and useless.......

The current system doesn't stop criminals or mass shooters but I will leave it in place since, like masks, it is security theater....

It is already illegal to sell a gun to a felon.......we don't need universal background checks to do that......
Ok so you are being reasonable by supporting the current system but if you could have it your way would you do BG checks and restrict felons from owning firearms? Do you think those regulations are constitutional and effective?

Gun stores checking to see if you are a felon is likely Constitutional....for the sale of private property...no. ..And background checks.......they are not effective...as our gun crime rates in democrat party controlled cities show.
I’m curious. Do you personally know anybody who wants a gun but is unable to get one because of overregulation?

Guns? Yes....my brother and his wife have applied for a Firearm Owners I.D. card weeks ago.......without that card they can't buy or own a gun.....they are not criminals, they are law abiding...but because of the back log created by our Governor taking funds from the State Police for exactly the reason of slowing down the process....they can't get a gun. They aren't the only people.......I am have been waiting even longer to get my renewed FOID card....

For Concealed carry permits here in Illinois...my boss at work works 80 hours a week and couldn't find the time to get 16 hours of training to get his concealed carry permit......

And I know a few people here on the board who live in states where it is pretty much impossible to get concealed carry permits, and I know John Stossel, the reporter....was denied a concealed carry permit.....
Where does your brother live?

In this case do you think the guy with the record should be able to waltz into that store and buy a gun no questions asked?

Yes, he should be able to buy a gun, no questions asked. It's not the ownership of a gun that should make a criminal, it's what a person does with the gun. That the guy 2aguy mention, the one that shot 3 cops, was not able to legally buy a gun didn't stop him from getting a gun and shooting 3 cops. Being in prison for the entire legally possible time for armed robbery would have stopped him from shooting these cops.
I disagree I think limiting who we sell guns to makes a difference. I don’t think it stops everybody from getting a gun but it stops some. Plus every time the cops bust a straw buyer or an illegal gun transaction they are preventing guns from being obtained and used which would not happen if anybody could simply go buy from a store

They easily without universal background checks or registration, but, as my earlier post showed...prosecutors do not go after straw buyers and put them away for long prison sentences......

We do not need new gun laws....we need democrat party judges and prosecutors to keep violent, repeat gun offenders in jail...

America Should Be Prosecuting Straw Purchasers, Not Gun Dealers | National Review

Wisconsin isn’t alone in its nonchalance. California normally treats straw purchases as misdemeanors or minor infractions. Even as the people of Baltimore suffer horrific levels of violence, Maryland classifies the crime as a misdemeanor, too. Straw buying is a felony in progressive Connecticut, albeit one in the second-least-serious order of felonies. It is classified as a serious crime in Illinois (Class 2 felony), but police rarely (meaning “almost never”) go after the nephews and girlfriends with clean records who provide Chicago’s diverse and sundry gangsters with their weapons. In Delaware, it’s a Class F felony, like forging a check. In Oregon, it’s a misdemeanor.

--------

I visited Chicago a few years back to write about the city’s gang-driven murder problem, and a retired police official told me that the nature of the people making straw purchases — young relatives, girlfriends who may or may not have been facing the threat of physical violence, grandmothers, etc. — made prosecuting those cases unattractive.

In most of those cases, the authorities emphatically should put the straw purchasers in prison for as long as possible. Throw a few gangsters’ grandmothers behind bars for 20 years and see if that gets anybody’s attention. In the case of the young women suborned into breaking the law, that should be just another charge to put on the main offender.
I have no problem prosecuting straw buyers... but if we had it your way anybody could buy from gun stores and there would be no need for straw buyers. It wouldn’t be a crime to straw buy. So your arguments conflict with eachother. You either believe in infringing on the 2nd amendment and regulating who buys guns thus making straw buying a crime... or you don’t. Which is it?

Nope....I am fine with the current background check system for licensed gun stores and gun sellers......what we need is an instant system where you plug in the soc. sec. number and name and you see if the buyer is a felon.....gun stores need access to the actual data base cops use when they pull you over for a traffic ticket. We are stuck with that system....so being reasonable I will live with that....but no to universal background checks. They are pointless and useless.......

The current system doesn't stop criminals or mass shooters but I will leave it in place since, like masks, it is security theater....

It is already illegal to sell a gun to a felon.......we don't need universal background checks to do that......
Ok so you are being reasonable by supporting the current system but if you could have it your way would you do BG checks and restrict felons from owning firearms? Do you think those regulations are constitutional and effective?

Gun stores checking to see if you are a felon is likely Constitutional....for the sale of private property...no. ..And background checks.......they are not effective...as our gun crime rates in democrat party controlled cities show.
I’m curious. Do you personally know anybody who wants a gun but is unable to get one because of overregulation?

Guns? Yes....my brother and his wife have applied for a Firearm Owners I.D. card weeks ago.......without that card they can't buy or own a gun.....they are not criminals, they are law abiding...but because of the back log created by our Governor taking funds from the State Police for exactly the reason of slowing down the process....they can't get a gun. They aren't the only people.......I am have been waiting even longer to get my renewed FOID card....

For Concealed carry permits here in Illinois...my boss at work works 80 hours a week and couldn't find the time to get 16 hours of training to get his concealed carry permit......

And I know a few people here on the board who live in states where it is pretty much impossible to get concealed carry permits, and I know John Stossel, the reporter....was denied a concealed carry permit.....

Chicago....

Oh...I also have a friend who has been trying to buy an AR-15 rifle......he can't get a definitive answer on whether or not he can legally own it in Cook County.....he has tried the police, a lawyer and several others who can't tell him if he can buy it and keep it at his house.

--------

Chicago....

Oh...I also have a friend who has been trying to buy an AR-15 rifle......he can't get a definitive answer on whether or not he can legally own it in Cook County.....he has tried the police, a lawyer and several others who can't tell him if he can buy it and keep it at his house.
That’s too bad. I live in both Texas and California. I own 12 guns, 5 hand guns 7 rifles. Much easier to get a gun and carry in Texas... a few more hoops to jump through in Cali. To be honest I don’t mind the hoops much. Let’s me know that those legally getting and carrying guns are responsible. I know a lot of whackos out there and the thought of them carrying scares me. Many of them do have guns but at least those with record can easily get them. They would need to take an illegal route to get them which is a deterrent and obstacle that I’m glad is in place.

I'm not smoking anything. Maybe I should so I can understand your post.
Oh really? You mean there ain't no smoking gun with your fingerprints on it?

You're telling me a cop is taking your fingerprints at a gun sale to register your "lawfully" purchased Firearms for any other reason than to put you in prison? No. They hold even a legal gun purchase against you like a felony on your record the rest of your life.

If it doesn't stop criminals or mass shooters and if, like masks, it is nothing more than security theater, then why would you leave it in place? It's an infringement. Having an ever-growing class of citizens who are forbidden from owning guns is an infringement.

Only through licensed dealers....the system we currently have....and only if we can get the same data base the cops use and make background check instant. No reason that with the tech we have that we can't do that.

Felons should be restricted and we can discuss for how long after they are off of parole...

With my plan, however, violent gun criminals would be serving 30 years for any crime.... real crime.....committed with a gun.....and attempted murder or murder with a gun would be life...but preferably the death penalty...

So...... embezzle money and become a felon...lose your right to own a gun till your time is served....use a gun for rape, robbery or murder.......you go away minimum 30 years....no parole.

So, you agree with Slade3200 that reasonable restrictions and infringements are OK. Your only disagreement with him and O'Rourke are what infringements are reasonable.

It was also the original intent to give states and the federal legislature the ability to make laws to reflect the needs of the time which they live. The conditions in the 1700s and 1800s were very different. The founders wrote the constitution in a way to give us the ability to adapt it as we see fit through amendments and the legislative branch of government

No, they did not give us a way to modify the Constitution through legislation. If you want to change it you have to amend it. You could remove the explicit protection for the right to keep and bear arms by constitutional amendment. You could not, however, actually remove the right. You'd also have to remove the 9th and 10th Amendments to fully remove the protections and that, still, would not eliminate the right. The right to defend oneself, against evil people or evil government, is inalienable and can never be removed. It can be infringed, but never revoked.

Should the Bill of Rights be decimated in order to remove the protections to the right to keep and bear arms, and should government begin to enforce by brute force their infringements, then we must fall back to the original founding document of the United States of America: The Declaration of Independence.

Only through licensed dealers....the system we currently have....and only if we can get the same data base the cops use and make background check instant. No reason that with the tech we have that we can't do that.

Felons should be restricted and we can discuss for how long after they are off of parole...

With my plan, however, violent gun criminals would be serving 30 years for any crime.... real crime.....committed with a gun.....and attempted murder or murder with a gun would be life...but preferably the death penalty...

So...... embezzle money and become a felon...lose your right to own a gun till your time is served....use a gun for rape, robbery or murder.......you go away minimum 30 years....no parole.

So, you agree with Slade3200 that reasonable restrictions and infringements are OK. Your only disagreement with him and O'Rourke are what infringements are reasonable.
I was hoping you two would engage. I’ll make some popcorn

If it doesn't stop criminals or mass shooters and if, like masks, it is nothing more than security theater, then why would you leave it in place? It's an infringement. Having an ever-growing class of citizens who are forbidden from owning guns is an infringement.

Because it is already in place, and removing it would be too much of a fight......better to use our energy keeping universal background checks out.

Reasonable restrictions are not okay. But we need to stop the forward movement before we can take ground back. We can't get Republicans to pass national carry, how do you think we are going to get them to back ending current federal background checks at gun stores....?

Is that right? So let me ask you. If somebody goes to jail for murder should they be allowed to take a gun with them to prison? Should they be able to get one Rightafter they are released?

No, they can't take a gun with them to prison. Yes, when they get out they should be able to buy a gun on their way home - or the guns they had before prison are already waiting for them. That's how it was for the first 150 years in this country. That is clearly original intent.
It was also the original intent to give states and the federal legislature the ability to make laws to reflect the needs of the time which they live. The conditions in the 1700s and 1800s were very different. The founders wrote the constitution in a way to give us the ability to adapt it as we see fit through amendments and the legislative branch of government
How does that give the SC the authority to legislate from the bench?
They don’t have the right to legislate from the bench.
Speech and assembly are Rights but there are limits imposed on each. We have Rights, we don't have absolute Rights, they are all limited in one way or another.
The limits are never what SJW assholes claim they are.
Not SJW, but SCOTUS.
It's not up to the courts to supersede the Constitution
For that, it would take a Constitutional convention
OR
Congress amending the Constitution and with the approval of 2/3rds of the states
The courts interpret the Constitution and their say is final until the Constitution is changed.
The courts cannot alter the bill of rights, it's not their job only Congress and 2/3rds of the states can do that
IT'S CALLED AMENDMENT
Your understanding of the US gov't is faulty. The SCOTUS can do pretty much what they like since they have the power to interpret. They can interpret the 2nd amendment to apply to militias or they can interpret it to mean individuals. They have done both:
  • In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment did not protect weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia".[17][18]
  • In Heller, the Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that held the amendment protects an individual's right to keep a gun for self-defense.[19][20]
We understand that the SC has set itself up as the final arbiter of the law. However, the Constitution give it no such authority.

Reasonable restrictions are not okay. But we need to stop the forward movement before we can take ground back. We can't get Republicans to pass national carry, how do you think we are going to get them to back ending current federal background checks at gun stores....?
Booooo, you’re backing off you earlier argument that felons should not be able to buy guns. That’s weak, I was looking for a good debate

Booooo, you’re backing off you earlier argument that felons should not be able to buy guns. That’s weak, I was looking for a good debate

Nope....... a guy who is a felon for embezzling money isn't the same as a guy who uses a gun for rape, robbery or murder.....

Again, here is my plan for actual criminals who use guns for crime....

I support a life sentence on any criminal who uses a gun for an actual gun crime..... and 30 years if a criminal is caught in possession of a gun, even if they are not using it at that moment for crime.

This will dry up gun crime over night. Criminals will stop using guns for robberies, rapes and murders.....and those who do will be gone forever......

Criminals will also stop walking around with guns in their pants......which is the leading cause of random gang shootings in our cities. if they are stopped by police, with a gun in their pants, they are gone for 30 years...they will stop carrying those guns, and random gang violence will end.

You implement this with two other things...

1) No More Bargaining Away the Gun Charge.........it must be against the law to bargain away a gun charge as part of a plea deal....this stops.

2) When a criminal is arrested for any crime, and booked in...they will be read the announcement that any use of a crime is a life sentence without parole, owning or carrying a gun as a felon is a 30 year sentence without parole....when they are released from custody...the same will be read to them again....when they meet their parole officer it will be read to them again.....the U.S. government will also buy and send out Public announcements on this policy on t.v. radio. and cable......

That is how you stop gun crime over night.

Mass shooters are different..... but with only 93 people killed in mass public shootings in 2018, they are not the major problem in gun crime.

The value in my plan......it actually targets the individuals actually using guns to commit crimes and murder people....

It does not require new background check laws, it does not require gun licensing, licensing gun owners, gun registration, new taxes, fees or regulations on guns...

By making gun crime a life sentence, criminals will stop using guns for crime and will stop carrying guns around for protection.....

Also....a nurse, with a legal gun, driving from Pennsylvania, to New Jersey, will not be considered a gun criminal.....that will end. Criminals with a record of crime, caught with a gun will get 30 years, no deals.....and criminals who use guns for actual crime...robbing the local store, rape, robbery, murder.....life without parole...

This, of course, eliminates the need for more gun control laws...we can already do this.....

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

2) get the media to stop covering mass shootings like it is the Oscars.....

3) We are already seeing this...get people who know these nuts to report these nuts....

4) Make sure the police who know these nuts arrest these nuts when they have the chance so they will pop on background checks....

What does each do to stop mass shooters....

1) keeps shooters from targeting people, since they target gun free zones.

2) The media not covering it like they are the criminal oscars deters copycats...just like they stopped covering teen suicides to stop the copycat effect

3) The only way to stop mass shooters, since they commit no other crime, is for family, coworkers and neighbors to report their violent behavior....the Odessa shooter should have felonies for the crimes he was committing but they didn't report his shooting his weapon from his front porch....

4) The Parkland shooter had 33 contacts with police and numerous contacts with police at his school.....due to Obama's "Promise Program" the police never arrested him for the felonies he committed....so he didn't pop on the background check..

Nope....... a guy who is a felon for embezzling money isn't the same as a guy who uses a gun for rape, robbery or murder.....

I support a life sentence on any criminal who uses a gun for an actual gun crime..... and 30 years if a criminal is caught in possession of a gun, even if they are not using it at that moment for crime.

This will dry up gun crime over night. Criminals will stop using guns for robberies, rapes and murders.....and those who do will be gone forever......

Criminals will also stop walking around with guns in their pants......which is the leading cause of random gang shootings in our cities. if they are stopped by police, with a gun in their pants, they are gone for 30 years...they will stop carrying those guns, and random gang violence will end.

1) No More Bargaining Away the Gun Charge.........it must be against the law to bargain away a gun charge as part of a plea deal....this stops.

2) When a criminal is arrested for any crime, and booked in...they will be read the announcement that any use of a crime is a life sentence without parole, owning or carrying a gun as a felon is a 30 year sentence without parole....when they are released from custody...the same will be read to them again....when they meet their parole officer it will be read to them again.....the U.S. government will also buy and send out Public announcements on this policy on t.v. radio. and cable......

Mass shooters are different..... but with only 93 people killed in mass public shootings in 2018, they are not the major problem in gun crime.

The value in my plan......it actually targets the individuals actually using guns to commit crimes and murder people....

It does not require new background check laws, it does not require gun licensing, licensing gun owners, gun registration, new taxes, fees or regulations on guns...

By making gun crime a life sentence, criminals will stop using guns for crime and will stop carrying guns around for protection.....

Also....a nurse, with a legal gun, driving from Pennsylvania, to New Jersey, will not be considered a gun criminal.....that will end. Criminals with a record of crime, caught with a gun will get 30 years, no deals.....and criminals who use guns for actual crime...robbing the local store, rape, robbery, murder.....life without parole...

This, of course, eliminates the need for more gun control laws...we can already do this.....

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

3) We are already seeing this...get people who know these nuts to report these nuts....

4) Make sure the police who know these nuts arrest these nuts when they have the chance so they will pop on background checks....

2) The media not covering it like they are the criminal oscars deters copycats...just like they stopped covering teen suicides to stop the copycat effect

3) The only way to stop mass shooters, since they commit no other crime, is for family, coworkers and neighbors to report their violent behavior....the Odessa shooter should have felonies for the crimes he was committing but they didn't report his shooting his weapon from his front porch....

4) The Parkland shooter had 33 contacts with police and numerous contacts with police at his school.....due to Obama's "Promise Program" the police never arrested him for the felonies he committed....so he didn't pop on the background check..
Why shouldn’t gang members be allowed to walk around with a gun in their pants? Isn’t that their right? And to be clear you are supporting banning violent felons from owning guns right?

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

Why shouldn’t gang members be allowed to walk around with a gun in their pants? Isn’t that their right? And to be clear you are supporting banning violent felons from owning guns right?

Yep......violent felons...no guns.

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

Under my plan they would be in jail.....so it becomes a non issue. If democrats let them out they should not be able to own or carry a gun.....and should be arrested and jailed if they do....

Do you not see a difference between a white collar, non violent criminal who didn't use a weapon, vs. a violent criminal who uses a gun for rape, robbery and murder?

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

Under my plan they would be in jail.....so it becomes a non issue. If democrats let them out they should not be able to own or carry a gun.....and should be arrested and jailed if they do....
Thanks for clearing that up. Where does the constitution allow for released felons to be stripped of their rights to bare arms? Wouldn’t that be infringement?

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

Thanks for clearing that up. Where does the constitution allow for released felons to be stripped of their rights to bare arms? Wouldn’t that be infringement?

In most places they lose the right to vote. It may be a question for the Supreme Court......

At the same time.....would you allow child molestors to be able to work with children after their sentence?

Mass shooters

1) end gun free zones

How about computer criminals who are banned from using computers or the internet?

Forum List

Back