Democrat introduces bill to restore voting rights to millions of convicted felons

The system's goal should be CORRECTION and rehabilitation.

When a person served his time, the hounding should stop.
There is no CORRECTION or rehabilitation in "the system".

"The system" is graduate school for criminals.

I beg to differ. When you say that there is no correction you are saying in effect that all who have ever been incarcerated are automatically criminals for the rest of their lives.

If you really believe that, look in the mirror and you will see an ignorant know-it-all.

Some people who commit a crime realize that crime does not pay. Those who don't are the ones you write off as crime school graduates.

But if you are capable, stop for a deep breath.

Some people who got fined for speeding will never speed again.
Some people who got fined for being late in their tax payments will never be late paying their taxes again.
Almost all people who ever had to spend time in the "hole" would never want to go back there again.
Most people who ever had the pleasure of being free would never want to be incarcerated again.

If you are incapable of seeing redemption, reformation, correction and sincere "sorry-I-did-that" you are about as beyond hope as the ones you would like to send to prison forever. I pity you and feel sorry for you.

Have you ever heard the expression: "But by the grace of God......"?

Millions of Americans whose past felony convictions forbid them from casting ballots may regain voting rights under a bill introduced this week in Congress.

The Democracy Restoration Act of 2015, introduced by Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), would allow all former inmates to vote in elections for federal offices. Currently, the bill notes, nearly 6 million Americans are barred from voting. Three-fourths of them are finished serving their sentences and would have their voting rights restored if the bill becomes law.

"Disenfranchising citizens who have been convicted of a criminal offense and who are living and working in the community serves no compelling State interest and hinders their rehabilitation and reintegration into society," Conyers writes in the bill. He adds: "The United States is the only Western democracy that permits the permanent denial of voting rights for individuals with felony convictions."

The bill would not apply to elections for local and state offices. Currently, only Maine and Vermont do not restrict current or former inmates from voting, 35 states ban former inmates who are on parole from voting, 31 ban them while on felony probation, and 11 mandate lifetime voting bans in some cases, according to the bill.

The legislation would end a ban that disproportionately affects black Americans, who face disenfranchisement at four times the rate of non-black citizens.

"Just as poll taxes and literacy tests prevented an entire class of citizens, namely African Americans, from integrating into society after centuries of slavery, ex-offender disenfranchisement laws prevent people from reintegrating into society after they have paid their debt by serving time in prison," Conyers said in a statement, according to The Hill.

Millions Of Convicts Would Get Restored Voting Rights Under New Bill

Sounds reasonable to me.

Only States can restore voting rights, Mr. Conyers might need a refresher course on the Constitution, there are no elections to federal offices. only elections for State representatives to congress or State electors to the electoral college. Also the Constitution charges States with running their own elections and most States have procedures for the restoration of voting rights, congress doesn't have the authority to interfere. But I doubt it will ever make it out of committee.

Are you saying Congress doesn't have authority over "federal" elections?

I just explained in detail that federal elections don't exist, they only exist in liberal la la land.

"Disenfranchising citizens who have been convicted of a criminal offense and who are living and working in the community serves no compelling State interest and hinders their rehabilitation and reintegration into society,"

True.

There's nothing justifying additional penalties beyond that of the original sentence, once the ex-offender has served that sentence.
I am sure you would relish a convicted pedophile teaching in elementary schools.
This is unsurprisingly idiotic and ridiculous demagoguery, and fails as a non sequitur fallacy.

It's also ignorant, as convicted sex offenders aren't allowed to work with children.

Allowing ex-offenders to vote has nothing to do with what job they might have, or appropriate policies by employers prohibiting certain ex-offenders from employment as a consequence of their offense.

Millions of Americans whose past felony convictions forbid them from casting ballots may regain voting rights under a bill introduced this week in Congress.

The Democracy Restoration Act of 2015, introduced by Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), would allow all former inmates to vote in elections for federal offices. Currently, the bill notes, nearly 6 million Americans are barred from voting. Three-fourths of them are finished serving their sentences and would have their voting rights restored if the bill becomes law.

"Disenfranchising citizens who have been convicted of a criminal offense and who are living and working in the community serves no compelling State interest and hinders their rehabilitation and reintegration into society," Conyers writes in the bill. He adds: "The United States is the only Western democracy that permits the permanent denial of voting rights for individuals with felony convictions."

The bill would not apply to elections for local and state offices. Currently, only Maine and Vermont do not restrict current or former inmates from voting, 35 states ban former inmates who are on parole from voting, 31 ban them while on felony probation, and 11 mandate lifetime voting bans in some cases, according to the bill.

The legislation would end a ban that disproportionately affects black Americans, who face disenfranchisement at four times the rate of non-black citizens.

"Just as poll taxes and literacy tests prevented an entire class of citizens, namely African Americans, from integrating into society after centuries of slavery, ex-offender disenfranchisement laws prevent people from reintegrating into society after they have paid their debt by serving time in prison," Conyers said in a statement, according to The Hill.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Only States can restore voting rights, Mr. Conyers might need a refresher course on the Constitution, there are no elections to federal offices. only elections for State representatives to congress or State electors to the electoral college. Also the Constitution charges States with running their own elections and most States have procedures for the restoration of voting rights, congress doesn't have the authority to interfere. But I doubt it will ever make it out of committee.

I just explained in detail that federal elections don't exist, they only exist in liberal la la land.

Federal offices exist - therefore federal elections exist - even though they take place within the states.

Sounds reasonable to me.

There are no federal elections, as you note.

Sounds reasonable to me.

There are no federal elections, as you note.

What? Really?

...and you think this will get through either house?

You are a special kind of stupid aren't you?

Jones, report him for a serious rules violation.

He is getting his rhetorical ass whipped here and is lashing out to hurt, nothing more.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Federal offices exist - therefore federal elections exist - even though they take place within the states.

Ok, quote the constitution and show me where I got it wrong.

Sure, America will be pissed that we didn't allow the law that keeps crooks from voting in their own interest.

Gotta love the Left....bereft of any real brains.

Says one who is probably criminal right.

But, yes, the bill will not even clear committee.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Ok, quote the constitution and show me where I got it wrong.

Read the Constitution on federal elections, such as Articles One and Two, along with various related amendments.

Forum List

Back